6SN7 Tube Addicts
Jun 6, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #4,951 of 7,413
  Bought a tall Raytheon 6SN7GTB from Minnesota. Made in Japan. Surprised me, but impressions from earlier in the thread are favourable.

And here is an earlier Hitachi 6SN7GTA with black plates and bottom D-getter. Apparently, in the 1950's, Raytheon licensed technology and outsourced much of their vacuum tube production to Hitachi, and these tubes were sold under the Raytheon, Hitachi, Hit-Ray and other brands. 

Jun 6, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #4,952 of 7,413
I have been very curious to try some new-production 6SN7, such as Psvane and the like, but given the many luke-warm reviews I have read, the prices have simply been too high just to try. Recently, I managed to purchase a nice pair of used Synergy HiFi / Create Audio 6SN7 quite inexpensively.

According to this review by 6moons, these tubes are manufactured for Synergy HiFi by Shuguang, However, they are not rebrands. Apparently, Shuguang will custom build vacuum tubes for others in minimum lots of 500. So Synergy provides Shuguang with their own propriety technology and materials and Shuguang builds them. Further, according to Synergy, this technology cannot be used in Shuguang's own brands.  

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/synergy/300B.html

Anyway, I popped one of them into my Glenn OTL. For the last week or so, I have been listening to a small-bottle Sylvania 6SN7W with a Mullard GZ32 and a pair of Bendix slotted graphite 6080WB. My first impression, it is not as warm as the Sylvania and perhaps less spacious. But as this impression is based on less than 30 minutes of casual listening,, I really can't say anything definitive at this time.

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #4,953 of 7,413
Has anyone here had a chance to hear these tubes? http://www.amazon.com/Tung-Sol-6SN7GTB-Preamp-Vacuum-Matched/dp/B007RGB3N8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1433652199&sr=8-3&keywords=6sn7+tube

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #4,954 of 7,413
Jun 7, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #4,956 of 7,413
  Oh really, what's wrong with them?

Dude...don't worry about what others like or dislike. Our ears are all different. He might hate that tube but you may love it.

If I listened to everyone on this site about which tubes rocked Vs which tubes sucked...I wouldn't have tried half the tubes I have.

I say roll away.

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #4,958 of 7,413
Dude...don't worry about what others like or dislike. Our ears are all different. He might hate that tube but you may love it.

If I listened to everyone on this site about which tubes rocked Vs which tubes sucked...I wouldn't have tried half the tubes I have.

I say roll away.

Yeah. Actually that is good advice. Roll away. No harm in trying.

It is not a well regarded tube tho and yes I have listened and the result was the rubbish bin (I didn't hold them high enough to give them storage space). Others might think differently.

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #4,959 of 7,413
Oh really, what's wrong with them?

From the Elise rolling guide: http://www.head-fi.org/t/765460/feliks-audio-elise-tube-rolling-guide-6sn7-6as7g-6080-5998/45#post_11637768

"Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB (Russian) - New production. Smooth, layered sound. What it lacks in overall transparency is made up by being very listenable for extended periods. Some would call it musical. I call it non-offensive."

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #4,960 of 7,413
According to this review by 6moons, these tubes are manufactured for Synergy HiFi by Shuguang, However, they are not rebrands. Apparently, Shuguang will custom build vacuum tubes for others in minimum lots of 500. So Synergy provides Shuguang with their own propriety technology and materials and Shuguang builds them. Further, according to Synergy, this technology cannot be used in Shuguang's own brands.

Who knows? The design is familiar, though: http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/shop_Other_brands_OEM_Tubes_Shuguang/6SN7GT_Shuguang_3864

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #4,961 of 7,413

Yes, it does. And on the same site, the construction of the 6SN7GT TAD Premium Selected also looks to be virtually the same....

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/shop_TAD_Premium_Tubes_TAD_Pre_Amp_Tubes_SELECTED/6SN7GT_TAD_Premium_Selected_808

And it also makes sense... Since Shuguang manufactures tubes for Synergy HiFi, and others I assume, they would attempt to use as many stock parts as possible: bottles, micas, bases, getter holders, heat radiators, plates and so forth. But for sure, who knows? Since I don't have one of these TAD or Shuguang lookalikes, I certainly don't...

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #4,962 of 7,413
  And it also makes sense... Since Shuguang manufactures tubes for Synergy HiFi, and others I assume, they would attempt to use as many stock parts as possible: bottles, micas, bases, getter holders, heat radiators, plates and so forth.

All true, which doesn't leave much room for Synergy's technology.

I'm just a tiny bit skeptical. 
smile.gif

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #4,963 of 7,413
edit: found the answer to my question

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #4,964 of 7,413

Users who are viewing this thread

Back