7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Apr 19, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #3,931 of 4,270
For me the small JVC Spiral dot tips work best.

7hz legato.jpg

Apr 19, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #3,933 of 4,270
Sweet! But I think the question was about what tips were being described as being used on the OG Timeless. :)
For me the Final E tips that I also use on my other iems work best out of the ones I’ve tried

Apr 19, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #3,935 of 4,270
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful
Thank you very much. It helped me a lot. Very nice to read such a good answer from you. Actually I only have the Airpods Pro 2. Before I had the Samsung Galaxy Buds+ and Sony WF-1000XM3. I like all of them. I think they have similar technicallities, Apple and Sony with a bit of a fun signature, the Buds+ very neutral and a bit thin but with good and a bit more clarity. Actually I only have the Hifiman Edition XS and I am looking for an IEM which is different. I know the Blessing 2 Dusk seems to be very good but the seal is not the best with smaller ears. So I discovered the timeless AE which delivers more fun. I think a sound signature like the Emu Teak or Denon 5200 could be fine. Not the same like the XS. The AE could be that IEM. Is that correct? I would use it for rock and metal music.

The next thing is what's the best Dongle for the AE? S9Pro, 9038, Fiio Q3s or Topping G5? I think the last both are only necessare for over ears. They don't offer better sound than the first two which are smaller. Is that correct? If yes: I will pick the AE and one of the dongles or portable amps I mentioned above.

Apr 19, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #3,936 of 4,270
The next thing is what's the best Dongle for the AE? S9Pro, 9038, Fiio Q3s or Topping G5? I think the last both are only necessare for over ears. They don't offer better sound than the first two which are smaller. Is that correct? If yes: I will pick the AE and one of the dongles or portable amps I mentioned above.
While I do think Fiio Q3s an Topping G5 may have some marginally better dynamics due to more power headroom, they are a bit overkill, so unless you plan on getting full-size headphones, it is safe to go with simple dongles. I would recommend Fiio KA5, Colorfly CDA-M1, or for the ultimate experience, Questyle M15.

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #3,937 of 4,270
Sweet! But I think the question was about what tips were being described as being used on the OG Timeless. :)

I had a difficult fit with my Timeless until I sprung for the SpinFit W1 tips. They are very grippy and as a consequence don't slip out. The seal is outstanding and so is the comfort. I have the large on my Timeless and the mediums on my Kato. The smalls are on my E5000. Best $20 USD I've spent yet on ear tips.

Apr 19, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #3,940 of 4,270
Can you tell me the difference between the 2 Dusk and Timeless AE? I saw you have both of them.
Quick and dirty comparison.
Bass: TLAE > B2D
Mids: B2D > TLAE
Treble: TLAE > B2D
Resolution: TLAE > B2D
Soundstage: B2D > TLAE
Timbre Quality: B2D > TLAE
Comfort: TLAE > B2D

Apr 19, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #3,941 of 4,270
Thank you very much. It helped me a lot. Very nice to read such a good answer from you. Actually I only have the Airpods Pro 2. Before I had the Samsung Galaxy Buds+ and Sony WF-1000XM3. I like all of them. I think they have similar technicallities, Apple and Sony with a bit of a fun signature, the Buds+ very neutral and a bit thin but with good and a bit more clarity. Actually I only have the Hifiman Edition XS and I am looking for an IEM which is different. I know the Blessing 2 Dusk seems to be very good but the seal is not the best with smaller ears. So I discovered the timeless AE which delivers more fun. I think a sound signature like the Emu Teak or Denon 5200 could be fine. Not the same like the XS. The AE could be that IEM. Is that correct? I would use it for rock and metal music.

You are welcome, and I hope that you get the best for your ears! :)

So basically you are looking to jump more into the fun side, rather than going more analytical? I think the Timeless would do that well, and since you already are familiar with planar timbre, I would double down on that.
While I do think Fiio Q3s an Topping G5 may have some marginally better dynamics due to more power headroom, they are a bit overkill, so unless you plan on getting full-size headphones, it is safe to go with simple dongles. I would recommend Fiio KA5, Colorfly CDA-M1, or for the ultimate experience, Questyle M15.
I would (respectfully) disagree on this point. All three of the big names in planar IEMs (7Hz, Raptgo, and Letshuore) scale very well with more power (especially available current, which most dongles have very little of; though not saying none do). I think that having 1.2W available will not only make them sound great, but they will be future proof also. But, those are my thoughts alone, and YMMV of course. :)

Now, I don't know about the Timeless AE, but with the OG Timeless, going from a lower power source to higher power source, there is a noticeable difference in sonic performance. At 1.2W I think they probably sound their best, and don't really scale with any more power (2W is the max tested by me). Of course, this may also all depend on the synergy between different devices.

@NexusOne I might make a suggestion (unless you just really want to use a portable DAC/Amp or dongle). For the kind of money you are talking about with the Topping, you could buy a DAP that has as much power on tap. For instance, the iBasso DX170 is about the same size, and has about 1.2W power, but is also an AIO (having android on board). I suppose the thought came to me, that if you are going to carry two devices anyhow, you could eliminate the need for HAVING to carry more than one if you felt like it. Just some food for thought. But it is my opinion only, that you wouldn't be able to get the full potential out of them from a dongle (unless it was one heck of a powerhouse). Having said that, some people might prefer the "under driven" state that you might get when they are under damped. After all the bass gets boomier, and the treble is not as crisp and defined. This could be considered a sort of "fun" tuning... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 19, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #3,942 of 4,270
Quick and dirty comparison.
Bass: TLAE > B2D
Mids: B2D > TLAE
Treble: TLAE > B2D
Resolution: TLAE > B2D
Soundstage: B2D > TLAE
Timbre Quality: B2D > TLAE
Comfort: TLAE > B2D
What makes the B2D better in the mids? And can it be fixed with EQ?

Apr 19, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #3,943 of 4,270
I would (respectfully) disagree on this point. All three of the big names in planar IEMs (7Hz, Raptgo, and Letshuore) scale very well with more power
I did not say that they don't scale, just that I feel the difference is marginal (unless if you make a bigger jump, of course).
(especially available current, which most dongles have very little of; though not saying none do).
That is why my top suggestion is the M15, which is the only one with current-biased amping (other than its outdated predecessor, M12).
Now, I don't know about the Timeless AE, but with the OG Timeless, going from a lower power source to higher power source, there is a noticeable difference in sonic performance. At 1.2W I think they probably sound their best, and don't really scale with any more power (2W is the max tested by me). Of course, this may also all depend on the synergy between different devices.
I do run my TLAE with my A90D-D90SE, and I can definitely tell you that it sounds great with them, but I think M15 can get really close to the experience at a fraction of the price. So, I'm also giving a suggestion based on the price of TLAE and convenience factor too. I feel that judging the performance on the amp's wattage may be quite misleading, especially with planar, where the amp's bias (current or voltage) would be more crucial. Of course having more power on tap (as you said, 1.2W and above) will just negate any need of pairing optimization, but as I alluded to the M15 suggestion above, I think going with somewhat of an optimized pairing will also be a good approach. Of course, your suggestion will work too, especially in future upgrade path.
For instance, the iBasso DX170 is about the same size, and has about 1.2W power, but is also an AIO (having android on board).
It's going to be a bit nitpicky, sorry in advance. IIRC, iBasso has never released any official wattage of DX170, but only the RMS voltage without specifying the impedance. 1.2W is assuming that the 6.4V is measured at 32ohm, which is a very optimistic assumption, IMO. Regardless, DX170 is still a fine suggestion and should still be able to power TLAE optimally.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #3,944 of 4,270
What makes the B2D better in the mids? And can it be fixed with EQ?
I like my mids to be slightly more forward. Also, B2D having a more natural timbre does improve my perception of the mids. I don't experiment with EQ much, so I can't answer about it. Regardless, I don't think TLAE's mids need fixing per se, they're fine as it is; the point about B2D having better mids is more about personal preferences.

Apr 19, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #3,945 of 4,270
And could you do it also with the Monarch Mk2? But only for information. It is too big for my ears. But your comparison would be very interesting.

Is a weaker dongle better for the AE because of the lower cpu / RFI / EMI noise of a more powerful G5?

I also have the Edition XS like you. The AE is a planar, too. But it is another signature. More fun and v-shaped. Or is it possible to compare a planar iem with a planar over ear? If yes: Please make a dirty comparison like the post above with the Dusk :wink:.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back