7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Apr 9, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #3,841 of 4,275
Is it worth to open and mod the OG Timeless? I don't like the bad passive isolation. My other IEMs isolate better.
Sealing it up would for sure change the sound. I’d assume it would reduce the bass quite a bit.

Apr 9, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #3,842 of 4,275
The original cable is perfectly decent and there is no reason to change it apart from aesthetics, the supplied cable can and does not cripple the dynamic, treble and bass. At most if the impedance is raised with an aftermarket cable you will see a rise in bass but you may as well use an impedance adapter.

Steady on man those are some harsh truths you're laying down there. Those that need to believe in magical fairy dust to justify their cable habit may not be able to deal..

How much impedance increase are we talking about for a bass boost and would the trade off than be in the clarity and separation. That's been my experience when measuring cables. Lower impedance = increased resolution. I didn't notice bass boosts but I didn't try many ranges. Just played with a couple of cables I had.

Also where the hell has my like button gone?! Its totally disappeared.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #3,843 of 4,275
Is it worth to open and mod the OG Timeless? I don't like the bad passive isolation. My other IEMs isolate better.

You can tune the bass to have more impact by increasing airflow in the nozzle by rotating the foam in there and changing the filter mesh to 500. I was planning to do this to mine but didn't get around to it. Not sure about increasing isolation though. I agree they lack a bit here which reduces their usability options. Try sealing the vent and see how they go.

I had Xiaomi Piston Hd's years ago that had an easy bass mod you could do by sealing the vent. It increased it a lot but probably reduced the driver lifespan.

Apr 10, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #3,844 of 4,275
Now that I've listened to the Aful Performer5 for a bit, I have posted my impressions on the Aful Thread. I'm not sure if I should just post the exact same thing on here as on the Aful Thread or not, it's mostly over the Performer5. I think it's unnecessary. Here's the little comparison with The Timeless AE on the end of my impression.

Against the 7Hz Timeless AE:

A quick comparison with my Timeless AE shows, that the P5 can stand it's own.
I like the signature and tonality of the P5 more. The biggest win over the Timeless AE are the dynamics. Live recordings sound very good and not compressed like the AE's. The P5 play all what you throw at them on a high level. The vocals on the Timeless AE are full-bodied and deep male vocals are amazing, the whole sound of the AE is so thick and full, it's nuts. That's the best things of the AE's.

In the end, it's depends on what you want. The 7Hz Timeless AE is pure engagement and fun, the Performer5 is an allround-workhorse.

For those who are interessted in my full opinion of the Performer5, here's the link:
Post in thread 'Aful Performance 5 Impressions Thread'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aful-performance-5-impressions-thread.966207/post-17504939

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #3,845 of 4,275
I'd recommend changing the tips. Modification is unlikely to give you an improvement in passive isolation.

Apr 10, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #3,846 of 4,275
Now that I've listened to the Aful Performer5 for a bit, I have posted my impressions on the Aful Thread. I'm not sure if I should just post the exact same thing on here as on the Aful Thread or not, it's mostly over the Performer5. I think it's unnecessary. Here's the little comparison with The Timeless AE on the end of my impression.

Against the 7Hz Timeless AE:

A quick comparison with my Timeless AE shows, that the P5 can stand it's own.
I like the signature and tonality of the P5 more. The biggest win over the Timeless AE are the dynamics. Live recordings sound very good and not compressed like the AE's. The P5 play all what you throw at them on a high level. The vocals on the Timeless AE are full-bodied and deep male vocals are amazing, the whole sound of the AE is so thick and full, it's nuts. That's the best things of the AE's.

In the end, it's depends on what you want. The 7Hz Timeless AE is pure engagement and fun, the Performer5 is an allround-workhorse.
The Timeless AE scales immensely on top chains. Do not know what you are using but I listen to the AE on my Mojo2 and sometimes TT2 and it is beaten on some aspects only by Mest, Z1R, Helios, MMk2.

Apr 10, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #3,847 of 4,275
The Timeless AE scales immensely on top chains. Do not know what you are using but I listen to the AE on my Mojo2 and sometimes TT2 and it is beaten on some aspects only by Mest, Z1R, Helios, MMk2.
I just don‘t like a too dark tuning. The AE has a great soundquality for this price, they‘re far from bad. It‘s just not perfect for me.

The thing with better sources could be true, but I use all my stuff on the same amps/dacs and the Timeless AE is definately darker as the Performer5. If you love that kind of tuning, good for you. Your amps are better, but they still can‘t change the character of an iem/headphone completely. My amps/dacs are more on the warm side, that‘s a fact and I don‘t deny that, but the AE‘s are darker itself than many other iems that I have.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #3,848 of 4,275
You all should look on my postings on here. Did I every wrote, the Timeless AE are bad?
I say that since I'm on this thread that they're great, just to dark for my preference. Later I appreciated them even more for what they are.
Now that I've tried the Performer5 I still say the AE is great and fun, just the dynamics on live recordings are missing for ME! What's wrong with that? I like both, but I prefer the P5 because it has a better tonality on MY sources. I will still use both depending on my mood. I never said: Timeless AE = crap, Performer5 = Great
It's MY experience on MY sources from MY Genres that I listen too.

PS: My whole gear is still my signature 😉

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #3,849 of 4,275
You all should look on my postings on here. Did I every wrote, the Timeless AE are bad?
I say that since I'm on this thread that they're great, just to dark for my preference. Later I appreciated them even more for what they are.
Now that I've tried the Performer5 I still say the AE is great and fun, just the dynamics on live recordings are missing for ME! What's wrong with that? I like both, but I prefer the P5 because it has a better tonality on MY sources. I will still use both depending on my mood. I never said: Timeless AE = crap, Performer5 = Great

I prefer my ER4SR (with a little bass shelf) more than my Timeless AE. I still like my Timeless AE too though.

Apr 10, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #3,850 of 4,275
At your guys' recco, I pulled the Timeless from sale here, opened them up and am listening now (none of my other mmcx cables seem to fit, tho that doesn't surprise me) with the stock cable.

Glad you guys convinced me...at this price point, or at 10x the price, they do sound excellent and are able to stand with my kilobuck sets very admirably!

Listening now thru my P6Pro and I have zero complaints, even after exclusively listening to Mentor for the past several days! Thanks, guys!

Now I may have to explore the cable upgrade 🤣😭 as it seems it could open up the stage a bit, but they don't even have an hour on them yet, so let's burn them in!

Apr 10, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #3,851 of 4,275

I know what you mean... I have had the OG Timeless for a long time now, and while I won't be getting rid of them, they have never been my favorite at any one particular thing. They are a great "fun" sound, and are very versatile to listen to. IMO this alone makes them pretty great. For DD I like the iBasso IT-07, and for planar I prefer the Hook-X.

Having said that, these will stay in my camp (and in weekly rotation) because even with their flaws, I do so enjoy them a lot. Sometimes you just want "enjoyable" over "perfect" (if you want to put it in extreme terms).

Apr 10, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #3,852 of 4,275
At your guys' recco, I pulled the Timeless from sale here, opened them up and am listening now (none of my other mmcx cables seem to fit, tho that doesn't surprise me) with the stock cable.

Glad you guys convinced me...at this price point, or at 10x the price, they do sound excellent and are able to stand with my kilobuck sets very admirably!

Listening now thru my P6Pro and I have zero complaints, even after exclusively listening to Mentor for the past several days! Thanks, guys!

Now I may have to explore the cable upgrade 🤣😭 as it seems it could open up the stage a bit, but they don't even have an hour on them yet, so let's burn them in!
Glad to hear that you decided do keep and enjoy them.
I have the NiceHCK SuperBlue and I'm enjoying them a lot. I will have another cables to test them by the end of the week.

Apr 10, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #3,853 of 4,275
Glad to hear that you decided do keep and enjoy them.
I have the NiceHCK SuperBlue and I'm enjoying them a lot. I will have another cables to test them by the end of the week.
I have adapters, so I may try some of my expensive cables and see what's what.

Apr 10, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #3,854 of 4,275
Apr 10, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #3,855 of 4,275
I have some 7Hz Salnotes Zero. After swapping out the tips to Whizzer SS20, I thought they were great! [It makes them really come alive. They're surprisingly good on soundstage width, although not so much height.] Unfortunately, I wouldn't use them as beater IEMs - They're a hint condensation sensitive, so after only a few months I've already damaged them.

For desktop use or sunny, cool outdoors, get some soundstage tips! Dunu S&S should also work well, but I couldn't find a comfortable combo on the Zeros.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back