7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Mar 4, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #2,356 of 4,275
I agree with both statements for this, and I suppose on my last post I should have pre-qualified that statement by stating that all things being equal (part of which is getting a good seal). As to "less bass" I was generalizing. The allowance of treble energy for a wide bore gives the perceived tightening up of the bass, and with less quantity because there is more treble energy hitting your ears directly as opposed to being dampened by the smaller diameter hole, and materials used (for instance). This is also why foams are known to be bassier, and less treble, not because of the bore size (in this case), but because of the material that dampens the treble energy (that is weaker than bass energy).

For instance, it is similar to a cross-over. This is basically a length of wire measured purposely to allow the treble to lose its energy, while the bass energy passes through to the amp/speaker/etc...
Yeah there's also the impact of the material used (and its thickness too). Even when comparing different kind of silicon tips. That's what makes things very hard when it comes to generalizing.

Mar 5, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #2,358 of 4,275
I've decided that I want to make them open-back. They'd be the best IEM in the world if I could find a way to do it properly. If I break the earphones while doing it, then so be it, I'll buy a second, then a third pair. Has anyone else ever tried this?
Yes, they are called earbuds. :wink: But sounds kinda fun otherwise. Let us know how it goes?!

The Xioami Piston II were semi open back, as well as others I have seen. It doesn't work as well as you might think IMO, though there has been one such open back earphone as of late (and they do work very well); the Sony Linkbud. But these are not only open back, but they are earbuds also (meaning they don't go into your ears like IEMs).

Mar 5, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #2,359 of 4,275
I've decided that I want to make them open-back. They'd be the best IEM in the world if I could find a way to do it properly. If I break the earphones while doing it, then so be it, I'll buy a second, then a third pair. Has anyone else ever tried this?
Sounds like a fun experiment! You could also get yourself on the waiting list for the IMR EDP Ace. Its a convertible Planar with interchangeable Open Back, Closed Back Faceplate grills.

Mar 5, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #2,360 of 4,275
Been trying to get along with the Eternal lately, but it's not really working for me. Tried just about every cable I own and about a half dozen tips. The only cable that sounds decent is the 8 core graphene. But in any configuration, it just doesn't match the Timeless for overall performance. There's just too much missing and not enough space in the stage. Not sure I'll end up keeping these.

Mar 6, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #2,361 of 4,275
Sounds like a fun experiment! You could also get yourself on the waiting list for the IMR EDP Ace. Its a convertible Planar with interchangeable Open Back, Closed Back Faceplate grills.
That IMR EDP Ace looks very interesting, are you one of the current three on the waiting list?

Mar 6, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #2,362 of 4,275
That IMR EDP Ace looks very interesting, are you one of the current three on the waiting list?
Ive got a confirmed order. I was # 16 of 125. The current 3 are 126 127 and 128. I had the the original EDP and it was sensational. As the shipping date approaches, a few confirmed orders always drop out out, so if it's interesting to you, it's worth registering

Mar 6, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #2,363 of 4,275
Just received the Timeless, and I must say they sound exceptional with my Hiby R3 Pro and especially with the Shanling M0. I was surprised just how amazing they sound with the M0 as they have such amazing synergy together. I have no idea how such an affordable DAP can sound so fantastic. I kind of feel guilty pairing these with relatively affordable DAPs though and want these IEMs to shine to the fullest of their ability. What DAPs have you guys tried that make these cans truly sing?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #2,364 of 4,275
What DAPs have you guys tried that make these cans truly sing?
They have a real nice synergy with DX312 👍

Silver 2.jpg

Mar 6, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #2,365 of 4,275
They have a real nice synergy with DX312 👍

Absolutely agree with this. I’ve only had amp 12 for a few days. For me there is something magical going on with the Times ad DX312. I think it is how the drum kit is presented. Very much like live music. Cuts through the mix but doesn’t overpower. I’ve used them with the M0, but didn’t find the pairing exceptional. Still very good though.

Mar 6, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #2,367 of 4,275
Ive got a confirmed order. I was # 16 of 125. The current 3 are 126 127 and 128. I had the the original EDP and it was sensational. As the shipping date approaches, a few confirmed orders always drop out out, so if it's interesting to you, it's worth registering
I booked 2 cause whenever I grab my original edp (we had this talk before hehehe) I’m reminded that there’s pair of headphones that sound brutally analogue, with true to life drums and god damn… everything sounds so palpable. I tried the timeless and I really got tempted… til I placed the edp on my ears again.

Edp paired with either mojo1 (currently conspiring to get mojo2) and wm1a are the kind of pairings that make me feel I don’t need anything else in this hobby. So much that I stopped buying hyped gear. Maybe not thread to post this but still… if you catch an edp on the wild GRAB IT

Mar 6, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #2,368 of 4,275
What were you driving Timeless with before the Topping?
Btr5. PC headphone jack before that. PC headphone jack was awful with the timeless. Btr5, I was like ehh, I can kinda see what people are talking about. Resolution, response, and technicalities are good. L50, is another league above that where it's audio nirvana.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #2,369 of 4,275
I booked 2 cause whenever I grab my original edp (we had this talk before hehehe) I’m reminded that there’s pair of headphones that sound brutally analogue, with true to life drums and god damn… everything sounds so palpable. I tried the timeless and I really got tempted… til I placed the edp on my ears again.

Edp paired with either mojo1 (currently conspiring to get mojo2) and wm1a are the kind of pairings that make me feel I don’t need anything else in this hobby. So much that I stopped buying hyped gear. Maybe not thread to post this but still… if you catch an edp on the wild GRAB IT
Why not the iFi xDSD Gryphon?

Mar 6, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #2,370 of 4,275
Why not the iFi xDSD Gryphon?
Mojo1 is absolutely amazing, mojo2 sounds more with steroids, i prefer sound quality over connectivity options. So far mojo2 impressions are great. I’ll wait til the end of the year to make up my mind, I’m considering a wm1z too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back