7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Dec 7, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #976 of 4,273
I jumped on the bandwagon. Didn't want to miss all the fun haha

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #977 of 4,273
So I just got the Timeless and figured I'd share some feelings about them since the hype train is strong on these. First off, are they the endgame, TOTL beaters some people say they are? No, not at all. Should you buy them? Absolutely. They're a special headphone with a unique sound that stands on its own despite its flaws.

Bass: Strong but a little undefined at times and it doesn't have the impact that dynamic drivers have, it's very smooth though.

Mids: Recessed but in a good way if you can believe it. It can get annoying on some songs when the bass and lower mids drown out vocals but on well mastered tracks it comes through beautifully. Female vocals especially have a quality that seems like they're singing softly right in your ear.

Highs: Probably their weak point. They aren't bad, they just don't stand out and things like cymbal crashes don't strike the way they do on other headphones.

Soundstage: Average, though tip rolling changes that for the better or worse. This is one of the most tip dependent sets I've ever tried. You won't get a huge stage like you'd hear on say the FiiO FH7/9, Variations, etc.

Dynamics: Very good, every instrument comes through seamlessly, though the deep bass can overwhelm instruments.

Based on my evaluation above it probably sounds like these are just average but they're not. I'm sure it has to do with the planar technology, but the sound has a seamless, liquid quality to it. It's not an all rounder but acoustic songs, anything with harmonies or busy tracks like jazz are rendered astonishingly well, it's really beautiful to listen to and presented with an effortless coherence that pulls you in. The best way I can put it is that you're sitting there waiting for them to slip up and they don't.

They're like a gifted student, for things that come easy to it they excel with a natural ease which is really hard to find, but for the tracks that give them trouble they sort of give up.

Tl;Dr For $200 these are a steal, I can't think of any reason other than budget not to buy them. Just don't go in thinking they're endgame IEMs, you still have to shell out the big bucks for truly elite sound across the board.

Edit: Just to clarify, on the tracks they do well, they do incredibly well. I can't stress that enough, they will beat kilobuck sets sometimes. Flat out. But with other genres or masters they sound like crap. If you go in with reasonable expectations these will be the best $200 you've ever spent in this hobby, they're just not a daily driver. But if you're on the fence don't be, these are truly special. As long as you don't approach them as a unicorn endgame set you'll be very happy.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #978 of 4,273
My timeless arrive on Friday, in the interim I've been messing about with the Stax sr003s. Being that they are a "planar" even though technically different, they are the closest form factor. The iem Stax are not very impressive...they work and scale nicely with a dac. They DO NOT sound bad, just open with a full range and resolving. Sure, you could go portable with the Stax but at a very high cost. 200 dollar planar portable iems, you don't say...hummm

I plan to throw up a quick and dirty comparison early next week.....on sq only, not a practical comparison.

Dec 8, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #979 of 4,273
My timeless arrive on Friday, in the interim I've been messing about with the Stax sr003s. Being that they are a "planar" even though technically different, they are the closest form factor. The iem Stax are not very impressive...they work and scale nicely with a dac. They DO NOT sound bad, just open with a full range and resolving. Sure, you could go portable with the Stax but at a very high cost. 200 dollar planar portable iems, you don't say...hummm

I plan to throw up a quick and dirty comparison early next week.....on sq only, not a practical comparison.
Even with a desktop amp the SR-003 are not as well focused and accurate IMO. If you like the electrostat sound you will like them :) But the tips could be improved.

Dec 8, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #980 of 4,273
So I’ve been listening to the timeless for a few days now and I’m in a serious honeymoon phase! Really liking what I’m hearing. I do hear the caveats with more aggressive music and how it can’t really keep pace (grain not congestion) in very busy tracks BUT, for my Library of mainly jazz, acoustic and natural music these excel HUGELY! More ambient electronic or more subdued edm also works well as it coaxes out the best from the bottom end. I’m curious as to what cables have made what differences to those out there that have cable swapped. This is my only mmcx connector cable and I don’t want to buy multiple or spend much more than the iems themselves. But I am curious…any takers want to chime in on there cable swaps and the results, I would be thrilled. If it’s been talked about here in the thread, please just link me:wink: Thank to all that help.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #981 of 4,273
So I’ve been listening to the timeless for a few days now and I’m in a serious honeymoon phase! Really liking what I’m hearing. I do hear the caveats with more aggressive music and how it can’t really keep pace in very busy tracks BUT, for my Library of mainly jazz, acoustic and natural music these excel HUGELY! More ambient electronic or more subdued edm also works well as it coaxes out the best from the bottom end. I’m curious as to what cables have made what differences to those out there that have cable swapped. This is my only mmcx connector cable and I don’t want to buy multiple or spend much more than the iems themselves. But I am curious…any takers want to chime in on there cable swaps and the results, I would be thrilled. If it’s been talked about here in the thread, please just link me:wink: Thank to all that help.

mmcx is a really common connector. There's a wide range of price and style including bt options of which I tried a few including the Shure RMCE-BT2. The only tip I can give about cables is changing them.....DO NOT remove by pulling the wire! Connector in one hand and earpiece in the other.

Source is by far the first improvement (imo) to make; be it lossless files or a hi res player. Cables; braiding and gauge factor in but length and flexibility are also in the mix of considerations. There are soooooo many.

Dec 8, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #982 of 4,273
My Timeless eventually got to me!

Very very early impressions, just listening to my third track on them. Like @Orfik, I will get the negative out of the way first, for me they are not end-game (in as far as anyone can conclude after three tracks) but I am impressed so far.

I would like better definition in the presentation of the mid-bass. I have yet to discover the sub-bass.

Mids are very well presented without being forward.

Treble is delivered beautifully for me. It is not extended as you would get with electrostatic drivers but there is more than enough information coming from the treble to make my jazz tracks fun for me.

Dynamics are good, with background instruments clearly audible and defined even with a lead Instrument taking the stage. Instrument separation is good and I am not getting any congestion on busy tracks. Sound stage is ok at this point.

Again, I say I am only just getting to know them and hoping burn-in will improve the bass. I look forward to the improvements I have read about.

Dec 8, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #983 of 4,273
So I’ve been listening to the timeless for a few days now and I’m in a serious honeymoon phase! Really liking what I’m hearing. I do hear the caveats with more aggressive music and how it can’t really keep pace (grain not congestion) in very busy tracks BUT, for my Library of mainly jazz, acoustic and natural music these excel HUGELY! More ambient electronic or more subdued edm also works well as it coaxes out the best from the bottom end. I’m curious as to what cables have made what differences to those out there that have cable swapped. This is my only mmcx connector cable and I don’t want to buy multiple or spend much more than the iems themselves. But I am curious…any takers want to chime in on there cable swaps and the results, I would be thrilled. If it’s been talked about here in the thread, please just link me:wink: Thank to all that help.
You want to upgrade your Timeless? Foam tips and a pure silver cable make the Timeless sound twice as good. If you can do it, then use EQ.

Dec 8, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #984 of 4,273
My Timeless eventually got to me!

Very very early impressions, just listening to my third track on them. Like @Orfik, I will get the negative out of the way first, for me they are not end-game (in as far as anyone can conclude after three tracks) but I am impressed so far.

I would like better definition in the presentation of the mid-bass. I have yet to discover the sub-bass.

Mids are very well presented without being forward.

Treble is delivered beautifully for me. It is not extended as you would get with electrostatic drivers but there is more than enough information coming from the treble to make my jazz tracks fun for me.

Dynamics are good, with background instruments clearly audible and defined even with a lead Instrument taking the stage. Instrument separation is good and I am not getting any congestion on busy tracks. Sound stage is ok at this point.

Again, I say I am only just getting to know them and hoping burn-in will improve the bass. I look forward to the improvements I have read about.
As far as the bass goes, I think that's just how planar drivers present bass. Mine have been burned in over 80+ hours and I haven't heard much change in them. Doing A/B with my FH7s the impact, slam and speed of the dynamic driver is just in a different class. But the way the Timeless handles bass in concert with the rest of the spectrum mostly negates how soft it is on its own because it fits so well with the overall sound. I don't even think it's fair to compare them head to head with other sets sometimes because it's apples and oranges. Tip rolling and source is vastly more important than changing cables for these. I tried the pure silver cable from the FH9 and didn't like it much but ymmv, I think the stock cable is a perfect match for them personally.

Dec 8, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #985 of 4,273
Hey guys, tomorrow I am planning to buy.

- Moondrop KATO or 7HZ Timeless? What is your opinion?

I will be using them with my Qudelix 5K, but most of the time on the go with my FiiO UTWS5, which I will have after a few days. I am listening to Electronica 90% of the time. Trance, Progressive, Techno, House, Ambient, EDM, Breaks. Also some Pop and Rock. Amazon HD, YouTube and (rarely nowadays) some FLACS. I am currently testing the FiiO FH5s but even after approx. 300 hours of playing + a cooper cable + the bass tips + the bass switch ON, I am still looking for the bass (sadly). My music nirvana is my TRI I3 with my Qudelix! But I cannot carry this on the go. So, KATO or Timeless? What would you suggest?

Thank you very much for any opinion/suggestion! :)

Dec 8, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #986 of 4,273
Hey guys, tomorrow I am planning to buy.

I will be using them with my Qudelix 5K, but most of the time on the go with my FiiO UTWS5, which I will have after a few days. I am listening to Electronica 90% of the time. Trance, Progressive, Techno, House, Ambient, EDM, Breaks. Also some Pop and Rock. Amazon HD, YouTube and (rarely nowadays) some FLACS. I am currently testing the FiiO FH5s but even after approx. 300 hours of playing + a cooper cable + the bass tips + the bass switch ON, I am still looking for the bass (sadly). My music nirvana is my TRI I3 with my Qudelix! But I cannot carry this on the go. So, KATO or Timeless? What would you suggest?

Thank you very much for any opinion/suggestion! :)
I haven't heard the Kato but I don't think the Timeless is the best option for a lot of those genres. The bass is too soft, my FH7s destroy them when it comes to electronic and rock because the Timeless won't slam like a dynamic driver no matter how much you EQ it. That said, when you have $200 to spare buy them anyway because they're too good to pass up at the price.

Dec 8, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #988 of 4,273
So I just got the Timeless and figured I'd share some feelings about them since the hype train is strong on these. First off, are they the endgame, TOTL beaters some people say they are? No, not at all. Should you buy them? Absolutely. They're a special headphone with a unique sound that stands on its own despite its flaws.

Bass: Strong but a little undefined at times and it doesn't have the impact that dynamic drivers have, it's very smooth though.

Mids: Recessed but in a good way if you can believe it. It can get annoying on some songs when the bass and lower mids drown out vocals but on well mastered tracks it comes through beautifully. Female vocals especially have a quality that seems like they're singing softly right in your ear.

Highs: Probably their weak point. They aren't bad, they just don't stand out and things like cymbal crashes don't strike the way they do on other headphones.

Soundstage: Average, though tip rolling changes that for the better or worse. This is one of the most tip dependent sets I've ever tried. You won't get a huge stage like you'd hear on say the FiiO FH7/9, Variations, etc.

Dynamics: Very good, every instrument comes through seamlessly, though the deep bass can overwhelm instruments.

Based on my evaluation above it probably sounds like these are just average but they're not. I'm sure it has to do with the planar technology, but the sound has a seamless, liquid quality to it. It's not an all rounder but acoustic songs, anything with harmonies or busy tracks like jazz are rendered astonishingly well, it's really beautiful to listen to and presented with an effortless coherence that pulls you in. The best way I can put it is that you're sitting there waiting for them to slip up and they don't.

They're like a gifted student, for things that come easy to it they excel with a natural ease which is really hard to find, but for the tracks that give them trouble they sort of give up.

Tl;Dr For $200 these are a steal, I can't think of any reason other than budget not to buy them. Just don't go in thinking they're endgame IEMs, you still have to shell out the big bucks for truly elite sound across the board.

Edit: Just to clarify, on the tracks they do well, they do incredibly well. I can't stress that enough, they will beat kilobuck sets sometimes. Flat out. But with other genres or masters they sound like crap. If you go in with reasonable expectations these will be the best $200 you've ever spent in this hobby, they're just not a daily driver. But if you're on the fence don't be, these are truly special. As long as you don't approach them as a unicorn endgame set you'll be very happy.
Exactly this!

Dec 8, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #990 of 4,273
Personally, I'd take the Timeless. I haven't heard the Kato though. I have the Aria, Starfield, Blessing 2 Dusk and Variations. The Timeless is a big step from the Aria/Starfield, it's competing more with the Blessing 2/Variations. Reviews I have seen of the Kato, it is better than the Aria/Starfield, but it seems to be a smaller step.

For me, I think the Timeless works well with electronica. There is substantial sub-bass, the bass is not in any way bloated, and there is great detail. Possibly yes the bass doesn't have the slam you'd get from a dynamic driver but it makes up for it in quantity and quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back