70's Sennheiser HD414 cord replacement question
May 4, 2019 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gslf

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD414 from the 70es (measuring 2kOhm thus perfect for my OTL tube amp) that have developed a loose contact (Wackelkontakt) on the left channel cable.
As I have seen that replacement cables are still available (big thumbs up for Sennheiser) I tried looking up how to replace the cables and found no other directions than to pull.
Alas to no avail because the yellow and red what-looks-like-plugs won't budge. So I would be grateful for an authoritative answer, if the cables on first generation HD414s can be replaced at all, and if so, how.
Do I have to send them in to Sennheiser, or can I do it myself with a replacement cable?

Thank you in advance for your time and trouble
Michael

P.S. Hoping that @SennheiserUSA, who seems to be active on this forum, will see this and give me the authoritative answer I am hoping for.

May 5, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 3
I've owned three different versions of the HD414, and all of them had detachable cables.
However, you really do need to give them quite a strong pull, as close to the tip as possible as to not break the cable. It's not very easy, but it will come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back