7/11/09 Los Angeles Mini Mega Meet Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #61 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crap man. I wanna go too. I just got rid of my old DAC and HD650 and got myself the Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC.
smily_headphones1.gif

If the ECD-1 dac sounds like their cd player (which I suspect), then you're in for a treat.
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #62 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the ECD-1 dac sounds like their cd player (which I suspect), then you're in for a treat.
wink.gif

It's supposedly "incorporates the same conversion technology as the upgraded EMC1 CD Player, obviously without the transport functionality". Hopefully, I'll have it by Sunday and you and Mike can come over to my place this time but you better bring your K1000 since I wanna see if the Phoenix can drive it.
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #64 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you try them balanced with the Phoenix, because they are much better balanced on it.

[size=small]I did balance the D7000's using Kingwa's 4 pin Neutrik XLR kit. I didn't try the 800's balanced because of my initial impressions, and the fact that they were the loudest open phones to the outside world I had ever tried.[/size]

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #65 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Johnmclean,

If you are not happy with your 840c/Balanced B22/HD800 combo, sell the 840c and get a RAM modded PS Audio DL3 and get a balanced V3 cable for your HD800 from APureSound. You will be blown away by this combo.

IPodPJ, the 840c has now been replaced by a Sabre32 DAC. If you ever get a chance to hear this DAC please do so. The system now has incredible resolution and resolve, it’s simply breathtaking. Now don’t say I didn’t tell you
tongue.gif
. I have an Stephan Art Equinox cable, just waiting on available connectors.

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #67 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
moonboy, please post your impressions of the ECD-1 when you've had a chance to listen. I have to say that I really love that DAC.

No problem.

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #68 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IPodPJ, the 840c has now been replaced by a Sabre32 DAC. If you ever get a chance to hear this DAC please do so. The system now has incredible resolution and resolve, it’s simply breathtaking. Now don’t say I didn’t tell you
tongue.gif
. I have an Stephan Art Equinox cable, just waiting on available connectors.

I would be very interested in listening to the Sabre if anyone in the LA area has one and would bring it to the next meet. I've been looking at it recently because the new chip looks promising, and the fact that it's being used in Headroom's new DAC and McIntosh's $5000 flagship CDP/DAC is encouraging. Plus the pricing is very reasonable for the amount of SQ it appears to offer.
I can't disagree with PJ that my Keces can't compete with his DL3, but I think the Sabre is likely a good step up from the DL3. Now the next comparison will need to be Sabre VS Ref1.

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #69 of 119
Jan,
I don't know if I can get someone to loan me the Buffalo32 but once I get the REF1 you are welcome to come over with your B22 and we can have another mini-showdown. Since Kingwa says XLR will only get 85% of the sound quality of CAST, I'm curious to hear it because that sounds like quite a significant amount.

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #70 of 119
Quote:

Some more impressions:

I'm hoping the Phoenix will up its performance when using the REF1 with CAST inputs. You should have seen people's reaction when I told them initially I thought the balanced B22 edged out the Phoenix. They said in astonishment, "You!?!??!? Oh no!!"

Also, there are other factors which may have played into this as well. First of all, both Dave and my noise harvesters were going crazy. There was tons of line noise in the meet room. Secondly, I had to keep disconnecting the Phoenix so it was never on straight for 3 - 4 hours which it needs to be in optimal conditions. So I gave the best assessment I could given the circumstances. If someone ever wanted to loan me a balanced B22, I could be a lot more thorough in the review.

I can say for certain (imo) that the Phoenix easily beat the quad-mono Rudistor RPX-100. That also had a DL3 hooked up to it, but not a modded DL3 like mine so I am taking that into consideration as well.

And surprisingly I enjoyed the Sony SA5000 whereas I hated the Qualia 010. Are they as good as the HD800? Not by a long shot but I liked the presentation they offered and I don't feel they have a closed in soundstage like others have mentioned, at least not with the Phoenix. The music sounds a little distant but it all seemed pretty well balanced to me, whereas others felt the tonality was way off.

The headphone that I hated the most at the meet was the Beyerdynamic DT48e. I have absolutely no idea how anyone could listen to this headphone for more than 2 seconds. The sound is godawful and is extremely closed in. Everything sounds so muffled and distorted. I really don't understand the appeal of these.

Another headphone that was interesting was the AKG K240. It didn't sound bad but it required more juice than any other headphone I've ever used. I literally had to turn the volume up on the Phoenix to two and half times past the point where it would blow the HD800 drivers. I have no idea what the sensitivity rating of the K240 is but I have no idea how most headphone amps could even drive these to any level other than very quiet.

So, no team DT48 for you
wink.gif
I totally disagree with you, but will save my rant for another time..
beerchug.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #72 of 119
Had a great time at the meet, and am glad I packed up the gear and made the trek. Next time I'll plan on doing the dinner afterward just to miss the traffic going home. Sheesh, it took an hour to get to LAX!

I didn't get around to testing the B22 vs the Phoenix. The main reason for this was, as was stated by several other members, that it was unfair to compare two amps that don't sound their best when cold. Who knows what will happen when both amps are at operating temperature? Might be that one or the other really outshines the other, or they end up sounding even more similar?

For the November meet we'll need to get both amps setup and run off of the same rig, give them time to come up to full temp and then compare how they sound. In the meantime maybe we can talk AtomikPi into loaning Phil his B22 for a week or so?? That way he could use his rather revealing system, and the help of his girlfriend's ears, to help get an accurate idea of how they both sound when operating at their full potential.

Major kudos to Phil for putting this all together, but also to n3erdling for bringing his stable of Stax cans for everyone to enjoy. It took him 3 trips from the table to the car to get everything to the meet, and then he had to set all that gear up for us to hear. It was great listening to the various Stax samplings from over the years. Man, those older models look goofy when they're on your head! It was also great to have Kyle from RAM there to answer some questions and give advice on some mods. I'm sending him my incoming CI Audio PSU for the Wadia so he can mod it, and later when the SuperClocks are back in stock the Wadia will have its clock cleaned so to speak.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #73 of 119
Quote:

Jan,
I don't know if I can get someone to loan me the Buffalo32 but once I get the REF1 you are welcome to come over with your B22 and we can have another mini-showdown. Since Kingwa says XLR will only get 85% of the sound quality of CAST, I'm curious to hear it because that sounds like quite a significant amount.

I have some balanced IC's on the way so I'll be able to compare back and forth and see what the differences are.Kingwa says 15% eh ? He also remarked that the difference between CAST and XLR input was like water vs coca cola. FWIW. I've been on diet of 100% water from the start so going back to coca cola should be obvious (or at least I hope so). I'll post those findings in the Phoenix thread.

Thanks for all the pics and commentary from you lucky attendees ! You put on a terrific meet PJ, be proud of that huge accomplishment !

BTW a Sabre 32 vs the RE1 showdown would be interesting to say the least
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 13, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #74 of 119
ECD-1: good choice!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crap man. I wanna go too. I just got rid of my old DAC and HD650 and got myself the Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #75 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ECD-1: good choice!
biggrin.gif

I'm totally buying blind.
tongue.gif

Have you heard of it? How did it compare to your Stello?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back