71 IEM Brief Review thread (incl. Rhine Monitors, Cleartune, CustomArt)
Jan 3, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #136 of 366
  Unless the IEM is super huge, I think fit is generally a personal issue. That being said, I loved the fit of the Westone W series.

I thought so, too. Yep, I also like to think that the Westone W series is the most comfortable due to their ergonomics. Thanks!

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #137 of 366
It was really interesting reading all those impressions on what are amongst the best IEMs you can find around the world.
It can definetly help people have a good idea on what direction they should look into to find the IEM they are looking for.

Yet, I think some of the readers here tend to forget a few crucial things: those are quick feedbacks and not full reviews.

I would certainly not base my choise on Jelt's impressions, with all due respect. It has given me good info on different CIEMs I was considering buying, nonetheless, I would never make the mistake to take those feedbacks as a green light to press the order button.

The problem is, you can't get the real potential of a CIEM when it is not entirely customed for your ears. Even with a good fit of someone else's pair, you may miss some things.
That is why I never trust demo versions of customs to be the perfect standard to witness what the real custom is capable of. Yes you'll be able to get a good glimpse of that potential, but never base a review on them. The different impressions you had between the custom demo of the Legend R and the real Legend R is just there to emphasize this matter.

Another thing that I find a bit disturbing is that it is nonesense for me to try that many IEMs at once, all the more when they have such different sound signatures. I can't see how you can still have a good memory of how the IEMs you listened to two hours ago sounded like.

I don't want all that to sound as a rant against Jelt's work, but I'd rather him to clearly explain that those quick feedbacks are based on demo models and thus may not be fully representative of the quality of the corresponding IEMs.

Jan 3, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #138 of 366
  It was really interesting reading all those impressions on what are amongst the best IEMs you can find around the world.
It can definetly help people have a good idea on what direction they should look into to find the IEM they are looking for.

Yet, I think some of the readers here tend to forget a few crucial things: those are quick feedbacks and not full reviews.

I would certainly not base my choise on Jelt's impressions, with all due respect. It has given me good info on different CIEMs I was considering buying, nonetheless, I would never make the mistake to take those feedbacks as a green light to press the order button.

The problem is, you can't get the real potential of a CIEM when it is not entirely customed for your ears. Even with a good fit of someone else's pair, you may miss some things.
That is why I never trust demo versions of customs to be the perfect standard to witness what the real custom is capable of. Yes you'll be able to get a good glimpse of that potential, but never base a review on them. The different impressions you had between the custom demo of the Legend R and the real Legend R is just there to emphasize this matter.

Another thing that I find a bit disturbing is that it is nonesense for me to try that many IEMs at once, all the more when they have such different sound signatures. I can't see how you can still have a good memory of how the IEMs you listened to two hours ago sounded like.

I don't want all that to sound as a rant against Jelt's work, but I'd rather him to clearly explain that those quick feedbacks are based on demo models and thus may not be fully representative of the quality of the corresponding IEMs.

Thank you for your feedback, Sirenia. These were all demo models. In some cases, the companies actually sell the demo models as universals. For example, this is true with the 1964 series. JHAudio and Noble also have some universal versions available. Many of the models I auditioned are also actually universals- the entire Westone W and U series, JVC, ATH, Dita, and so on.

I do not wish to get too much into discussing demos vs custom; but suffice to say that I believe that when a company puts a product out there for official sampling, then they should be ready for you to draw some conclusions after you sample. At the opposite end of the spectrum, I have seen some cases when companies just simply refuse to do demos, and their 'demo' is actually a 'generic ears' version of the custom they actually manufacture. No foam or silicon tips- you just have to shove them into your ears and hope for the best.

As always, take any reviews you read with a pinch of salt. I certainly do not guarantee that my reviews are fully representative. I personally see what I'm attempting as being similar to a food critic reviewing a restaurant after sampling one meal. Sure, I may not have been able to try everything- or even the best things- on the menu. Also a fact- I may not have tried it on its best day. Who knows, the head chef may not even have been in the kitchen! But I have nonetheless sampled the wares; and I have formed an opinion. These form the basis of my posts. If you prefer, treat what I write as entertainment. I know I certainly enjoy reading about sound almost as much as I enjoy listening to it. :)

PS, I do not post about every IEM that I listen to. For example, the 'demo' that was actually just a custom? I skipped that.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #139 of 366
  Unless the IEM is super huge, I think fit is generally a personal issue. That being said, I loved the fit of the Westone W series.

Yeah, I agree. Westone's W-series are very ergonomic in fit and small in size. Even the W60, with 6 drivers, is diminutive. They are small enough that they fit my wife's ears, which are really unforgiving of even medium-sized IEMs. It's a good thing then, that she thinks that the price of the W40-60 are astronomical. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #140 of 366

Thank you for your feedback, Sirenia. These were all demo models. In some cases, the companies actually sell the demo models as universals. For example, this is true with the 1964 series, and the Noble series. 

Noble does not sell universal fit version of their demo units. They have a separate universal series.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #141 of 366

Noble does not sell universal fit version of their demo units. They have a separate universal series.

Thanks bro- corrected.

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #143 of 366
The full review for Legend R will come in due time for those waiting for one. 

Though just to highlight, the Legend R was born before the end of November 2014, and even for myself, receiving them in early December 2014, there is a fair amount of time required to allow for them to burn in and settle down before a review can be penned. 

Even at 100 hours, 150 hours and 200 hours milestones, my Legend R continue to take shape and settling in. 
For those who have heard my unit on multiple occasions, have shared their insight on the positive improvements over various burn-in milestones. 

As always, getting as many impressions to build a more accurate gauge of the in-ear of interest is a prudent move. 
not often are demos available for auditions, and largely dependent on multiple impressions and auditions to guide your purchase decision.

That said, i believe most here who have shared their impressions on the Legend R here, only have the best of intentions.
Earwerkz promotion ended on 31 Dec 2014. Without a review to refer to, the next best options were the many impressions shared in this forum, so those who have interest in Earwerkz's flagship custom in-ear monitor, would at least have some reference before deciding to purchase. I do hope all our subjective impressions, quick bites, and notes, helped those to make their leap of faith, a more confident one. 
Someone has to do it, get the ball rolling and hopefully, the rest who do jump on board, may keep the momentum going.

To add, for those with experience in this hobby, they may be able to discern some characteristics of the in-ear monitors in the early stages, though this may prove to be a rough guide to some extent. While our subjective opinions may vary, they will prove useful to those who need them at the time it is available.

That's my 2 cents. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #144 of 366
The full review for Legend R will come in due time for those waiting for one. 

Though just to highlight, the Legend R was born before the end of November 2014, and even for myself, receiving them in early December 2014, there is a fair amount of time required to allow for them to burn in and settle down before a review can be penned. 

Even at 100 hours, 150 hours and 200 hours milestones, my Legend R continue to take shape and settling in. 
For those who have heard my unit on multiple occasions, have shared their insight on the positive improvements over various burn-in milestones. 

As always, getting as many impressions to build a more accurate gauge of the in-ear of interest is a prudent move. 
not often are demos available for auditions, and largely dependent on multiple impressions and auditions to guide your purchase decision.

That said, i believe most here who have shared their impressions on the Legend R here, only have the best of intentions.
Earwerkz promotion ended on 31 Dec 2014. Without a review to refer to, the next best options were the many impressions shared in this forum, so those who have interest in Earwerkz's flagship custom in-ear monitor, would at least have some reference before deciding to purchase. I do hope all our subjective impressions, quick bites, and notes, helped those to make their leap of faith, a more confident one. 
Someone has to do it, get the ball rolling and hopefully, the rest who do jump on board, may keep the momentum going.

To add, for those with experience in this hobby, they may be able to discern some characteristics of the in-ear monitors in the early stages, though this may prove to be a rough guide to some extent. While our subjective opinions may vary, they will prove useful to those who need them at the time it is available.

That's my 2 cents. 

I thought jack was considering extending the promotion until a Legend-r tour took place. Is that not happening any more?

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #146 of 366
Jan 3, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #147 of 366
Doubt the price of 999 will appear again though. Maybe only the kickstarter backers for the supra will get some discounts based on what Jack has said in the campaign.

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #149 of 366
  Do you think the IM04 is a great value for its price... 520$ 

I think value is very subjective... You can only decide that yourself :)

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #150 of 366
The IM04 is an IEM I owned a few months ago. I absolutely fell in love with its mids and intimate presentation.
Yet, the isolation was quite bad so when I was going out with them in my ears, I was losing a part of that awesome warm sound.

I would say that 520$ might be a little too much for them: with their warm signature and isolation that could really be better, they will not please everyone.
The best is always to be able to try them out before you buy them if you can or at least to try find a used one that you can buy cheaper and then sell back if you don't like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back