7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Nov 9, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #3,376 of 4,275
Hi....what do you means with OG Timeless?!? The first original ones?!?
Yes, he means the original, first generation, 7Hz Timeless.

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #3,377 of 4,275
I received the JVC spiral dots tips, they deliver the sound I was expecting, except maybe for the bass which is a bit on the lean side compared to the Sennheiser tips (which are really great for a laid-back kind of sound). On the other hand the Azla crystal tips have really grown on me. I'm liking a lot those three tips. I'll post a more detailed comparison of the tips I have, i think it will be interesting to describe the difference between each of them.

Nov 9, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #3,378 of 4,275
I received the JVC spiral dots tips, they deliver the sound I was expecting, except maybe for the bass which is a bit on the lean side compared to the Sennheiser tips (which are really great for a laid-back kind of sound). On the other hand the Azla crystal tips have really grown on me. I'm liking a lot those three tips. I'll post a more detailed comparison of the tips I have, i think it will be interesting to describe the difference between each of them.
Yes please, will wait, for me it's important as i am thinking what tips to get to try with timeless so it would be nice to have some info from your side. Tips very important with timeless as they can make this iem godsend or completelly destroy their sound.

Nov 9, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #3,379 of 4,275
The OG Timeless has a (relatively) wide soundstage but is lacking in depth and height.

What kind of music are you listening to and from where? I mean, Amazon, Qobuz, Tidal, local files?

Not sure whether it is due to our HRTF difference or variations in our individual psychoacoustics perception or different points of reference (you can look at my signature for my other listening gears), but I have never regarded the OG Timeless to have a wide soundstage. However, I felt the OG has decent amount of height staging. I always imagine it like two tall concert speakers and you're in the front row getting blasted. Timeless AE slightly improved the height further in my head, as in the imagined speakers got bigger and taller.

I listen mostly on Tidal and local FLAC files, typically pop (largely J-pop), jazz, movie soundtracks, and occasional orchestral piece.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #3,380 of 4,275
Yes please, will wait, for me it's important as i am thinking what tips to get to try with timeless so it would be nice to have some info from your side. Tips very important with timeless as they can make this iem godsend or completelly destroy their sound.
That is so true. I wouldn't have kept the timeless with the stock tips. Quite amazing how you can tune the signature to your likings too with different tips.

Nov 13, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #3,382 of 4,275
I ordered a bunch of eartips to test with the Timeless and thought I would explain my preferences and they sound relatively to each other. I'm using large tips (usually 14mm) which work well out of the ear canal (so not really using the Timeless as true in-ears). In general my preference goes for a balanced sound with a laid-back top end. I was using my HD600 with Dekoni fenestrated pads whenever I needed a point of comparison. The goal for me with the Timeless is to control the bass and to tame the top end. Based on that here is my classification:
  1. Azla Crystal - Neutral tuning: these are a strange animal, they sounded cold and sterile at first glance, but they grew up on me and now feel very neutral and accurate with a tight and punchy bass, a prominent midrange and a natural treble. The borderline analytical presentation makes everything stand out as if you were observing the music through a microscope, and yet there is a tactile feel that makes music very intense and that you don't find in silicon tips. Everything sounds crisp and well-textured, it's basically the raw unfiltered Timeless sound here. The soundstage does feel a bit closed-in compared to traditional silicon tips. These would make a great studio headset.
  2. Sennheiser IE pro silicone - Warmish tuning: these have the longest stem and the warmest sound signature of the bunch with great deep bass, full-bodied midrange and a treble that is still pronounced but probably tamed a bit by the filters inside the tips. They are not overly bassy either and are just a great choice if you want a relaxing sound with a deep soundstage that lets you pinpoint every instrument.
  3. JVC Spiral Dot - Balanced tuning: these have a well balanced presentation that is hard to fault. Compared to the Sennheiser tips the bass is more on the lean side and the top-end is even smoother, making the midrange more prominent. The soundstage is less deep but more open. It's a good choice if you want to turn your Timeless into a HD600 wannabe.
  4. Epro EP01 - Balanced tuning: these have a short stem which makes them a difficult fit with the Timeless. The bass is probably not as impactful as it should be and the seal is perfectible, but overall they still work nicely as a Spiral Dot alternative. It's just unfortunate they don't provide a longer stem, at least for the large format.
  5. Spinfit CP500 - Balanced tuning: these may have the most airy sound signature, they do a great job at controlling the bass and treble while smoothing the whole frequency response. However the material used is too flexible and the seal very perfectible, therefore they feel like lack body and texture compared to firmer silicon tips.
  6. Acoustune AET08 - slightly V-shaped tuning: these are the only stock tips that I would consider using (the other ones being too bright for my tastes), they have a very decent tonality and a surprisingly good timbre. The bass is tight and the sparkle is well controlled in the top end. These tips are better than I remembered, the only bad thing about them is their narrow diameter (13mm) which makes it a difficult fit.
  7. Tennmak Whirldwind - Brightish tuning: these provide a well-rounded and open sound that is not overly analytical like some of the stock tips, but they lack the midrange fullness and bass impact of the other silicon tips in this list because of their short stem. Not really my cup of tea but I can see why some people like them.
My conclusion after comparing these tips is that I wouldn't recommend tips with short stems and/or flimsy material as these tend to often break the seal with the Timeless and kill the bass and lower midrange. Of course this is based on my own ear shape, your experience may vary.

The 3 tips I would recommend to try are the Azla, the Sennheiser and the JVC, which are all excellent options with different flavours. For me the Azla bring something unique though and I'd be curious to test other type of materials.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #3,383 of 4,275
I ordered a bunch of eartips to test with the Timeless and thought I would explain my preferences and they sound relatively to each other. I'm using large tips (usually 14mm) which work well out of the ear canal (so not really using the Timeless as true in-ears). In general my preference goes for a balanced sound with a laid-back top end. I was using my HD600 with Dekoni fenestrated pads whenever I needed a point of comparison. The goal for me with the Timeless is to control the bass and to tame the top end. Based on that here is my classification:
  1. Azla Crystal - Neutral tuning: these are a strange animal, they sounded cold and sterile at first glance, but they grew up on me and now feel very neutral and accurate with a tight and punchy bass, a prominent midrange and a natural treble. The borderline analytical presentation makes everything stand out as if you were observing the music through a microscope, and yet there is a tactile feel that makes music very intense and that you don't find in silicon tips. Everything sounds crisp and well-textured, it's basically the raw unfiltered Timeless sound here. The soundstage does feel a bit closed-in compared to traditional silicon tips. These would make a great studio headset.
  2. Sennheiser IE pro - Warmish tuning: these have the longest stem and the warmest sound signature of the bunch with great deep bass, full-bodied midrange and a treble that is still pronounced but probably tamed a bit by the filters inside the tips. They are not overly bassy either and are just a great choice if you want a relaxing sound with a deep soundstage that lets you pinpoint every instrument.
  3. JVC Spiral Dot - Balanced tuning: these have a well balanced presentation that is hard to fault. Compared to the Sennheiser tips the bass is more on the lean side and the top-end is even smoother, making the midrange more prominent. The soundstage is less deep but more open. It's a good choice if you want to turn your Timeless into a HD600 wannabe.
  4. Epro EP01 - Balanced tuning: these have a short stem which makes them a difficult fit with the Timeless. The bass is probably not as impactful as it should be and the seal is perfectible, but overall they still work nicely as a Spiral Dot alternative. It's just unfortunate they don't provide a longer stem, at least for the large format.
  5. Spinfit CP500 - Balanced tuning: these may have the most airy sound signature, they do a great job at controlling the bass and treble while smoothing the whole frequency response. However the material used is too flexible and the seal very perfectible, therefore they feel like lack body and texture compared to firmer silicon tips.
  6. Acoustune AET08 - slightly V-shaped tuning: these are the only stock tips that I would consider using (the other ones being too bright for my tastes), they have a very decent tonality and a surprisingly good timbre. The bass is tight and the sparkle is well controlled in the top end. These tips are better than I remembered, the only bad thing about them is their narrow diameter (13mm) which makes it a difficult fit.
  7. Tennmak Whirldwind - Brightish tuning: these provide a well-rounded and open sound that is not overly analytical like some of the stock tips, but they lack the midrange fullness and bass impact of the other silicon tips in this list because of their short stem. Not really my cup of tea but I can see why some people like them.
My conclusion after comparing these tips is that I wouldn't recommend tips with short stems and/or flimsy material as these tend to often break the seal with the Timeless and kill the bass and lower midrange. Of course this is based on my own ear shape, your experience may vary.

The 3 tips I would recommend to try are the Azla, the Sennheiser and the JVC, which are all excellent options with different flavours. For me the Azla bring something unique though and I'd be curious to test other type of materials.
I get a good seal with the Epro EP00. Much different than the 01's in terms of both fit and sound for me.

Nov 13, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #3,384 of 4,275
  2. Sennheiser IE pro - Warmish tuning: these have the longest stem and the warmest sound signature of the bunch with great deep bass, full-bodied midrange and a treble that is still pronounced but probably tamed a bit by the filters inside the tips. They are not overly bassy either and are just a great choice if you want a relaxing sound with a deep soundstage that lets you pinpoint every instrument.

Thanks , azla classic that i have short light also for me the most direct, linear, clear and truth sounding tips with timeless. So i am not surprised that crystal also works the same. I only need loger tips to make timeless better fit. So crysal thanks for sharing i will buy them to try. But i see how different from different tips it can sound so for everyone recommend to try as many as possible. Thanks for sharing your experience

Nov 13, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #3,385 of 4,275
Thanks a bunch. The Sennheiser IE Pro tips look interesting. Are they the silicon or memory foam? Which size do you have in use? I'm not sure what size I should order and size M is currently not available.
Damn it, Head-Fi makes me try over 9000 eartips soon. :L3000:

Nov 13, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #3,386 of 4,275

Very nice little write-up!

I know it had to take some time homing in on all the (subtle) differences. As for myself, I have found the Final Type E to control the treble (misbehavior) the most, but because of the necks on the Timeless they don't get a super permanent seal (read, moving around, or yawning, etc... breaks the seal), where the stock wide bore (foam like) tips give the best of seal and sound balance for my ears. This is also based on being fully inserted into my ears. I have a real problem getting a seal with any sets that sit just outside my ears (so most contemporary TWS are very hard to fit for me).

I have also found a set of tips from my old Xiaomi Piston II to be very good too. They are VERY much like the Tenmak Whirlwind, but longer. Most of the other (big named) tips are just ok with the Timeless IMO; CP100, CP100+, Tenmak Whirlwind customs, CP360, CP140, Azla Sednaearfit, Final Type E, DUNU stock, iBasso Stock, other stock, etc...

I didn't include any foams because I have yet to like them with any of my IEMs (though to be fair I didn't even try them with the Timeless).

Nov 13, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #3,387 of 4,275
I get a good seal with the Epro EP00. Much different than the 01's in terms of both fit and sound for me.
Oh really? I thought the EP00 would have a way too small bore. And they cost me an arm with the shipping fees from the US lol.

Thanks , azla classic that i have short light also for me the most direct, linear, clear and truth sounding tips with timeless. So i am not surprised that crystal also works the same. I only need loger tips to make timeless better fit. So crysal thanks for sharing i will buy them to try. But i see how different from different tips it can sound so for everyone recommend to try as many as possible. Thanks for sharing your experience
That's good to know! The Alza standard tips are next on my list, I wonder how they compare with the Crystals. This guide is super useful by the way: https://www.audioreviews.org/guide-to-iem-silicone-eartips/

Thanks a bunch. The Sennheiser IE Pro tips look interesting. Are they the silicon or memory foam? Which size do you have in use? I'm not sure what size I should order and size M is currently not available.
Damn it, Head-Fi makes me try over 9000 eartips soon. :L3000:
The Sennheiser tips are firm silicon, I'm using the large format which is 14mm wide. The long stem makes it a great fit for the Timeless, no need to push the earphones like with most other tips. I think medium is 12mm but Sennheiser doesn't provide any details. Here is the exact model:
https://fr-fr.sennheiser.com/silicone-ear-adapter

Very nice little write-up!

I know it had to take some time homing in on all the (subtle) differences. As for myself, I have found the Final Type E to control the treble (misbehavior) the most, but because of the necks on the Timeless they don't get a super permanent seal (read, moving around, or yawning, etc... breaks the seal), where the stock wide bore (foam like) tips give the best of seal and sound balance for my ears. This is also based on being fully inserted into my ears. I have a real problem getting a seal with any sets that sit just outside my ears (so most contemporary TWS are very hard to fit for me).

I have also found a set of tips from my old Xiaomi Piston II to be very good too. They are VERY much like the Tenmak Whirlwind, but longer. Most of the other (big named) tips are just ok with the Timeless IMO; CP100, CP100+, Tenmak Whirlwind customs, CP360, CP140, Azla Sednaearfit, Final Type E, DUNU stock, iBasso Stock, other stock, etc...

I didn't include any foams because I have yet to like them with any of my IEMs (though to be fair I didn't even try them with the Timeless).
I wanted to try the type e but I'm afraid they will be too small for me, as your comment suggests it :frowning2: The Timeless do make it very complicated to find the right tips lol. But at least once you know what kind of tips work it gets easier.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #3,388 of 4,275
Oh really? I thought the EP00 would have a way too small bore. And they cost me an arm with the shipping fees from the US lol.

That's good to know! The Alza standard tips are next on my list, I wonder how they compare with the Crystals. This guide is super useful by the way: https://www.audioreviews.org/guide-to-iem-silicone-eartips/

The Sennheiser tips are firm silicon, I'm using the large format which is 14mm wide. The long stem makes it a great fit for the Timeless, no need to push the earphones like with most other tips. I think medium is 12mm but Sennheiser doesn't provide any details. Here is the exact model:
https://fr-fr.sennheiser.com/silicone-ear-adapter

I wanted to try the type e but I'm afraid they will be too small for me, as your comment suggests it :frowning2: The Timeless do make it very complicated to find the right tips lol. But at least once you know what kind of tips work it gets easier.
Yes. From the sound of it, the Type E might just be too small for you unless you get the Final Type E TWS (these might work well for your preferred fitment). They are very narrow bore, but are also very narrow, and meant for deep insertion.

As for the Sednaearfit vs. the Crystal, AFAIK they are the same tip, but the Crystals are meant for shallow insertion and are short (meant for TWS and shallow charging boxes), where the Sednaearfit are the same thing, but longer (normal insertion) meant more for regular IEMs. This isn't to say that you can't get a good fit with them also.

The Spinfit CP360 are meant for TWS in that they are shorter, but I do find them to be the closest to regular tips of the shorter (meant for TWS) tips. These are the ones I ended up with on the Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch (after MUCH tip rolling with these), for instance. I didn't find them to work as well with the Timeless though, though they did sound pretty good.

Nov 13, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #3,389 of 4,275
Yes. From the sound of it, the Type E might just be too small for you unless you get the Final Type E TWS (these might work well for your preferred fitment). They are very narrow bore, but are also very narrow, and meant for deep insertion.

As for the Sednaearfit vs. the Crystal, AFAIK they are the same tip, but the Crystals are meant for shallow insertion and are short (meant for TWS and shallow charging boxes), where the Sednaearfit are the same thing, but longer (normal insertion) meant more for regular IEMs. This isn't to say that you can't get a good fit with them also.

The Spinfit CP360 are meant for TWS in that they are shorter, but I do find them to be the closest to regular tips of the shorter (meant for TWS) tips. These are the ones I ended up with on the Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch (after MUCH tip rolling with these), for instance. I didn't find them to work as well with the Timeless though, though they did sound pretty good.
The type E tws seem to have a 13.3mm, it's still a bit small for me unfortunately.

Regarding the Sednaearfit you're right they are longer than the Crystals! That's what makes the Crystals a bit annoying to fit in sometimes (you just need to make sure they are fully inserted). But it seems the Sednaearfit also use a more conventional type of silicone, right? I think they might work really well with the Timeless.

Nov 13, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #3,390 of 4,275
No, the center tube / core / stem or whatever you want to call it is soft and flexible. Slides on no problem. That stem is longer so it effectively makes the tip longer so you can get deeper insertion. I know I tried the EP01 and from memory I don't think I could even get a seal with them on Timeless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back