7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Feb 9, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #2,026 of 4,273
actually i'm a little surprised that 7hz has released a dynamic driver instead of another planar considering the popularity of the timeless. whatever they do i hope it's successful. funding R&D isn't free and i suppose i'm biased toward planar / stats. yes, if the latest were that tech, i'd already have ordered them. waiting a bit to see some reviews (famous last words....big stupid grin)
Yes I'd be surprised if the dynamic version can hold a candle to the timeless from a technical standpoint. They will probably have a charm of their own though.

Feb 10, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #2,027 of 4,273
I have not tried any planar headphone or iem. does this have the planar sound? especially the planar bass?

Feb 10, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #2,028 of 4,273
I have not tried any planar headphone or iem. does this have the planar sound? especially the planar bass?
warm and full bass, lacks a clarity (just slightly) in that register but is still impactful as iems go. i don't think you'll find better without large amounts of cash. very very close to full size overears.

how many posts should you read to get an idea if they are right for you? maybe all of them. there are people that don't like them and that's true of any headphone.

i used to work with a guy that in the 60s went to a music festival in upstate NY called Woodstock, he looked around, didn't like it and went home.

Feb 10, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #2,029 of 4,273
Paired with a good source (preferably on a balanced output) the Timeless walks charitably on that thin line crossing bass impact and clarity, tone weight and ambience, soundstage, layering and of course, cost.
I think most serious listeners would appreciate it.

Feb 10, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #2,030 of 4,273
As was mentioned they walk the thin line of what a distinctive "planar" sound is and something else. There are better planar headphones, and cheaper, but in the IEM world, the only one (as far as I'm concerned) that is better for the money is the Tinhifi P1. Most people that don't like them, don't like them because at first listen they sound bass light.

They do have a bit less quantity of bass, but the texture and quickness more than make up for it unless one listens to only bass type of music. Mids are very smooth, and the top end is a bit warm, but still very clear. They are not as much of a V signature as the Timeless.

That being said, and depending on your preferred sound signature, I am not sure that spending more money would even get you better than the Timeless for IEMs. Maybe a sidegrade at most. The Timeless certainly have their flaws, but overall, they are worth the price IMO.

Feb 10, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #2,031 of 4,273
If you never heard any planar or electrostatic headphone, the main benefit in terms of bass is that it goes deep and fast. Think about it as for black depth on oled TVs, it gives you a fuller picture than other technologies IMO.

Feb 10, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #2,032 of 4,273
If you never heard any planar or electrostatic headphone, the main benefit in terms of bass is that it goes deep and fast. Think about it as for black depth on oled TVs, it gives you a fuller picture than other technologies IMO.
Great analogy! Planar is not for everyone, because they typically don't give that rumble that a great DD can give, but boy do they give that quick thump, and super texture.

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #2,033 of 4,273
Great analogy! Planar is not for everyone, because they typically don't give that rumble that a great DD can give, but boy do they give that quick thump, and super texture.
i finally got my hands on a ether cx...... i heard they were bass lite but with a little eq, just wow, deep, smooth and clear. i have five hours on them new out of the box. planar near the top and a great value at the right price.

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #2,034 of 4,273
i finally got my hands on a ether cx...... i heard they were bass lite but with a little eq, just wow, deep, smooth and clear. i have five hours on them new out of the box. planar near the top and a great value at the right price.
Very nice. Those look like they would be comfortable also?! Are they fast and punchy (the "planar" sound)? Are they indeed as advertised; sounding like open-back headphones in a pair of closed phones? Do they take a decent amount of current to push them properly? If so, what are you running them on?

Feb 10, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #2,035 of 4,273
Very nice. Those look like they would be comfortable also?! Are they fast and punchy (the "planar" sound)? Are they indeed as advertised; sounding like open-back headphones in a pair of closed phones? Do they take a decent amount of current to push them properly? If so, what are you running them on?
very open sounding for closed, weirdly well, don't seem to need any extra power. on a shitt stack...modi and magni. i've read they get better after a hundred hours. i'm not sure that's possible. the downside is they show EVERY imperfection in recording and mastering. to the point that reverb added is echo like, swoochy. things i had not noticed before
oh yeah, an edit. yes very light and comfy. little hot after a few hours... i'll cope lol

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #2,036 of 4,273
very open sounding for closed, weirdly well, don't seem to need any extra power. on a shitt stack...modi and magni. i've read they get better after a hundred hours. i'm not sure that's possible. the downside is they show EVERY imperfection in recording and mastering. to the point that reverb added is echo like, swoochy. things i had not noticed before
oh yeah, an edit. yes very light and comfy. little hot after a few hours... i'll cope lol
Nice! Are those considered Mr. Speakers, or Dan Clark era phones?

Though from the pad side, they look strange, having a rectangular shaped inner pad. :) I may have to look closer at these. I have neglected closed-backs for so long (for open-backs, IEMs, and earbuds), the OG Sennheiser Momentum is the newest I have. I really like the reviews and looks of the DCA Stealth, but I can't afford that kinda' good. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think I am set for IEMs (as to end game, not counting experimentation like with the Timeless and others) with the iBasso IT-07, and earbuds with the Moondrop Chaconne and Yincrow RW 2000. But I still need to find that line with open-backs and closed-backs.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #2,037 of 4,273
Nice! Are those considered Mr. Speakers, or Dan Clark era phones?

Though from the pad side, they look strange, having a rectangular shaped inner pad. :) I may have to look closer at these. I have neglected closed-backs for so long (for open-backs, IEMs, and earbuds), the OG Sennheiser Momentum is the newest I have. I really like the reviews and looks of the DCA Stealth, but I can't afford that kinda' good. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think I am set for IEMs (as to end game, not counting experimentation like with the Timeless and others) with the iBasso IT-07, and earbuds with the Moondrop Chaconne and Yincrow RW 2000. But I still need to find that line with open-backs and closed-backs.
it's a Dan Clark Audio. I remember meeting him at a show. He had a booth right next to a Stax setup. I listened, then went to see his Maddogs right afterwards. Pretty nice for the money. Dan is MrSpeakers, he started with Fostex drivers. It's almost like he convinced Fostex to go back into the biz in a big way. Not sure he didn't shoot himself in the foot and had to produce his own drivers. The rest is history, seems like some good came from it.
Yes the pads are square inside, you can't tell by the fit. Very natural since the driver is that shape also.
I was considering the Audeze line, so many options and revisions, enough to make my head spin.
I feel kinda bad since this is timeless q and a but that planar sound is so unique; energetic and clean.

Feb 11, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #2,038 of 4,273
Hello, is there anyone here who has experience with the 7Hz Timeless and the THIEAUDIO Monarch MKII? I think I've seen 2 people here using both. One is using the Qudelix 5K and the FiiO UTWS5 with both of them, as well. What are your impressions, please? How do you compare them? How is the bass sounding on the Monarch MKII?

Thank you

Feb 11, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #2,039 of 4,273
I'm personally really impressed with how well the Timeless pairs with the Hidizs AP80 Pro & DH80 - a real budget setup that punches far harder than its weight.

It is definitely making me re-evaluate certain things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back