6SN7 Tube Addicts
Nov 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #2,806 of 7,413
Hello.
Someone met tube Sylvania 6SN7GT "Bad Boy" with yellow marking for base? Is very interesting to see her photo.

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #2,807 of 7,413
I have seen them with White or Green writing, but not with yellow.
It will be very interesting to see them.

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #2,808 of 7,413
They look Japanese made to me, JVBP=Joint Venture Business Partnership, means when 2, or more, companies have come together for one specific purpose. In this case, one company, Toshiba/Hitachi?, made tubes for Raytheon?

I sign for 3 black plates:)

THX
Quote:
On the other end of the spectrum, I just got a beautiful NOS/NIB quad of these Raytheon made, Selectron branded parallel grey ladder plate 6SN7GTB's - for $7 each!!!!
99A8B267-2184-4F3B-8A2E-897D377F24F6-803-0000012AC4BCBB91.jpg

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #2,810 of 7,413
I think you are referring to the mica, not the plate. People have said they sound different. I can't say that I have really experienced that, but most of mine are oval mica.

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #2,812 of 7,413
They look Japanese made to me, JVBP=Joint Venture Business Partnership, means when 2, or more, companies have come together for one specific purpose. In this case, one company, Toshiba/Hitachi?, made tubes for Raytheon?

I sign for 3 black plates:)

THX

Actually I was really thinking you were right, then I got another quad of the same tubes from the guy, and these have "JVBP USA" etched (not painted) in the glass. So they are Raytheon USA. The black plates all have "6SN7GTB USA" etched on the top of the bottle. Those are super nice!

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #2,813 of 7,413
Thanks Rob, but does this change the possibility of Raytheon + Toshiba JVBP much?, cos they look very alike Japanese Toshiba anyway, maybe Raytheon made them under Toshiba's licenes?
I have some Italian made tubes 6SN7GT ATES that were  RCA USA license and this is stated on tubes as well, but JVBP, I believe, was/is common code in Japan, however I may be wrong.

Any pics? THX

Quote:
Actually I was really thinking you were right, then I got another quad of the same tubes from the guy, and these have "JVBP USA" etched (not painted) in the glass. So they are Raytheon USA. The black plates all have "6SN7GTB USA" etched on the top of the bottle. Those are super nice!

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #2,814 of 7,413
Quote:
Can someone educate me on the difference between Tung Sol VT-231 with round plate and oval plate?  I know one is older revision but do they sound the same?

The round mica were made first then the oval mica and then the round mica again.

Quote:
I think you are referring to the mica, not the plate. People have said they sound different. I can't say that I have really experienced that, but most of mine are oval mica.

I too can't say for sure.
People say that oval mica sound best.
However I have found differences between steel and copper grid posts, the later sounds better to me in my system.

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #2,815 of 7,413
I'd be wary about supply & demand. Because there are fewer Round Mica versions, the pricing is higher. And those trying to move them will want to say they sound better. And they may or may not sound better! However...
wink_face.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #2,816 of 7,413
When you can get a $7 tube which sounds great what's the point of spending $$$?

I am using a cracked base Tung-Sol mouse ears and couldn't be happier.

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #2,818 of 7,413
Thanks Rob, but does this change the possibility of Raytheon + Toshiba JVBP much?, cos they look very alike Japanese Toshiba anyway, maybe Raytheon made them under Toshiba's licenes?
I have some Italian made tubes 6SN7GT ATES that were  RCA USA license and this is stated on tubes as well, but JVBP, I believe, was/is common code in Japan, however I may be wrong.

Any pics? THX

I will post some pics of the black plate soon.

My experience has been that if the country of manufacture is ETCHED in the glass, then it is almost certainly made there. If it is painted, on the glass or plate, it's much less certain, because it is well known that some tube sellers re-paint/silkscreen desirable logos onto tubes. Sometimes these are the tubes they say they are, with the logos re-silk-screened to increase resale value, and sometimes the silkscreen is put on a lesser tube, which is of course truly fraud.

But when etched in the glass...this is not possible to do later.

Also, Raytheon was making 6SN7's long before Toshiba. If anyone was licensing from anyone, it would have been Toshiba licensing the design from Raytheon and then Raytheon selling the tubes Toshiba made.

But as I said before, and as you are right to point out, my friend, it is hard to know. And also, at these prices, and given that the Japan 6SN7GBs seem to be pretty good sounding, I am really happy either way. It would be nice to know definitively, but I'm not sure I ever will :D

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #2,819 of 7,413
 Thanks Rob, here is some info I found, seems that Raytheon have had a long time relationship / ownership with / in Japan, at least folks mentioned this up here about other tubes to

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-383409.html

THX

Quote:
I will post some pics of the black plate soon.
My experience has been that if the country of manufacture is ETCHED in the glass, then it is almost certainly made there. If it is painted, on the glass or plate, it's much less certain, because it is well known that some tube sellers re-paint/silkscreen desirable logos onto tubes. Sometimes these are the tubes they say they are, with the logos re-silk-screened to increase resale value, and sometimes the silkscreen is put on a lesser tube, which is of course truly fraud.
But when etched in the glass...this is not possible to do later.
Also, Raytheon was making 6SN7's long before Toshiba. If anyone was licensing from anyone, it would have been Toshiba licensing the design from Raytheon and then Raytheon selling the tubes Toshiba made.
But as I said before, and as you are right to point out, my friend, it is hard to know. And also, at these prices, and given that the Japan 6SN7GBs seem to be pretty good sounding, I am really happy either way. It would be nice to know definitively, but I'm not sure I ever will
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #2,820 of 7,413
Rob I would have thought that if the plate is marked there is no way a vendor could remove the glass envelope to do the job.

I am thinking about the 30S30 and 33S29, amongst others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back