7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Oct 30, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #496 of 4,273
Managed to score the Timeless from the Dudo store on Ali - thanks @holsen . I actually somehow hit all the magic combinations to put the order in and get Dudo on chat, after which they changed the price, I refreshed the cart, and there it was :) . Anyway I am looking forward to joining the club!

Oct 30, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #497 of 4,273
Can't decide between the Timeless and a good single DD (Hana 2021 or maybe Oxygen if I stretch my budget). Will be listening mainly to classical and instrumental music, as well as jazz. Any advice?
Or should I just remove AliX from my phone and stay away from these forums until the 11/11 madness subsides 😂

Oct 30, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #500 of 4,273
Not really. Driving them loud does not equal driving them well, to their full potential. Mine sound OK with BTR5, better with Hip DAC 2 and best with my desktop setup, Burson Soloist 3XP. Always balanced, of course.
True, I can drive them loud enough with my BT20S pro, but it just doesn't have the same bass quality as pairing the Timeless with my tube amp. Doesn't necessarily means more bass tho. At the end of the day, even directly paired up with smartphone, the sound is still very good.

Oct 30, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #504 of 4,273
Do you mean high output impedance of tube amp results in better control? It is surprising for me :)
Doesn't necessarily have to be tube amp. It just happened that I am using tube amp for my desktop.

Oct 30, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #505 of 4,273
Not really. Driving them loud does not equal driving them well, to their full potential. Mine sound OK with BTR5, better with Hip DAC 2 and best with my desktop setup, Burson Soloist 3XP. Always balanced, of course.
He states they require power. They don't.. Not saying they won't enjoy it but they work and sound very good out of normal sources in my experience.

Oct 30, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #506 of 4,273
Here's my take on the Timeless:

• It's a good set, but I don't love it.
  • The fit is not as weird as you might fear by the look of it. The circular outer is a a facade, with the bulk of the IEM not as large / round as the IEM may seem. That said, fit security is not great -- but for me, not much worse than a lot of 1xDD IEMs.
  • Tuning I describe as a mild V tune, mostly from the bass emphasis. It's a bit bassy for my tastes, but the excellent treble extension keeps it from sounding too congested and boxy. Generally it's a pleasant tune that should work for a lot of people.
  • I find the bass a bit soft in attack, especially listening head to head with a couple of similarly-tuned IEMs, Tanchjim Hana21 and Moondrop KATO.
  • I did find Timeless a tad sibilant for me.
  • For me, if I'm looking for this sound signature at this price, I think Hana21 and KATO are a lot more engaging. Hana21 has standout staging and imaging that's a lot of fun, while KATO has a stronger sense of definition and sharpness on both treble and bass attack. Timeless is a good set, and if you absolutely must have a planar driver, it's pretty uniquely positioned. But for ~$200 with this sound signature, it's not my favorite.

Here's my FR measurement: https://squig.link/?share=Super_Review_Target,7Hz_Timeless

graph - 2021-10-30T203850.484.png

And, uh, I'll just leave this here...

graph - 2021-10-30T203945.630.png

Oct 31, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #507 of 4,273
Here's my take on the Timeless:

• It's a good set, but I don't love it.
  • The fit is not as weird as you might fear by the look of it. The circular outer is a a facade, with the bulk of the IEM not as large / round as the IEM may seem. That said, fit security is not great -- but for me, not much worse than a lot of 1xDD IEMs.
  • Tuning I describe as a mild V tune, mostly from the bass emphasis. It's a bit bassy for my tastes, but the excellent treble extension keeps it from sounding too congested and boxy. Generally it's a pleasant tune that should work for a lot of people.
  • I find the bass a bit soft in attack, especially listening head to head with a couple of similarly-tuned IEMs, Tanchjim Hana21 and Moondrop KATO.
  • I did find Timeless a tad sibilant for me.
  • For me, if I'm looking for this sound signature at this price, I think Hana21 and KATO are a lot more engaging. Hana21 has standout staging and imaging that's a lot of fun, while KATO has a stronger sense of definition and sharpness on both treble and bass attack. Timeless is a good set, and if you absolutely must have a planar driver, it's pretty uniquely positioned. But for ~$200 with this sound signature, it's not my favorite.

Here's my FR measurement: https://squig.link/?share=Super_Review_Target,7Hz_Timeless

graph - 2021-10-30T203850.484.png

And, uh, I'll just leave this here...

graph - 2021-10-30T203945.630.png

Great review!

What is the Soloist 2?

I managed to order a pair of the Timeless at the price that was promised to @holsen so I am looking forward to comparing it to other sets in the same price range, like the KATO and Thieaudio L4, as well as some in the next tier up like the Oracle and Fearless S8F…. :)

Oct 31, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #508 of 4,273
Great review!

What is the Soloist 2?

I managed to order a pair of the Timeless at the price that was promised to @holsen so I am looking forward to comparing it to other sets in the same price range, like the KATO and Thieaudio L4, as well as some in the next tier up like the Oracle and Fearless S8F…. :)
From what I understand RE: the Soloist 2, it's a tentative name. I got sent an early engineering sample via Aoshida Audio, no box, no details about the IEM (it's not even branded). But it sounded pretty decent. Turns out it also uses a 14.8mm planar driver... and measures a lot like the Timeless.

Oct 31, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #509 of 4,273
The 8k peak on the Timeless worries me. I know part of it is just the way the coupler, etc. but all of the graphs so far show a similarly sharp +5dB rise and fall.

Oct 31, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #510 of 4,273
The 8k peak on the Timeless worries me. I know part of it is just the way the coupler, etc. but all of the graphs so far show a similarly sharp +5dB rise and fall.
Don't let it concern you. It's not even noticeable. I'm fairly sensitive to treble and the Timeless is actually surprisingly mellow. Detailed highs, but not piercing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back