7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Feb 6, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #1,996 of 4,269
I might agree with you, even when using the original cable and using the installed wide bore tips. My prob was I found too much treble energy with wide bore, so switched to the supplied narrow bore (dark blue opaque silicone). That fixed the treble to my ears, increased the bass, but recessed (not good) the mids for me. Ultimately I gave up on these b/c I really need all three regions (bass, vocals, treble) to be pleasing to me. Oh, it's possible my issue was underpowering, as I used the MB Air M1 headphone out, or the iPhone dongle.
Power is a necessity to get the control needed for a really clear planar sound. Sure, lower powered sources can get loud, no problem. But it's like a professional singer -- they don't just sing loud, they support their vocals strongly from their core and their diaphragm so the sound is balanced and full. This is the sense I get with the Timeless. If you want depth to your stage, good tonal balance, and enough support for the distant sounds to give you a proper sense of space, you really do need the power.

I did some cable rolling today and I was very disappointed with the 8-core graphene performance with the Azla Crystal tips. The 4-core graphene is leagues ahead when it comes to sense of space and tonal balance. The vocals are simply sublime with the 4-core, and frankly I consider them to be "below average" with the 8-core. That's why I pair the Symbio W tips with the 8-core; they're a perfect match. But not the Azla Crystals, not at all.

Another disappointment was the Rhyme cable. It was "above average" with the Azla tips, but the sense of depth and space wasn't nearly as good as the 4-core graphene. I tried a pure copper 8-core cable from KBEAR also and it while the vocals sounded decent, the highs were missing and there was no sense of space or depth compared to the 4-core graphene cable.

Lastly, I figured I'd try the stock cable just for grins and now I remember why I left it in the box. Yuck. Too thin, no tonal balance, no stage height or sense of space. Not a good match with the Azla tips at all. It went right back into the box immediately.

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #1,997 of 4,269
So now that they sound good I’m really glad I was able to get them next day from Amazon and with 2.5 balanced cable yet. I’m currently running with stock balanced cable and Sedna Ear Fit Lights.
My little Hyby R3 Saber gets them going pretty easily as they seem-to love power!

I saw some Spatialize pics and was wondering if you guys heard “Stefan Tortos” work?
“Sundial Aeon” is another great sound and “Unusual Cosmic Process”??

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #1,998 of 4,269
I saw some Spatialize pics and was wondering if you guys heard “Stefan Tortos” work?
“Sundial Aeon” is another great sound and “Unusual Cosmic Process”??
Yup, Unusual Cosmic Process - Utopia is on my regular playlist. A good one for sure. Check out Green Beats, you will love their work.

Never heard of the others. I'll check them out.

Feb 6, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #1,999 of 4,269
I might agree with you, even when using the original cable and using the installed wide bore tips. My prob was I found too much treble energy with wide bore, so switched to the supplied narrow bore (dark blue opaque silicone). That fixed the treble to my ears, increased the bass, but recessed (not good) the mids for me. Ultimately I gave up on these b/c I really need all three regions (bass, vocals, treble) to be pleasing to me. Oh, it's possible my issue was underpowering, as I used the MB Air M1 headphone out, or the iPhone dongle.
Just curious whether you tried any other tips besides those included with the iem's?

Feb 7, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #2,001 of 4,269
@Tomm11 yes, I tried the New Bee foam tips I had bought on amazon, which are med/wide bore. I can't remember why but I decided I preferred the narrow bore silicones to the foams, and it was only after a few days that I decided the vocals were just too pulled back for me.
Try the Oratory 1990 Auto-EQ setting if you can. It brings the mids back up to a level mix with the rest of the mix. The Timeless are a V signature to be sure but they take EQ very well.

Feb 7, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #2,002 of 4,269
Timeless without filters... Is this worth doing? I'm hesitant to try... Any opinions??
graph - 2022-02-06T193054.356.png

Feb 7, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #2,004 of 4,269
Only one way to find out! It looks like it does nothing to the bottom end our the mids, but uncaps the upper treble. I've had the silver mesh off and it fits right back into the nozzle and the filters are just small foam inserts, so removing them wont be irreversible. If you're curious, I think you can give it try without much risk. If you do Let us know!

Feb 7, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #2,006 of 4,269
Personally I wouldn't touch the treble on the timeless, it's pretty good as it is. Not as v-shaped as people make it sound but not dull either. Some of the stock tips work nicely if you want more sparkle.
I keep reading the comments calling them a definite V - to my ear, more like a gentle "U" but hey, we all hear differently, are using different cables and different tips.... All three, no 4: our age, our ears, our cables and our tips have noticeable impact.

Feb 7, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #2,007 of 4,269
Went to a wider bore tip with the Kinera Ace cable. Using an Azla Sednaearfit regular (long) and getting a good seal with my usual size MS tip. I don't think I'm losing any bass whatsover in terms of quantity with the wide bore Azla (compared with the Spinfit CP100 or Acoustune 07) which is really surprising me. On the other hand, it's opened up the mids and treble a bit which is a plus with this cable. Have some of these tips in medium on order because I didn't think I'd get a seal with the medium small but doesn't look i'll need the larger size. Very good combo here I think with this cable and the Azla tips although I don't think those who are sensitive to the Timeless treble would jibe with it. Downside is that in terms of comfort, for me Azla's are tolerable, at best.

Feb 7, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #2,008 of 4,269
Went to a wider bore tip with the Kinera Ace cable. Using an Azla Sednaearfit regular (long) and getting a good seal with my usual size MS tip. I don't think I'm losing any bass whatsover in terms of quantity with the wide bore Azla (compared with the Spinfit CP100 or Acoustune 07) which is really surprising me. On the other hand, it's opened up the mids and treble a bit which is a plus with this cable. Have some of these tips in medium on order because I didn't think I'd get a seal with the medium small but doesn't look i'll need the larger size. Very good combo here I think with this cable and the Azla tips although I don't think those who are sensitive to the Timeless treble would jibe with it. Downside is that in terms of comfort, for me Azla's are tolerable, at best.
I've gone to the Azla Sedna Short (was long) and it brings the timeless more flush to the ear for me. Pretty much same sound sig. I dont know what your issue with the Sedna Comfort is.... for me, I like the thick texture of them. If the issue for you is the texture of the Sednas, pick up the Tennmak Whirlinds. Same bore a thinner silicone but great seal.. They feel like air in the ear but sound like the Sednas. And they're $7 for 6 pair shipping in.

Feb 7, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #2,010 of 4,269
Power is a necessity to get the control needed for a really clear planar sound. Sure, lower powered sources can get loud, no problem. But it's like a professional singer -- they don't just sing loud, they support their vocals strongly from their core and their diaphragm so the sound is balanced and full. This is the sense I get with the Timeless. If you want depth to your stage, good tonal balance, and enough support for the distant sounds to give you a proper sense of space, you really do need the power.

I did some cable rolling today and I was very disappointed with the 8-core graphene performance with the Azla Crystal tips. The 4-core graphene is leagues ahead when it comes to sense of space and tonal balance. The vocals are simply sublime with the 4-core, and frankly I consider them to be "below average" with the 8-core. That's why I pair the Symbio W tips with the 8-core; they're a perfect match. But not the Azla Crystals, not at all.

Another disappointment was the Rhyme cable. It was "above average" with the Azla tips, but the sense of depth and space wasn't nearly as good as the 4-core graphene. I tried a pure copper 8-core cable from KBEAR also and it while the vocals sounded decent, the highs were missing and there was no sense of space or depth compared to the 4-core graphene cable.

Lastly, I figured I'd try the stock cable just for grins and now I remember why I left it in the box. Yuck. Too thin, no tonal balance, no stage height or sense of space. Not a good match with the Azla tips at all. It went right back into the box immediately.
In the end what do you think it's best combination of tips and cable for the Timeless? XINHS 8 core graphene coopper cable and Symbio tips?

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back