7Hz Impressions & Discussion
May 30, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #31 of 4,269
The i99 definitely benefits from extended burn-in, it’s a totally different sound than when out of the box.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #32 of 4,269
Could someone write more about the i99? I'am a big fan of single dd iems and the graph looks perfect for my taste. How is the bass attack and decay? How big and deep is the stage and has this iem a holographic imaging? When i read more positiv impressions, i think i will sell my shuoer ej07 and buy this beauty. :)

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #33 of 4,269
Could someone write more about the i99? I'am a big fan of single dd iems and the graph looks perfect for my taste. How is the bass attack and decay? How big and deep is the stage and has this iem a holographic imaging? When i read more positiv impressions, i think i will sell my shuoer ej07 and buy this beauty. :)

Since the i99 is so new, I don’t know if there are a lot of owners yet. I am going to write a review by the end of this month since I have another IEM to review first.

My initial thought on soundstage is the i99 is deeper than wide with holographic imaging within. This IEM definitely scales well with higher resolution gear. Bass after burn-in is well controlled with good heft, but the attack is a little soft. I’m still going through extended listening sessions, so my views may change a little.

I can confidently say I’m extremely happy with the i99, so another good blind purchase which followed buying a Moondrop S8 blind. The build quality on the i99 is pretty impressive, and I love how flexible the cable is—7Hz didn’t skimp here. More coming soon ...

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #34 of 4,269
Thank you very much for the first impression. :) When the bass is slightly on the softer side, i'am completely okay with it, and i think it's totally normal for such a huge driver size. I'am happy with the i99 when the stage is out of your head, slightly in front of you and the imaging very 3D'ish or holographic, so you can hear instruments wandering in every direction. I love it, when you can hear tiny little things in the music wandering back and forth, left and right, up and down and diagonal.

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #35 of 4,269
Thank you very much for the first impression. :) When the bass is slightly on the softer side, i'am completely okay with it, and i think it's totally normal for such a huge driver size. I'am happy with the i99 when the stage is out of your head, slightly in front of you and the imaging very 3D'ish or holographic, so you can hear instruments wandering in every direction. I love it, when you can hear tiny little things in the music wandering back and forth, left and right, up and down and diagonal.

yes, with well recorded material, you’re going to get a spacious sound with pinpoint imaging, very nice!

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #36 of 4,269
I recently bought a ThieAudio Legacy 9 and thought I would share some observations comparing it to the i99. Beginning with build quality, I feel the i99 has the L9 beat although its wood shells are nicely done, so aesthetically I wouldn’t expect everyone to agree with me here. I had some QC issues with the L9 which definitely has biased me, so please keep that in mind. Regarding sound, let’s start with the bass: the L9 has more sub-bass which can be addictive with certain types of music whereas the i99 has more mid-bass which does bleed into the lower mids somewhat. The issue I have with the bass with the L9 is that I can’t listen nearly as long compared to the i99 due to the discomfort/pressure it creates in my ears.

The mids/upper-mids on the L9 are sharper with more of a piercing quality with certain genres of music whereas the i99 is more relaxed sounding comparatively; those who like more upfront vocals, I believe, would likely prefer the L9. The L9 trebles have a bit of a tizzy quality, but nothing so bad that should rule them out for consideration. I should add the tips used will play a much bigger difference in overall sound with the L9, and I did try just about everything in my inventory settling, at least for now, on the included foam tips. The i99 isn’t as fussy about such things, it just sounds great to my ears, although the bass bleed does darken things somewhat.

In my view, neither L9 or i99 have the transparency the Moondrop S8 has, but I kind of knew that going in, the S8 is a big favorite of mine. With that said as can probably be gathered from my comments, I like the i99 better overall than the L9, but they compliment each other well.

Jun 29, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #37 of 4,269
I'm definitely interested in this pair but am profoundly disappointed in BGGAR's video comparison of this to the EE Legend X.

Seems he forgot to compare the bass of the two!

He likes the i99 better in the mids and highs but glossed over the actual bass. Is it similar, comparable, less, more, faster, slower?

One would think given the fact that he compared the two that they're comparable, but it would be nice to have it articulated how these sound against other basshead sets in the actual bass.

I wouldn't exactly consider the L9 to be basshead (I have the L3, and I believe it uses the same driver).

Legend X, hyla te5b, CA Atlas, tfz no.3, heck, even blon bl-03 etcera comparisons would be great add ons.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #38 of 4,269
I'm definitely interested in this pair but am profoundly disappointed in BGGAR's video comparison of this to the EE Legend X.

Seems he forgot to compare the bass of the two!

He likes the i99 better in the mids and highs but glossed over the actual bass. Is it similar, comparable, less, more, faster, slower?

One would think given the fact that he compared the two that they're comparable, but it would be nice to have it articulated how these sound against other basshead sets in the actual bass.

I wouldn't exactly consider the L9 to be basshead (I have the L3, and I believe it uses the same driver)...

In my view, the i99 is a fabulous IEM although the mid-bass is ripe. Still, I enjoy listening to mine as a change of flavor from the rest in my collection. I did own the L9, but I never could get a reliable fit and the sub-bass was overpowering, hurting my ears; it was better suited for lowering listening levels. Also, the fit and finish on the i99 is excellent.

Jun 29, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #39 of 4,269
In my view, the i99 is a fabulous IEM although the mid-bass is ripe. Still, I enjoy listening to mine as a change of flavor from the rest in my collection. I did own the L9, but I never could get a reliable fit and the sub-bass was overpowering, hurting my ears; it was better suited for lowering listening levels. Also, the fit and finish on the i99 is excellent.
You seem to be the guy on here that owns them outside of @Hawaiibadboy aka BGGAR who I apparently can't tag right now. I have a really hard time getting a good seal in my left ear with the L3, so I know your frustration on the L9. I think their nozzles just kind of... Suck.

Really wondering if the bass on the i99 is at the level of the legend X. If it is, I'll buy them in a heartbeat. They're just sitting in my Ali cart with DHL shipping....

Was going to get the Penon orb and a couple others but this intrigues me greatly.

Jun 29, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #40 of 4,269
j
You seem to be the guy on here that owns them outside of @Hawaiibadboy aka BGGAR who I apparently can't tag right now. I have a really hard time getting a good seal in my left ear with the L3, so I know your frustration on the L9. I think their nozzles just kind of... Suck.

Really wondering if the bass on the i99 is at the level of the legend X. If it is, I'll buy them in a heartbeat. They're just sitting in my Ali cart with DHL shipping....

Was going to get the Penon orb and a couple others but this intrigues me greatly.

Given the graph BGGAR posted on the i99/Legend X, I would think not.

Jun 30, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #41 of 4,269
j

Given the graph BGGAR posted on the i99/Legend X, I would think not.
That begs the question, why compare them if they're not absolute bass cannons.... He likes a lot of pairs better than the Legend X. Based on the graph, they are tuned a slight bit less bass heavy, but a little EQ might fix that given the driver size and type.

Meh, couldn't resist the urge. They're on the way to me.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #42 of 4,269
That begs the question, why compare them if they're not absolute bass cannons.... He likes a lot of pairs better than the Legend X. Based on the graph, they are tuned a slight bit less bass heavy, but a little EQ might fix that given the driver size and type.

Meh, couldn't resist the urge. They're on the way to me.

I hope you like the i99, please report back. Also, whether you believe in burn-in or not, I would advise not making any judgements until you get some time on them.

Jul 1, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #43 of 4,269
I hope you like the i99, please report back. Also, whether you believe in burn-in or not, I would advise not making any judgements until you get some time on them.
Thanks, I figured as much with this set. I'm used to Dd's, and in particular Beryllium, needing some time (though not as much as planars). I'm going to run them 24/7 for probably 250 hours or so before really believing they're settled down.

Jul 1, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #44 of 4,269
Thanks, I figured as much with this set. I'm used to Dd's, and in particular Beryllium, needing some time (though not as much as planars). I'm going to run them 24/7 for probably 250 hours or so before really believing they're settled down.

Good, you’ll hear them as they truly are.

Jul 11, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #45 of 4,269
I just finished my LUNA review, and now I can start working on the i99 review which I will have up in the coming week ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back