7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Jul 18, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #3,166 of 4,273
I've had the Timeless for only a month, and received the Dioko on Friday. Still comparing the two, but I have noticed when listening to the Dioko, I'm turning the volume up more than the Timeless. I did swap cable with a 4.4mm balanced cable, and use Low gain on my dx160

Jul 18, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #3,167 of 4,273
I've had the Timeless for only a month, and received the Dioko on Friday. Still comparing the two, but I have noticed when listening to the Dioko, I'm turning the volume up more than the Timeless. I did swap cable with a 4.4mm balanced cable, and use Low gain on my dx160
Is it because you are compensating for the perceived lesser quantity of bass, or because they are harder to drive?

Jul 18, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #3,168 of 4,273
Is it because you are compensating for the perceived lesser quantity of bass, or because they are harder to drive?
Happened to me too. It could be both of having lesser bass and a little bit harder to drive.

Jul 18, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #3,170 of 4,273
To my ears, It lacks the synergy of the Timeless. Its not bad overall, guess one can say it's more neutral compared to the Timeless. With the timeless, the volume is at 45. On the dioko the volume is at 50, so maybe they require more juice 🤷🏼‍♂️

Jul 18, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #3,171 of 4,273
To my ears, It lacks the synergy of the Timeless. Its not bad overall, guess one can say it's more neutral compared to the Timeless. With the timeless, the volume is at 45. On the dioko the volume is at 50, so maybe they require more juice 🤷🏼‍♂️
NP, was just curious fellow NE Indiana(ian)(or)(ish) Hoosier.... :sunglasses: It would probably require equipment to volume match to get that question answered really. I wonder if this still holds true with a different cable? Maybe more impedance? Again, just curious.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #3,172 of 4,273
NP, was just curious fellow NE Indiana(ian)(or)(ish) Hoosier.... :sunglasses: It would probably require equipment to volume match to get that question answered really. I wonder if this still holds true with a different cable? Maybe more impedance? Again, just curious.
That's beyond my hobbyist knowledge.... I prefer listening and relaxing, or working.....

This side of the state doesn't offer as much fun as the NW corner does. But the beauty is, there's many destinations only a few hours drive from here.

Jul 18, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #3,173 of 4,273
That's beyond my hobbyist knowledge.... I prefer listening and relaxing, or working.....

This side of the state doesn't offer as much fun as the NW corner does. But the beauty is, there's many destinations only a few hours drive from here.
Oh I was only suggesting that if you had another 2 pin cable you might see if the issue persists, not to get some volume measuring equipment. Lol

Yeah, being 20 minutes from Michigan, and 10 from Ohio does leave a lot of possibilities, especially on a motorcycle. Lots of gorgeous rides to be had here IMO.

Jul 20, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #3,175 of 4,273
The Dioko is in general pretty nice for the price but the tone is a little off (maybe 20%) and I think it is best to experiement with different filters for yourself. After experimenting with all the filters I have I just find the treble overly dampened and I find occasional clipping (like you hear a flat top end). When you compare to other more "correctly" tuned IEMs the offset tone is very obvious but fine when there is no comparison. Stage is good for the price but is partially a result of the tuning.Also it has some great treble clarity due to the less pronounced mids and bass.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #3,176 of 4,273
The Dioko is in general pretty nice for the price but the tone is a little off (maybe 20%) and I think it is best to experiement with different filters for yourself. After experimenting with all the filters I have I just find the treble overly dampened and I find occasional clipping (like you hear a flat top end). When you compare to other more "correctly" tuned IEMs the offset tone is very obvious but fine when there is no comparison. Stage is good for the price but is partially a result of the tuning.
Tone is a little off? Like is it thin sounding? Regarding the treble, I think it might be the planar characteristic.

Jul 20, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #3,178 of 4,273
Oh I was only suggesting that if you had another 2 pin cable you might see if the issue persists, not to get some volume measuring equipment. Lol
Swapped the kbear copper cable for a kbear silver cable. Synergy still lacks, but it's listenable. Tempted to pickup the hook-x.

Damn this hobby 🤣

Jul 20, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #3,180 of 4,273
Not especially thin but it sounds like there is something missing in the mids. If you remove the filters that treble characteristics would be gone so it's not about it being planar.

Maybe the pinna gain is less than what you're used to? It places the mids further back which you could be interpreting as a thin quality. Tonally the Dioko is definitely bright and the tight (planar) subbass focus with neutral midbass does make low mids thinner too. It's an exceptionally clear midrange that some might feel is uninspiring or lifeless.

For my library of primarily string instruments and vocals this clarity is unmatched and something I find enjoyable but I can already see how this tuning doesn't work with some genres and comes off very 'plain'.

My initial feeling, that the Dioko needs a greater midbass emphasis/linear slope, remains the same. Even with this boost I think the midrange clarity wouldn't be lost largely because of the speed and unobtrusive characteristics of planar bass.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back