6SN7 Tube Addicts
Aug 4, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #7,021 of 7,413
I will provide you with some photos when time allows. I had heard of people re-flowing solder but replacing it is probably just my idea. I do not like leaving old solder that failed inside the pins. I removed the old solder with a Soldapullt.

https://www.all-spec.com/Product/DS...LgTpFwGkXCfud1H56TX-wKQChb-crtl0aAsfUEALw_wcB

Do not buy cheap lookalikes out of China!

I then use a sharp pick to place liquid rosin (flux) inside each pin, this will increase the cleaning process. I then re-solder using Kester 2 % silver solder that is .020 diameter. I keep my soldering iron on the outside edge of the pins to make clean up easier. After soldering I use a brass brush and tape head cleaner (no residue) to clean the pins.

Tube should be kept fairly parallel so you do not over fill, it is tilted up here to accept the flux and to show the process better.

The solder has flux in the center but I prefer extra cleaning. If any of this does not make sense I can look for more photos, just a drop of the liquid rosin flux (Kester again) is plenty.

Small diameter solder will go inside the pins better, otherwise you can have a lot or cleanup on the outside of the pins. The Kester solder is now repackaged by NTE.

Oh I also use a Panavise and a fume extractor when dealing with the head cleaner. Early on I would use a heat sink on each pin but found that was not necessary, but then I have done my share of soldering in the past.

830E4F84-F40D-491F-AC1B-0052372A17F5.jpeg

Thanks for the detailed explanation. This process is a bit different than I was expecting, but it all makes sense. I'm definitely going to need to practice on some of lower testing 6SN7 tubes to get a feel for this. I ordered 4 of the foton tubes, so perhaps once I get a feel for it I can make an improvement to those. I will definitely destroy a few tubes as I practice this...oh well.

Is the panavise the model 308? Or a different model?

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #7,022 of 7,413
Thanks for the detailed explanation. This process is a bit different than I was expecting, but it all makes sense. I'm definitely going to need to practice on some of lower testing 6SN7 tubes to get a feel for this. I ordered 4 of the foton tubes, so perhaps once I get a feel for it I can make an improvement to those. I will definitely destroy a few tubes as I practice this...oh well.

Is the panavise the model 308? Or a different model?
https://www.adafruit.com/product/24...fzfh1njEsFJ19jyT5J9KaviOu8HrI8yBoClo8QAvD_BwE

This is the model I use complete with metal base, you can get attachments for holding PC boards, a soldering iron, solder, and even wires. If you do not have enough dud tubes, go on Etsy, there are generally people on there selling them by the pound. I used such tubes for making headphone stands and got many working tubes lol. I then told him I liked the looks of black glass tubes better so I got a box of those including some more working tubes that are pretty pricey.

Oh and I generally reverse the jaws in that model panavise so I can hold tiny things, as it is set up the jaws will never close to more than an inch or so. Be sure and shop around.

https://usaknifemaker.com/350-model-panavise-multi-purpose-work-center.html

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #7,023 of 7,413
Aug 9, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #7,024 of 7,413
Aug 9, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #7,025 of 7,413
Found this on eBay. Pictures look like a legitimate ‘bad boy’ three hole bottom getter sylvania. I’ve ordered once from this seller and the tube was fine. $50 is a good price for these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-Vinta...637869?hash=item2aeeb79fed:g:gAUAAOSw8Z9fLcTb

I've noticed this seller for long time. He's got several accounts to sell tubes - greengirl613, thegeminigirl, fng2u, oceanview_hi...just name a few, and some of his accounts have negative reviews saying "selling used beat-up tubes as new NOS tubes". This seller is definitely NOT on my trusted seller list.

Most of his tubes are overpriced, this Bad Boy you pointed out is one of the few correctly priced ones, and it still depends on whether the test value is a make-up or real reading from his tester.

Caveat Emptor - Buyers Beware

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #7,026 of 7,413
I've noticed this seller for long time. He's got several accounts to sell tubes - greengirl613, thegeminigirl, fng2u...just name a few, and some of his accounts have negative reviews saying "selling used beat-up tubes as new NOS tubes". This seller is definitely NOT on my trusted seller list.

Most of his tubes are overpriced, this Bad Boy you pointed out is one of the few correctly priced ones, and it still depends on whether the test value is a make-up or real reading from his tester.

Caveat Emptor - Buyers Beware
Yes sir. I have seen several statements about false test results from the seller. If you have a tester you are ok, as they have a decent return policy.

Aug 11, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #7,028 of 7,413
One confirmed case is enough for me to exclude the seller from my trusted seller list. I won't take the risk at all. :)
That's smart, and I am in the same boat, as I don't have a tester.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #7,029 of 7,413
New to the thread and new to tube rolling really.

ZMF Atticus, RME ADI-2, Bottlhead Crack, Deyan adapter on the way. Stock power tube as well as a Tung-Sol 6080.

The RME is certainly neutral and has taken a little of the musicality and warmth away that I enjoy.

What am I looking for in a 6SN7 and where do I find it?

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #7,030 of 7,413

ZMF Atticus, RME ADI-2, Bottlhead Crack, Deyan adapter on the way. Stock power tube as well as a Tung-Sol 6080.

The RME is certainly neutral and has taken a little of the musicality and warmth away that I enjoy.

That is a bit like walking into a supermarket and asking for food, there are plenty of well loved 6sn7's and equivalents out there. Ebay can be a good place to look, personally I would start out with some grey glass RCA, black glass Ken-Rad VT-231's and even Sylvania VT-231's then you can always get into Russian tubes, Melz and Foton. There are plenty of those around as NOS but much of this depends on your budget.

If it is any consolation, that RME ADI-2 finished in the top five in a blind dac test my local audiophile group did, The other four dacs were double and quadruple the price and it finished higher than 15 other dacs tested. With proper modifications the Crack can sound pretty good and ZMF is certainly beloved in the headphone industry. Personally I had to design my own amp to get more tube sound and I did some semi serious mods to the Crack trying to achieve it lol.

My current favorites are Tung Sol 5998 power tubes along with 1963 Melz 1578's, that combo can run around $300 but some of the Foton 6sn7 equivalents from the fifties are quite nice for $20-$25. The 1958 seems to be the most readily available and once the pins are re-soldered It can be a very well balanced tube with very good bass.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #7,031 of 7,413

As I mentioned on the BHC thread, the Westinghouse Reliatron is a good cheap tube. Sylvania tubes are abundant and can be had for cheap (I've bought a couple of lots and found some gems there). The black glass national union and Ken Rad are great. There is an eBay seller (ibismachine) out of NC that I have purchased some lots of 5-6 6sn7 tubes from and usually 2 or 3 of them are great and the lot might have cost $50-$70.
Also, in regard to the Deyan adapter and the tube...I have found that I need to let the tube warm longer than the 12au7 before listening. Sometimes if I listen shortly after turning on my BHC I don't get the best sound. I don't know if that is a deficiency of my specific amp or a function of using the 6sn7 on the BHC, but I give it a few more minutes than the 12au7 before listening.

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #7,032 of 7,413

There are many very good 6SN7, as others have posted, but everyone has different ears and different gear. So I suggest you check out the following to help you figure which ones you would like to try:

The Reference 6SN7 Thread

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-reference-6sn7-thread.117677/

The 6SN7 Identification Guide

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-6sn7-identification-guide.209782/

Aug 14, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #7,033 of 7,413
Hi fellow tube addicts! So, I took the day of from work and decided to do a mini shootout with my TOTL 6SN7's. Here is today's lineup for a 6SN7 tube rolling adventure, with my BHC.
20200814_084517.jpg

I am gonna see if one of these above, can beat the synergy I have going on right now with this below.
20200710_060159.jpg

This is gonna be a fun day!:o2smile:

Happy Rolling my fellow 6SN7 addicts.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #7,034 of 7,413
Hi fellow tube addicts! So, I took the day of from work and decided to do a mini shootout with my TOTL 6SN7's. Here is today's lineup for a 6SN7 tube rolling adventure, with my BHC.
20200814_084517.jpg

I am gonna see if one of these above, can beat the synergy I have going on right now with this below.
20200710_060159.jpg

A very nice selection of tubes. You should have someone swap tubes for you without your seeing them, assign numbers to them, and have you rate them blind. Maybe with a cardboard box over them as you listen. This can eliminate you rating a tube high because of brand or cost and it can be a fun exercise. There are some nice Chesky recordings that are free that will let you evaluate seven or eight criteria as I recall. My group uses 25 but it is a long process lol. Holes in the top of the cardboard box are not a bad idea.

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #7,035 of 7,413

You took a whole day off from work just to listen to tubes?!?

You're my new hero. :grinning::grinning:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back