6SN7 Tube Addicts
Jul 21, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #6,856 of 7,413
Makes you wonder when GE really took over ... They messed up Ken Rad real good...
That tube definitely comes to mind, when talking about height, and I was actually going to say that. :wink: The earliest taller bottle version of the black glass KenRad is the best.

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #6,858 of 7,413
And the need to occupy less space in the equipment. Just like today, miniaturization has been an important engineering goal since the beginning.
Makes since, however I wonder how that affects the sound?

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #6,859 of 7,413
Makes since, however I wonder how that affects the sound?

Everything else being the same, just a shorter bottle, I'm not sure the size of the bottle has any affect on the sound. But it might. However, given that the 6SN7 was originally designed as an RF amplifier, the engineers likely never considered how design changes might affect audio response.

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #6,860 of 7,413
Everything else being the same, just a shorter bottle, I'm not sure the size of the bottle has any affect on the sound. But it might. However, given that the 6SN7 was originally designed as an RF amplifier, the engineers likely never considered how design changes might affect audio response.
I am thinking it might have some effect, as I almost always prefer a tall version to the short if there is both options.

Jul 21, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #6,862 of 7,413
Makes you wonder when GE really took over ... They messed up Ken Rad real good...
According to my Tube Lore book, GE purchased Ken-Rad in 1944. I believe I read some of the Ken-Rad tubes may have been marked GE for a short time.

Jul 21, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #6,863 of 7,413
Who know these war time parts would be used for music. Veazy
According to my Tube Lore book, GE purchased Ken-Rad in 1944. I believe I read some of the Ken-Rad tubes may have been marked GE for a short time.
I think Ken Rad (build) stayed intact till after 1950...when GE started changing things.. :frowning2:

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #6,865 of 7,413
Maybe you're confusing GE with GTE. I believe GTE purchased Sylvania LAMP / bulb division -- not vacuum tubes, IIRC.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #6,866 of 7,413
Jul 21, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #6,867 of 7,413
This is part of a blind 6sn7 tube test I am working on. I just need to locate the proper size internal sleeve of aluminum that will fit over the glass portion of the tube and then it is a done deal. Vented at the top and with that sleeve, glass height will not be recognizable as in this example. Very sturdy yet it can be cut away easily to remove the tube later on. Also extensions are used with all tubes so a glimpse of the original tube base is not seen. The heat shrink tubing requires 257 degrees F, 125 C to shrink. blind test.jpg

Jul 21, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #6,868 of 7,413
This is part of a blind 6sn7 tube test I am working on. I just need to locate the proper size internal sleeve of aluminum that will fit over the glass portion of the tube and then it is a done deal. Vented at the top and with that sleeve, glass height will not be recognizable as in this example. Very sturdy yet it can be cut away easily to remove the tube later on. Also extensions are used with all tubes so a glimpse of the original tube base is not seen. The heat shrink tubing requires 257 degrees F, 125 C to shrink.
Oh my..... 😳☺ (I'll let @Ripper2860 & @bcowen finish that 🤣)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back