6SN7 Tube Addicts
Jul 26, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #5,281 of 7,413
The Project Solstice from Garage1217.com accepts both 6 & 12 volt tubes. From the website:

Tube rollers DREAM. Just like our other designs, Solstice can accept a vast qty of tubes. Solstice also features full Auto-Bias just like our Flagship amplifier - Project Ember! Drop a tube in and she will set things up quickly without having to fiddle with dialing in tube bias. The only thing you have to select is tube heater voltage when changing from 6v or 12v tubes which is a quick and painless process.

Note: You'll need their 8 to 9 pin adapter to use the 6SN7, etc.

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #5,282 of 7,413
The Project Solstice from Garage1217.com accepts both 6 & 12 volt tubes. From the website:

Tube rollers DREAM. Just like our other designs, Solstice can accept a vast qty of tubes. Solstice also features full Auto-Bias just like our Flagship amplifier - Project Ember! Drop a tube in and she will set things up quickly without having to fiddle with dialing in tube bias. The only thing you have to select is tube heater voltage when changing from 6v or 12v tubes which is a quick and painless process.

Note: You'll need their 8 to 9 pin adapter to use the 6SN7, etc.

with 2 adapter on top of one another the Ember will allow the experiencing of the 7193 tubes , superior to all my 6sn7 .... this is a fantastic amp....
L3000.gif

Jul 26, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #5,283 of 7,413

As someone who once blew up an amp, a long time ago, in a failed tube rolling experiment, I have to caution...

If you are not totally sure what you are doing, do NOT go trying whacked out tube substitutions. VERY rare is the amp where a 12SN7 can be safely subbed for a 6SN7. There are a few, but they are few and far between.

gibosi's amp has a 6.3-12.6-25.2 volt switch for the SN7 socket. And if it gets left on 12.6 or 25.2 and a 6.3 volt tube
gets put in it will current limit and not burn out the tube.

Great feature, Glenn....you think of everything  
smile.gif

Your amp will be the same but with 42EC4 rectifiers and Lundahl transformer

Thank you sir, is it in production 
smile.gif

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #5,284 of 7,413
NO. It most definitely does NOT.

Again, while a VERY few designs from people like Glenn have voltage switches that allow for this, the VAST majority of amps that use a 6SN7 cannot use a 12SN7, or 25SN7. I know that you tube veterans know this, but it worries me that some tube noob is going to halfway read this thread, think it's OK to sub a 12SN7 for a 6SN7 just because they both say SN7, and POOF.

For those who do not know/realize, the first digit of the U.S. Tube naming convention is the voltage. So a 6SN7 is 6 volts, the 12SN7 is 12 volts. Unless there is a specific design allowance for it, meaning a voltage switch, one cannot substitute tubes like this.

Thanks. Didn't think it would.

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #5,285 of 7,413
The more I listen to this Mullard ECC31, the more I like it. The only negative thing I can say about it is that it puts on a very pathetic light show.

The sound I am hearing conforms with the reviews I have read regarding the ECC32, very solid bass with substantial impact and detail, the mids are smooth with just a hint of lushness, and the highs are extended, with excellent detail and no trace of harshness. I took a bit of a chance buying this tube, but in the end, I am very pleased. :)

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #5,286 of 7,413
The more I listen to this Mullard ECC31, the more I like it. The only negative thing I can say about it is that it puts on a very pathetic light show.

The sound I am hearing conforms with the reviews I have read regarding the ECC32, very solid bass with substantial impact and detail, the mids are smooth with just a hint of lushness, and the highs are extended, with excellent detail and no trace of harshness. I took a bit of a chance buying this tube, but in the end, I am very pleased. :)

Awesome. Think I'll give them a try . How much have you found them to be going for?
Tia

Jul 27, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #5,287 of 7,413
Currently, for Mullard ECC31, all I see on eBay are "Buy It Now" listings, and most of them are asking around $100 a tube. However, I purchased mine in a regular auction and at the end, paid $125 for the pair. So it seems that if someone wants to try them now, it may be necessary to pay $100 a tube. If someone is willing to wait for them to come up in a regular eBay auction, probably quite a bit less.

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #5,288 of 7,413
Currently, for Mullard ECC31, all I see on eBay are "Buy It Now" listings, and most of them are asking around $100 a tube. However, I purchased mine in a regular auction and at the end, paid $125 for the pair. So it seems that if someone wants to try them now, it may be necessary to pay $100 a tube. If someone is willing to wait for them to come up in a regular eBay auction, probably quite a bit less.

Thanks I'll keep my eye out.

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #5,290 of 7,413
Your tube doesn't know whether it's in a guitar amp or a headphone amp :D

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #5,292 of 7,413
  Hello, does anybody here know if a 6SN7 tube that's labeled as a 'guitar tube' has the same voltage specs as a normal tube would - so it's not likely to blow up on my amp?

Thanks - photo below

That would be interesting. Then there might also be tubes for bass guitar, rhythm, lead . . :^) . . Hendrix liked the black plate 5751 in place of the 12AX7. He liked the control he could do with the distortion. But like Skylab stated, a tube doesn't know and a circuit is a circuit and if designed correctly, it will be the same basic electrical parameters in one or the other. I do have tubes I coddle though, just to keep them happy. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #5,295 of 7,413

That would be interesting. Then there might also be tubes for bass guitar, rhythm, lead . . :^) . . Hendrix liked the black plate 5751 in place of the 12AX7. He liked the control he could do with the distortion. But like Skylab stated, a tube doesn't know and a circuit is a circuit and if designed correctly, it will be the same basic electrical parameters in one or the other. I do have tubes I coddle though, just to keep them happy. 

I will try to calm your nerves tha 6SN7 you show an RCA 6SN7GT  grey glass will make very beautiful music for you.  They are sought by many 6SN7 enthusiasts for their "musicality" and can be used in any circuit design that calls for a 6SN7.  Stop worrying go ahead and try it.  You will probably  like it!

I would have thought that Hendrix would use a tube that distorts  but at a high level.  Therefore my guess for Hendrix would have been  the RCA 7025, IIRC.  That tube has a huigher mu and distorts easily when pushed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back