6SN7 Tube Addicts
Jul 6, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #2,431 of 7,413
Quote:

Stavros is wise to warn that the "Mullard" tube might be a rebranded Russian tube, although it might also be a rebranded US tube.  I have seen Mullard branded 6080 tubes which were clearly GE made.

I also agree, go for the Chatham
L3000.gif

Wise?

No Rob, just learned my lesson the hard way!

Jul 12, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #2,432 of 7,413
Nabbed myself a VT-231 KenRad blackglass to try out.  Maybe it needs to run for a while (though this tube doesn't test quite new) but I'm not hearing the big bass drive it is known for.  I'm getting a nice open and mellow sound from it right now.

Unfortunately, this makes yet another swing and a miss for me and 6SN7 that behave badly in my amp.  Super microphonic with a steady state moaning sound, much like one of the BGRP Tung Sols are.  Banging my fingers on the desk snaps it out of it for a second or two but it comes back.  My keyboard is sending it into varying fits as I type this.  Clearly Glenn's amp demands more from a 6SN7 than most do, making NOS tube hunting pretty frustrating.

edit:  scratch the "smooth" part.  The noise must be causing that.  During quieter moments the tube has a pretty reedy sounding treble that I can't say I care for.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #2,434 of 7,413
Quote:
Nabbed myself a VT-231 KenRad blackglass to try out.  Maybe it needs to run for a while (though this tube doesn't test quite new) but I'm not hearing the big bass drive it is known for.  I'm getting a nice open and mellow sound from it right now.

Unfortunately, this makes yet another swing and a miss for me and 6SN7 that behave badly in my amp.  Super microphonic with a steady state moaning sound, much like one of the BGRP Tung Sols are.  Banging my fingers on the desk snaps it out of it for a second or two but it comes back.  My keyboard is sending it into varying fits as I type this.  Clearly Glenn's amp demands more from a 6SN7 than most do, making NOS tube hunting pretty frustrating.

edit:  scratch the "smooth" part.  The noise must be causing that.  During quieter moments the tube has a pretty reedy sounding treble that I can't say I care for.

Sorry to hear about your run of luck.

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #2,435 of 7,413
I think I've been able to hear enough of the tube's own character through the noise to know I don't like it much.  The Ken Rad treble is not very good IMO.  It's grainy and has a sort of spotlight quality that makes most of the upper frequency range all sound like the same pitch and note.  I did think the midrange resolution was good and the big bass was coming it before I gave up and pulled the tube out of the amp.  I didn't pay a whole lot for it (the only reason I bought it really) but the increasing number of tubes in my box with issues has been starting to bother me I must confess.  Maybe it's my cue to quit buying them. 

At this point I've heard the majority of the tubes worth hearing anyway, excepting rare creatures like the B65 and ECC32 that are out of my price league.  I suspect the ECC32 would sound phenomenal in this amp but I will probably never know either way.

Probably my biggest surprise in all my 6SN7 rolling with the amp was finding how much I like the Brimar CV1988.  I really didn't care for it in the Woo at all.  It makes me want to track down an older Blackglass variety (mine is the clearglass with steel grid posts), but there are no deals to be found on those tubes anymore period.

Jul 13, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #2,436 of 7,413
Now having an amp that uses Power tubes, has slowed my roll for Drive tubes...and Rectifiers. I'm still adventurous but the additional possibilities could prove costly at this time. Learning to be content. For now.

But wait! I'll soon be receiving the 6SN7 Killas...all will be right inside the listening room. 
wink.gif
 Got an experimental rectifier headed this way being sent by our designer as well.

Jul 13, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #2,438 of 7,413
Quote:
Quote:
wink.gif
 Got an experimental rectifier headed this way being sent by our designer as well.

Oh, what is this?  Do tell, do tell.  Glenn found a rectifier he likes more than the 3DG4?

I'm not sure he has or hasn't but could be on to something with a new find. Remember how well his evaluation went with the '596?' 
biggrin.gif
 He sought a solution for dannie01 and went "Yard!" Score another run for the Woozies! With this new rec, he likely has his own initial impressions. And would like to see how it performs in the theater using one of his amps. 

But 
rolleyes.gif
, I already forgot the details...other than he's shipping it out West to me.

Jul 13, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #2,439 of 7,413
Quote:
I think I've been able to hear enough of the tube's own character through the noise to know I don't like it much.  The Ken Rad treble is not very good IMO.  It's grainy and has a sort of spotlight quality that makes most of the upper frequency range all sound like the same pitch and note.  I did think the midrange resolution was good and the big bass was coming it before I gave up and pulled the tube out of the amp.  I didn't pay a whole lot for it (the only reason I bought it really) but the increasing number of tubes in my box with issues has been starting to bother me I must confess.  Maybe it's my cue to quit buying them. 

At this point I've heard the majority of the tubes worth hearing anyway, excepting rare creatures like the B65 and ECC32 that are out of my price league.  I suspect the ECC32 would sound phenomenal in this amp but I will probably never know either way.

Probably my biggest surprise in all my 6SN7 rolling with the amp was finding how much I like the Brimar CV1988.  I really didn't care for it in the Woo at all.  It makes me want to track down an older Blackglass variety (mine is the clearglass with steel grid posts), but there are no deals to be found on those tubes anymore period.

Xcalibur i think you have answered your own question about the Ken Rad, in that i see that some one has asked about a 6SN7 National tube, now i on a personal note i have never liked the tube to the point where i would not buy that brand, how ever one day i tried the tube in a new amp and thought woo this is great, it was not the tube but just the amps i had tried that tube in had to find something that was a match to that tube.
I would all so if you can test the tubes grainy sound sounds like they are on there way out i no that 50 is a pass for most testers but i would bin them at that stage.

Jul 13, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #2,440 of 7,413
Redcat I agree, a lot has to do with the amp design, system synergy and tube condition.
I have found out that even similar tubes but of different batches can sound different.
However general characteristics are valid.

Jul 13, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #2,443 of 7,413
I'm looking at upgrading my stock EH tubes on my Cary pre. I've come across some Slyvania 6sn7GT tubes with yellow lettering and the Slyvania lightning bolt logo on its black base. No chrome on top but chrome flashing on the bottom third. T plates with three holes. I can't seem to find anything on these. Is anyone familiar with this tube type?

Jul 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #2,445 of 7,413
If the plates are at an angle to each other it's a GTB type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back