7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Jul 11, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #46 of 4,269
I just finished my LUNA review, and now I can start working on the i99 review which I will have up in the coming week ...
Good, good, how do the two compare generally? I received the i99 yesterday and am burning them in. It's clearly a pair that needs the burn in, I can hear some distortion at moderately high volumes. The only other pair I've experienced that on was the RHA CL2 which didn't truly settle down until 300 hours or so.

Right now, no impressions due to the distortion, I only listened to them for a couple of tracks due to that, since I don't want to make any prejudgment.

Jul 11, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #47 of 4,269
Good, good, how do the two compare generally? I received the i99 yesterday and am burning them in. It's clearly a pair that needs the burn in, I can hear some distortion at moderately high volumes. The only other pair I've experienced that on was the RHA CL2 which didn't truly settle down until 300 hours or so.

Right now, no impressions due to the distortion, I only listened to them for a couple of tracks due to that, since I don't want to make any prejudgment.

Yes, the i99 does need some cookin’ time. What source are you using? The grain/distortion you are hearing will go away after about 100 hours of play, but the i99 continues to get better with even more time on it.

If you meant how does the Luna compare to the i99, it is not close to the performance level of the Luna, but the Luna is 3½ times the cost.

Jul 11, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #48 of 4,269
Yes, the i99 does need some cookin’ time. What source are you using? The grain/distortion you are hearing will go away after about 100 hours of play, but the i99 continues to get better with even more time on it.

If you meant how does the Luna compare to the i99, it is not close to the performance level of the Luna, but the Luna is 3½ times the cost.
Hiby R6 Pro, but also using my cayin N3 and original Hiby R6 for some of the burn in. This and the TRN VX are currently burning.

I'm not a big believer in price tiers. So I think that honestly the i99, fiio fd1 and Luna could all be in the same ballpark and I wouldn't be surprised. But the idea of pure Beryllium does intrigue me to see if it's different from the coated and sprayed drivers. I'm certain that the i99 isn't worth 10x the FD1 and Luna certainly isn't worth 30x the FD1 for most people, but such is the hobby... I'm focused almost 100% on bass with i99.

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #49 of 4,269
Hiby R6 Pro, but also using my cayin N3 and original Hiby R6 for some of the burn in. This and the TRN VX are currently burning.

I'm not a big believer in price tiers. So I think that honestly the i99, fiio fd1 and Luna could all be in the same ballpark and I wouldn't be surprised. But the idea of pure Beryllium does intrigue me to see if it's different from the coated and sprayed drivers. I'm certain that the i99 isn't worth 10x the FD1 and Luna certainly isn't worth 30x the FD1 for most people, but such is the hobby... I'm focused almost 100% on bass with i99.

I’ve been using a recently acquired R5, and I believe there is nice synergy between the two. Regarding your focus on the i99’s bass, it’s there, rest assured. :L3000:

Jul 11, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #53 of 4,269
Anyone getting the i88?
Brand new 10mm PAR driver.... hmmmm. Looks like a more neutral tuning.

Anyway, some really good sale deals starting tomorrow on the i99, kind of wish I would have waited..... $383 on Soo cheasy... (Rhymes with).

Jul 11, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #55 of 4,269
Don't worry , just buy both 😆
I'll probably break down and order the orb and or fd1 while my two new sets burn in..

This looks like the i99s little brother.

Jul 11, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #57 of 4,269
I'll probably break down and order the orb and or fd1 while my two new sets burn in..

This looks like the i99s little brother.
It really depends on what you want. I think they’re quite different. So far, the mid bass is a lot more potent than the sub bass on my FD1, and it’s a fast, dry bass. I don’t have that many hours on my set yet, and others may disagree with my assessment. The sub bass seems to be a major strength of the Orb.

Jul 12, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #58 of 4,269
It really depends on what you want. I think they’re quite different. So far, the mid bass is a lot more potent than the sub bass on my FD1, and it’s a fast, dry bass. I don’t have that many hours on my set yet, and others may disagree with my assessment. The sub bass seems to be a major strength of the Orb.
As you know, I want it all. The orb, Fd1 and IT00 are on my list for next....

Just had a bit of a listen with the i99 about 30 hours burned in. They dig deep. That's for sure. Definitely V shaped, definitely has that single DD timbre. A little uneven right now but a very euphoric sound. Can't wait to hear them more in a week or so.

Jul 12, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #59 of 4,269
I just spent a couple hours listening to my i99, and a notable quality is the size of the soundstage, cavernous.

Jul 12, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #60 of 4,269
I just spent a couple hours listening to my i99, and a notable quality is the size of the soundstage, cavernous.
Holy crap. The bass is rattling my head.

Using MSEB I can actually make it sound good and rattle my chest a bit. That's a first for me with any headphones or IEMs. It's up there with the Legend X for sure. It sounds good and gives you that bass experience only a few pairs can. It's not radically different or a big leap forward or something, but definitely going on the basshead list and is scratching the itch that I've been needing to scratch.... Hopefully it just gets better with age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back