6SN7 Tube Addicts
Dec 2, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #5,431 of 7,413
I don't think that my amp works with 12v version of 6sn7 .

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #5,433 of 7,413

Agree completely. I have a bunch from, I think, 1958. They are not the ultra-expensive ones with holes in the plate, but the proletariat flavor (like the ones in your pictures). And they sound great. I think NOS Soviet tubes are severely underrated.

I've tried many 6SN7s and i was over suprised by the sound of these Russian tubbies. In short, they're like Cognac, strong, impressive, addictive, sweet in the low-mid while carry an airy top-end. Bass is full-bodied, strong and melodious. 

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #5,434 of 7,413
  Has any one done the Listening tests between a smoke glass VT231 KEN RAD and a clear glass VT231 KEN-RAD ?
They should sound the same. The black cote was there so the germans could not see the lit up radio tubes.
thanks Rick

Yes I have and they sound alike, it is just style beyond that.  Black, grey , graphite etc. just look cool vs clear and I think you pay an unspoken  premium for them.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #5,435 of 7,413
In my amp, most old 6SN7 sound superb.....some better than others maybe....but all have sounded wonderful.

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #5,436 of 7,413
I have to share my enthusiasm for the 6SN7 tonight. I was trying a 6SN7 in my Ember.  I picked a treasured, old favorite of mine an early Sylvania GT that has a structure very near that of a W.  It is one beautiful sounding tube, it blew all the other stuff I have tried so far, out of the water!
These tubes are indeed civilian versions of the W simply referred to as a Sylvania 6SN7GT.  They were well before the bottom getter Syl. GT, (think Bad Boy.)  They are difficult to find, I bought this one about 10 years ago when I hadn't much of a collection of the 6SN7s. Little did I know that a serious tube addiction would pop up.  I have not found another top  getter true chrome dome GT. I have quite a few Ws and other bottom getter GTs I'll keep looking despite having an insane surplus of many other great 6SN7s.

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #5,437 of 7,413
Sylvania 6sn7w is the last star tube that I haven't. Price for a nib is delirious.

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #5,438 of 7,413

Quote:
Sylvania 6sn7w is the last star tube that I haven't. Price for a nib is delirious.

NOS/NIB tubes are typically very expensive, especially those most sought after. That said, I have picked up several of the small-bottle 6SN7W that measure new, or close to it, for around $50 each.

There are three versions of the Sylvania 6SN7W, small bottle with black base, tall bottle with black base and tall bottle with metal base. The metal base versions are the most sought after, but to my ears, I can detect no difference between the two tall-bottle versions. The small-bottle sounds very similar, however, I think the bass has better detail but a bit less slam than the tall bottles.

Also, it is not uncommon to find these tubes relabeled as Philco, Delco and so on.

Good luck!

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #5,439 of 7,413
Yes the NIB Ws are expensive but you can be more affordable if you are OK with short bottles and the non metal base.   In fact there are  other ways of getting the Ws performance and appearance if you look for certain  Sylvania early GTAs.  Just look for the heavy flashing/gettering and the 3 rivet T plates.  They aren't as fancy as regular Ws perhaps, the box is now irrelevant, and you can't sell them them as Ws but that is what they are structurally. So you can get to hear them and use them any way you want without the inherent  guilt of burning up a collectors item. 

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #5,440 of 7,413
  Yes the NIB Ws are expensive but you can be more affordable if you are OK with short bottles and the non metal base.   In fact there are  other ways of getting the Ws performance and appearance if you look for certain  Sylvania early GTAs.  Just look for the heavy flashing/gettering and the 3 rivet T plates.  They aren't as fancy as regular Ws perhaps, the box is now irrelevant, and you can't sell them them as Ws but that is what they are structurally. So you can get to hear them and use them any way you want without the inherent  guilt of burning up a collectors item. 

Construction-wise, the early small-bottle Sylvania 6SN7GT(A) chrome domes, manufactured in the late 1940's and early 1950's, with three-rivet T-plates, look to be identical to the small-bottle 6SN7W, manufactured in the mid-1940's, with the exception of the free-standing copper support rod. But to my ears, while they sound very similar, they are not identical. Of course, YMMV. :)

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #5,441 of 7,413
thanks a lot four your advices. I have to go hunting them. But since 4 months i'm so happy with Fivre 6SN7gt that i don't think to change, but my curiosity ...

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #5,442 of 7,413
one thing I've always wanted to know but we never clearly told me.

How many hours can work a NOS 6Sn7 when it's use as preamp. Not in theory (for example red base 5692=10 000hours) but in practice? Share me your experience please 
happy_face1.gif

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #5,443 of 7,413

Good question:
In practice I have never worn one out.  I usually rolled them around.  In some instances, in real life, I have gotten weak tubes already used up, teetering on failure or shorting. 
So back to theory then sorry , the 5692 supposedly 10,000hr. is that 2Xor 3X normal?  Most other pre-amp tubes last no more then 5,000 unless a special designation like the Mullard 10M  series, (another 10,000 hour tube). I am sure it must depend on what the tube is being used for/being .consumed by?  Even then  as a guess no less than 2,500 hrs.  but I am really  hoping someone who knows will jump in and correct me. I might ask on another forum if this doesn't yield much.

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #5,445 of 7,413
woo audio commented on that once they said between 3-5000 hours on average..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back