$70~$80 Earphones for Pop and Classical music
Oct 7, 2011 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

csamantha11

New Head-Fier
Can anyone suggest earphones that are suitable for pop and classical music ("light" music in general) ?

I'm not very sure what kind of sound signature I'm after, but just not something where the bass overpowers the rest of the music. I'm not a critical listener so I don't want a signature that's cold and lifeless. Looking for something musical and comfortable to listen to that's <$60 for those 2 genres. Please give me some suggestions ! 

Thanks 
normal_smile .gif

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 17
It's a bit out of your budget ($79 @ Amazon) but do consider the Etymotic MC5.

Oct 7, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 17
the new brainwavz beta have a nice balanced sound to it. the achillies heel, so to speak, is the poor isolation; and crappy cable.
still, for $30 its a damn good pair.

PS: they have gone on sale before, so if you have time, wait for a coupon
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 17
Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I'll definitely look into them. One more thing to consider that I forgot to mention... my ears are very small so it's difficult to find IEM's that are comfortable and fit well. I also would prefer to have the volume control remote on it, just for convenience (but not necessary). With these in mind, are there any more out there? I can go over budget by a little :wink:

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 17
There's Etymotic MC3 which is just the same as the MC5 + remote control & mic. However the remote only works with Apple iDevices.

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #6 of 17
My experience with the Etymotic MC5 (and probably applies to the MC3), I get either very good sound and very uncomfortable fit (etymotic tri-flange tips and shure olives tip) or dull and lifeless sound and good comfort (shure silicon tips).

I'd recommend you stay away from them.

What headphones do you currently own and what do you intend to use as your music player?

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
My experience with the Etymotic MC5 (and probably applies to the MC3), I get either very good sound and very uncomfortable fit (etymotic tri-flange tips and shure olives tip) or dull and lifeless sound and good comfort (shure silicon tips).

What headphones do you currently own and what do you intend to use as your music player?

I have the a-jays four, westone 1 and UE600. With all of them, I use comply as they are the best fit for me. I use an iTouch. I really don't like tri or bi-flange tips because my ears are quite small and they're a terrible fit for me. 

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #8 of 17
It's funny cos I (and many others) found the Shure olives are some of the most comfortable tips ever made 
tongue.gif

I agree with you on the tri-flange though.

Quote:

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #10 of 17
JVC HAFXC51..micro HD drivers in these are awesome for music it does all genres perfectly and technical music like classical with an amazing amount of precision and detail. $25

The only issue on these is they absolutely require a minimum 80 hours of burn in. After however they are shockingly great.

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
JVC HAFXC51..micro HD drivers in these are awesome for music it does all genres perfectly and technical music like classical with an amazing amount of precision and detail. $25

The only issue on these is they absolutely require a minimum 80 hours of burn in. After however they are shockingly great.

Don't mean to sidetrack, but quite curious about these. Where are you seeing them for $25? 

Oct 10, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Don't mean to sidetrack, but quite curious about these. Where are you seeing them for $25?  

No that is how much they are new.. I know many don't mention cheaper alternatives around here. But You guys would be shocked as to just how great these sound..Katun did a review on his HAFX67 budget IEMs and how great those are. .I own those too but to me these are not only better in every way but they are exquisite..Many will over look something like this just because not many have them or tried them http://www.head-fi.org/t/553590/fx67-review-a-hidden-gem/120#post_7799148   look up this thread for more info on this one.. Astounding for $25 on amazon..Let me put it this way. I am not even remotely curious about more expensive IEMs.

Oct 11, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #14 of 17
The Brainwavz Beta would be very nice if you don't need isolation. They have a VERY GOOD sound stage which is very nice for classical and they are nicely balanced sonically speaking without being boring.

Oct 11, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
No that is how much they are new.. I know many don't mention cheaper alternatives around here. But You guys would be shocked as to just how great these sound..Katun did a review on his HAFX67 budget IEMs and how great those are. .I own those too but to me these are not only better in every way but they are exquisite..Many will over look something like this just because not many have them or tried them http://www.head-fi.org/t/553590/fx67-review-a-hidden-gem/120#post_7799148   look up this thread for more info on this one.. Astounding for $25 on amazon..Let me put it this way. I am not even remotely curious about more expensive IEMs.

That's quite interesting, think I might order a pair just for fun 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back