7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Aug 9, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #3,211 of 4,269
I also have a set of UTWS5 but I have been reluctant to plug my Timeless on.
The reason is I noticed that these buds benefit from extra power, so I currently keep them on the balanced output of a Fiio M11 and they sound astonishing.
Haven't you noticed any loss of performance relatively to wired?
Not much if your DAP or player app supports LHDC.

Aug 9, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #3,212 of 4,269
Hi folks, I've recently been caught up in the hype with first the Chu and now the 7HZ Zero but came across this video by Dan's Audio Reviews. Now I don't know how accurate these recordings are, but he says actually listening to them he feels the same differences as he does when he listens back to the recordings so I'm inclined to trust them. He noted how in the recording and IRL the Chu's sounded much more congested than the S12, IE600 and OH10. You can also hear this in the recordings. Personally, I now feel like it's worth spending a little more instead of buying a hyped $20 IEM (I was about to get the 7HZ Zero after all the recent hype).

So with that in mind, I'd like to ask a question to those who have listened to both the Timeless and Dioko (and also S12). In another of Dan's videos he does such a comparison and the results are quite interesting to me. I've listened to the videos multiple times on different headphones and the differences are very consistent. Focussing on the "I Want to Break Free" recording at 6:15, which is most similar to the kind of music I'll be listening to, the Dioko's vocals are much more present and powerful, yet they never feel too too much to me. By comparison the S12's vocals seem a little recessed, veiled and lacking the smoothness and quality of the Dioko's vocals. The Timeless compared to the Dioko seems less spacious to me and Freddy's voice gets somewhat lost in the more elevated bass and highs. At this point surprisingly I seem to prefer the cheaper Dioko. I'd just like to know if you folks also found these same differences between the Timeless, Dioko and S12. Thanks.

Aug 9, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #3,213 of 4,269
I don't enjoy the Dioko too much for music due to the fatiguing treble tuning but it's really awsome for movies. Watched Predator Prey and the sound effect was very immersive and clear, with a very wide 3d space. Never really heard that from an IEM before. It's like a pair of very clear openback headphones.

Aug 9, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #3,214 of 4,269
I don't enjoy the Dioko too much for music due to the fatiguing treble tuning but it's really awsome for movies. Watched Predator Prey and the sound effect was very immersive and clear, with a very wide 3d space. Never really heard that from an IEM before. It's like a pair of very clear openback headphones.

The Dioko is great for jazz and orchestral to my ear. But I’ve never watched a movie with them. I have Prey in my cue so I’ll give it a try!

Aug 10, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #3,215 of 4,269

Yes perhaps the treble isn't really captured in those recordings. I understand what you mean about the 3D space, it for sure sounded wider than the Timeless and S12 in those recordings.

Aug 10, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #3,216 of 4,269
Yes perhaps the treble isn't really captured in those recordings. I understand what you mean about the 3D space, it for sure sounded wider than the Timeless and S12 in those recordings.

I have the Dioko and the S12. I agree that the Dioko sounds more expansive, but the S12 soundstage presentation is no slouch either.

Aug 10, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #3,217 of 4,269
I think the Dioko has that height and spaciousness, and since tonal accuracy is not needed and you don't usually hear some women screaming in the whole movie, so it's really fun for watching movies. :L3000:

Aug 10, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #3,218 of 4,269
Hi folks, I've recently been caught up in the hype with first the Chu and now the 7HZ Zero but came across this video by Dan's Audio Reviews. Now I don't know how accurate these recordings are, but he says actually listening to them he feels the same differences as he does when he listens back to the recordings so I'm inclined to trust them. He noted how in the recording and IRL the Chu's sounded much more congested than the S12, IE600 and OH10. You can also hear this in the recordings. Personally, I now feel like it's worth spending a little more instead of buying a hyped $20 IEM (I was about to get the 7HZ Zero after all the recent hype).

So with that in mind, I'd like to ask a question to those who have listened to both the Timeless and Dioko (and also S12). In another of Dan's videos he does such a comparison and the results are quite interesting to me. I've listened to the videos multiple times on different headphones and the differences are very consistent. Focussing on the "I Want to Break Free" recording at 6:15, which is most similar to the kind of music I'll be listening to, the Dioko's vocals are much more present and powerful, yet they never feel too too much to me. By comparison the S12's vocals seem a little recessed, veiled and lacking the smoothness and quality of the Dioko's vocals. The Timeless compared to the Dioko seems less spacious to me and Freddy's voice gets somewhat lost in the more elevated bass and highs. At this point surprisingly I seem to prefer the cheaper Dioko. I'd just like to know if you folks also found these same differences between the Timeless, Dioko and S12. Thanks.

I would trust the ears of people in here more than I would a low quality YouTube video. I have to admit that I didn't watch the whole video because I tend to stop reading/listening to reviews that are mostly subjective, rather than objective. Having said that there are also potential scientific reasons (though I could have missed it if he provided the information).

First, it is impossible to record exactly what is played back (it will have a flavor of its own just like every different DAP does, as well as having some degradation). It is like making a copy of a copy. Not to mention YouTube is lossy, compressed audio, which is more degradation. Also, what source is he using, did he do a volume match, what equipment did he use to record? There are just too many variables that could cause anomalies.

All of that being said, I wish I could help you, but I only have the OG P1, the Timeless, and the Hook-X (on the way). More money and better sound don't always go hand in hand. If your ears like the cheaper IEM, then you stick to it and enjoy the heck out of it. :) I sometimes listen to my $13 CRA over my Focal.... :upside_down:

Aug 10, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #3,219 of 4,269
I would trust the ears of people in here more than I would a low quality YouTube video. I have to admit that I didn't watch the whole video because I tend to stop reading/listening to reviews that are mostly subjective, rather than objective. Having said that there are also potential scientific reasons (though I could have missed it if he provided the information).

First, it is impossible to record exactly what is played back (it will have a flavor of its own just like every different DAP does, as well as having some degradation). It is like making a copy of a copy. Not to mention YouTube is lossy, compressed audio, which is more degradation. Also, what source is he using, did he do a volume match, what equipment did he use to record? There are just too many variables that could cause anomalies.

All of that being said, I wish I could help you, but I only have the OG P1, the Timeless, and the Hook-X (on the way). More money and better sound don't always go hand in hand. If your ears like the cheaper IEM, then you stick to it and enjoy the heck out of it. :) I sometimes listen to my $13 CRA over my Focal.... :upside_down:

Fair point. I only trust those recordings because he listens back to them and says the differences he notices in real life between all those IEMs are captured well. Although you're right in that after he uploads the video to YT and it gets compressed some things may change.

I have come to realise that for me the most important thing in an IEM and headphone is the sense of 3D space. It's taken me a while to realise this but thinking back to all the IEMs and headphones I've tried out, the thing that really turns me off from a headphone is a congested sound. Now from the recordings on Dan's YT channel, it seems the it's only at the mid-tier where the IEMs start to have a sense of 3D space. Could be wrong however, the only circa. $20 IEMs I've tried are the Chu's, BL03's and BFB Larks. None of which sounded very spacious.

How's the CRA in that regard?

Aug 10, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #3,221 of 4,269
I think I have posted something similar before but if you find the treble of the Dioko a bit harsh and if you don't want to change the tuning you can try removing the metal grill VERY CAREFULLY if you don't have the spare filter kit by lifting the middle of the grill where these is no tape. The metal grill damps the elastisity of the membrane filter at the nozzle but also introduces hard edges to the sound. The sound is smoother without the grill but you can probably hear a little bit of high frequency vibration in the sound with the membrane filter only.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #3,222 of 4,269
Fair point. I only trust those recordings because he listens back to them and says the differences he notices in real life between all those IEMs are captured well. Although you're right in that after he uploads the video to YT and it gets compressed some things may change.

I have come to realise that for me the most important thing in an IEM and headphone is the sense of 3D space. It's taken me a while to realise this but thinking back to all the IEMs and headphones I've tried out, the thing that really turns me off from a headphone is a congested sound. Now from the recordings on Dan's YT channel, it seems the it's only at the mid-tier where the IEMs start to have a sense of 3D space. Could be wrong however, the only circa. $20 IEMs I've tried are the Chu's, BL03's and BFB Larks. None of which sounded very spacious.

How's the CRA in that regard?
I have not heard any of the ones you cited, so I can't compare, but I would not call the CRA amazing in that arena either (I think the CRA+ might be a bit better in this realm). They are pretty good with imaging, in that there isn't much congestion, but the soundstage isn't super wide nor deep. In this category, one might have to pay a little extra (for the quality of the driver, R&D on the acoustics being done in the shell, etc...), but I'm sure there are also exceptions to this rule.

I actually find the CRA a bit better than the Timeless for this. While the Timeless has a bigger stage, the imaging is a bit less accurate, and CAN get congested in busy tracks. I have been impressed with most of the iBasso IEMs (cheaper all the way to expensive) in the regard. They are very good at separation, and imaging, and good with sound staging. The IT-07 being the best in this category (it is also $900 though), but the IT-01S are very similar in tuning. The staging isn't quite as good because it is a single DD, but they are really good for an IEM.

The OG P1 were VERY good at this, even though the presentation they had was of a more intimate nature. They are VERY 3D in their presentation. I think of it as you being in the recording studio, rather than in a concert hall. But the imaging and separation are top notch on these.

Aug 10, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #3,225 of 4,269
Yes, sometimes the balance shifts in some units over time. I also had to replace mine. Currently using a second pair of Timeless. Will see how it will hold up, so far so good.

Did you get any warranty honoured? Mine have felt like this since i got them i think but i wasn't 100% sure so left it alone. But listening last night, the left is definitely warmer sounding than the right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back