7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Jul 20, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #3,181 of 4,271
IKR? I have considered the Hook-X also.
For me, the Timeless has been dethroned by the Hook-X. Still love the Timeless tho.

Jul 20, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #3,182 of 4,271
My initial feeling, that the Dioko needs a greater midbass emphasis/linear slope, remains the same. Even with this boost I think the midrange clarity wouldn't be lost largely because of the speed and unobtrusive characteristics of planar bass.
I think that's one of the reasons why I like the timeless. I know they're not neutral but the generous lower midrange makes them sound more like a full-size to my ears than a more neutral set. That's one thing I also liked about the LCD-i4 which are even less neutral. The BA sets I've heard sounded like toys in comparison.

Jul 20, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #3,183 of 4,271
Maybe the pinna gain is less than what you're used to? It places the mids further back which you could be interpreting as a thin quality. Tonally the Dioko is definitely bright and the tight (planar) subbass focus with neutral midbass does make low mids thinner too. It's an exceptionally clear midrange that some might feel is uninspiring or lifeless.
I don't think it is the pinna gain but the overall sound is definitely shifted to the upper end. The thing is I compared with other IEMs with similar note weight, I still hear the missing information in the mids. It has better clarity being tuned that way thou.
For my library of primarily string instruments and vocals this clarity is unmatched and something I find enjoyable but I can already see how this tuning doesn't work with some genres and comes off very 'plain'.
Strings still sound like string but without the mid focus they do sound a bit off to me and as you said occasionally plain.
My initial feeling, that the Dioko needs a greater midbass emphasis/linear slope, remains the same. Even with this boost I think the midrange clarity wouldn't be lost largely because of the speed and unobtrusive characteristics of planar bass.
It would be interesting if you can remove the filters to hear the unfiltered sound of the driver. Honestly I am not a big fan of IEMs with some foam filters in the nozzle. The foam fixes something but breaks something else. That filter sheet at the nozzle is #350 as confirmed by 7hz and I think it is qutie dense and elastic and it works like a drum reflecting and resonating some of the sound instead of absorbing like other filter papers made of paper or non-woven fabric. The material of the filter sheet at the nozzle and the foam together tame the treble end in a way that there is a sharp cut off of the extreme frequencies (which is probably not measurable with a coupler) and we might precept that as sound clipping even thou the graininess is also removed at the same time.

But I gotta say the tuning is still pretty good, just occassionally odd sounding. Oh and it is also quite sibilant, depending on the track.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #3,185 of 4,271
Finally i received the dioko.
I really liked the box that comes with the iem but I got scared because the iem on the right side wasn't working so I unplugged the cable and put it back in and it was just a contact problem.
I changed the tips and I'm listening to the same songs I heard today on the tri i3 pro.
I didn't feel any wow factor yet, i'm going to dedicate a few days to analyzing these iems but in very early impressions these iems won't make me put aside my tri i3 pro.

Jul 21, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #3,186 of 4,271
Yeah, you'd need a Timeless to beat the I3 pro.

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #3,190 of 4,271
I’ve been listening to Shostakovich string quartets on the Dioko and it’s really nice.

Cleanest string replay I've heard. Just needs a bit more midbass/lower mid to give cello/double bass the weight it deserves imo.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #3,191 of 4,271
20220802_184411_HDR.jpg

Does look like an old lady's jewellery as another user somewhere complained. But also looks better built than the Timeless. Comes with a lovely cable (not pictured).
Sounds less engaging with smoother well extended highs than the Timeless on first listen. But I'll suspend judgement until after burn-in period.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #3,193 of 4,271
Aug 3, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #3,195 of 4,271

Users who are viewing this thread

Back