7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Mar 4, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #2,341 of 4,275
Yes, you can "pop" the planar driver if you overdrive it, and it can happen before you have a chance to turn down the volume. I haven't had it happen, but I've seen it reported in the HIfiman HE6 thread, they used speaker amplifiers to drive their HE6 headphones because for a long time there were no/few headphone amps that could muster up 5w-7w, or more than the HE6 can use safely. Of course they are still doing it today because the Speaker Amps "sound better"... Pop!!

It is easy to accidentally leave the volume up from another set up, that is why I always turn down the volume before I power on a device. Just to be sure. I've had 2 "events" early in my career with way too much power into way too big speakers, and I'm fortunate I didn't "pop" my ears.

So yeah, the 7HZ Timeless driver is physically a lot smaller, so I can imagine it wouldn't take much power for too long to pop it too. Whatever "procedure" or process you can work out to make sure you never do that again, and you shouldn't need to worry.

Good thing they weren't in your ears... yipes! :ksc75smile:
Nice way to answer. I was thinking along a similar line but you said it so well. I would only add that if you, @UnderpathBum had damaged the planar unit, you'd know. It's a very thin membrane and it would have either popped, ripped or torn. If it sounds good, you have noting to worry about, you haven't started a progressive problem.

Mar 4, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #2,342 of 4,275
With deep insertion the sound is a little smoother and slightly swollen in the mid-bass.

With a shallow insertion they are on the thinner side, with less bass but cleaner and an overall gain in clarity, soundstage, imaging and slam.

The technicalities, the resolution, the detail, the speed, however, are crazy for the price.

Objectively, the highs are a bit spicy, from a neutral source.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #2,344 of 4,275
Yes, you can "pop" the planar driver if you overdrive it, and it can happen before you have a chance to turn down the volume. I haven't had it happen, but I've seen it reported in the HIfiman HE6 thread, they used speaker amplifiers to drive their HE6 headphones because for a long time there were no/few headphone amps that could muster up 5w-7w, or more than the HE6 can use safely. Of course they are still doing it today because the Speaker Amps "sound better"... Pop!!

It is easy to accidentally leave the volume up from another set up, that is why I always turn down the volume before I power on a device. Just to be sure. I've had 2 "events" early in my career with way too much power into way too big speakers, and I'm fortunate I didn't "pop" my ears.

So yeah, the 7HZ Timeless driver is physically a lot smaller, so I can imagine it wouldn't take much power for too long to pop it too. Whatever "procedure" or process you can work out to make sure you never do that again, and you shouldn't need to worry.

Good thing they weren't in your ears... yipes! :ksc75smile:
Thanks for your reply. What does a "popped" planar sound like? My Timeless does sound (maybe) a bit shoutier than before, and I am not sure it's my brain that tells that because of what happened to it.

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #2,345 of 4,275
Can anyone tell me how is the synergy with Lotoo Paw S1 and Dragonfly Cobalt?

With which dongle did you get the best results?
I find the synergy with the Cayin RU6 to be excellent. It helps take some of the edge off of the treble which can be a touch hot to my ears with neutral sources.

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #2,346 of 4,275
Thanks for your reply. What does a "popped" planar sound like? My Timeless does sound (maybe) a bit shoutier than before, and I am not sure it's my brain that tells that because of what happened to it.
It will either not work at all, or you will get such distortion, that you can't stand to listen to it, or will will just not make a sound in the frequency/area that was damaged. I don't think it would make it more shouty.

Today's speakers/headphones/IEMs/etc... are much harder to damage than yesteryear. They used to use paper driver for older speakers. I'm sure most (older) people remember the sound of a blown speaker (or 4 :)) coming from someone's car speakers. Today they use very stretchy membranes that do not tear/rip/puncture as easily as they used to. So, unless you put more than, say 10W through them for any sustained time, I would say you are probably fine.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure you WOULD know beyond doubt if you damaged them.

Edit: While I don't know what dongle you are using, I also submit that if it is just a dongle and coming out of a PC (for instance), you probably can't put enough wattage into them to damage them anyhow.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #2,347 of 4,275
I find the synergy with the Cayin RU6 to be excellent. It helps take some of the edge off of the treble which can be a touch hot to my ears with neutral sources.
+1

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #2,348 of 4,275
I got a topping L50 amp today and holy @#$% does the timeless sound incredible now. I was expecting like a 3% difference, not a different league. I don't even want to put a number to it, but it's so enjoyable now. All the problems I had with the tonality went away. Bass is normal isn't of poofy, and the instruments mesh together correctly. The cold analytical feeling is gone. It feels more musical. I went from wanting to use cheap iems like vidos, leas, and whizzer he01s over the timeless to just wanting to use the timeless all the time now.

I'm using a btr5 as a dac. I get the khadas tone pro 2 for dac next week. Not expecting much since the sound is already so good. +3% from here would be incredible.
What were you driving Timeless with before the Topping?

Mar 4, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #2,349 of 4,275
With deep insertion the sound is a little smoother and slightly swollen in the mid-bass.

With a shallow insertion they are on the thinner side, with less bass but cleaner and an overall gain in clarity, soundstage, imaging and slam.

The technicalities, the resolution, the detail, the speed, however, are crazy for the price.

Objectively, the highs are a bit spicy, from a neutral source.
I think the width of the bore can also help tame the treble. I have 16mm wide tips that make the timeless sound super smooth even with a shallow insertion.

Mar 4, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #2,350 of 4,275
"Popping" can actually be an audible "pop" when some element of the driver gives way / gives out, it can be a wire, component, but usually for over driving the actual driven element of the speaker has an over excursion event where the membrane separates from it's flexible attachments, or the membrane simply tears away from itself. Another kind is where the coil overheats and separates.

Usually you don't hear anything from it after it pops, only silence, But, with a torn vibrating membrane it might not be a clean separation initially, a ittle tear can occur that over time can cause a total failure.

But that Planar membrane is pretty darned tough, so if it didn't tear - you'd know it, the sound would change drastically, a buzz/vibration/distortion would be clearly audible.

I've never heard a Planar pop, or give way, but I have heard woofers and tweeters fail, and you'd know it right then - after the initial shock of the event fades. Like I said, I'd give it a few days away and then come back after your mind is clear.

It may take listening side by side with another 7HZ TImeless to convince you for sure yours is ok, the human mind is a strong believer in mistaken beliefs. :)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #2,351 of 4,275
"Popping" can actually be an audible "pop" when some element of the driver gives way / gives out, it can be a wire, component, but usually for over driving the actual driven element of the speaker has an over excursion event where the membrane separates from it's flexible attachments, or the membrane simply tears away from itself. Another kind is where the coil overheats and separates.

Usually you don't hear anything from it after it pops, only silence, But, with a torn vibrating membrane it might not be a clean separation initially, a ittle tear that can over time cause a failure can occur.

But that Planar membrane is pretty darned tough, so if it didn't tear - you'd know it, the sound would change drastically, a buzz/vibration/distortion would be clearly audible.

I've never heard a Planar pop, or give way, but I have heard woofers and tweeters fail, and you'd know it right then - after the initial shock of the event fades. Like I said, I'd give it a few days away and then come back after your mind is clear.

It may take listening side by side with another 7HZ TImeless to convince you for sure yours is ok, the human mind is a strong believer in mistaken beliefs. :)
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Mar 4, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #2,352 of 4,275
I think the width of the bore can also help tame the treble. I have 16mm wide tips that make the timeless sound super smooth even with a shallow insertion.
Most times I would say that I think you actually have that backwards. That is not to say that a pair of wide bore tips CAN'T tame the trebles, but generally speaking the rule of thumb is: wider = more treble, less bass and narrower = more bass, less treble. Take the Final Type E tips. They are known as "treble killers" because they are some of the narrowest on the market (at least for name brand tips).

Mar 4, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #2,353 of 4,275
Most times I would say that I think you actually have that backwards. That is not to say that a pair of wide bore tips CAN'T tame the trebles, but generally speaking the rule of thumb is: wider = more treble, less bass and narrower = more bass, less treble. Take the Final Type E tips. They are known as "treble killers" because they are some of the narrowest on the market (at least for name brand tips).
Not sure about the less bass part. The 16mm wide Powerbeats I have are bass monsters (with a smooth top end) and they are pretty short. I think that if the bore is wide enough it doesn't necessarily give out anything on bass response. It's a matter of securing a proper seal in the end.

Mar 4, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #2,355 of 4,275
It's a matter of securing a proper seal in the end.

i agree, more seal than width of the tip opening
I agree with both statements for this, and I suppose on my last post I should have pre-qualified that statement by stating that all things being equal (part of which is getting a good seal). As to "less bass" I was generalizing. The allowance of treble energy for a wide bore gives the perceived tightening up of the bass, and with less quantity because there is more treble energy hitting your ears directly as opposed to being dampened by the smaller diameter hole, and materials used (for instance). This is also why foams are known to be bassier, and less treble, not because of the bore size (in this case), but because of the material that dampens the treble energy (that is weaker than bass energy).

For instance, it is similar to a cross-over. This is basically a length of wire measured purposely to allow the treble to lose its energy, while the bass energy passes through to the amp/speaker/etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back