6SN7 Tube Addicts
Jul 28, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #4,156 of 7,413
So MOV B65's they are. Thanks guys. :)

And perhaps they were destined for the American market and someone figured it might be better if they were "Made in USA"? So they lied! lol  

This reminds me... I have a pair of Siemens EH90's, Blackburn production codes, stamped "Made in Germany". Another lie.... :)

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #4,159 of 7,413
Just wanted to say Hi!!

I found this thread last week and have started working my way through. Up to page 67 now and have already used everyone's insights towards picking up some nice 6sn7s. I have some TS Mickey Mouse Ears on the way.... Great price at $22!! Knew what to look for because of this thread :) I splurged on some real 1578s.... A bit more than $22!! And some other fun purchases on the way too. I'm having a great time, thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge.

Best,

Gordon
Ps - not yet an addict, but sure struck with the fever!!

Pps - hi Gibosi, good to see you here!!

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #4,160 of 7,413
The TS Mouse ears are nice tubes and you got them for a great price.
Let us know what you think of them and also the 1578's.

Happy Listening!!!!!!!

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #4,161 of 7,413
I have been listening to a Mullard ECC32 in my ECBA and have to say - WOW!

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #4,163 of 7,413
hey, guys.
long time listener, first time caller. 
biggrin.gif

the Peak/Volcano is my first 6sn7 amp.  and, i haven't had the amp too long.
so, i'm new to this terrific thread...

And I just wanted to report my findings with my Peak/Volcano.

I've rolled several 6sn7 types.  Including the ubiquitous Shuguang Treasure, the lovely Brimar CV1988, RCA gray glass, Ken Rad VT-231, etc.

And, oddly, my favorite tube of all i tried so far is the humble Sylvania 6sn7gtb chrome top, from the late 1950s.  

The sound is simply fantastic.
The tube has a very low noise floor, and produces a rich, dynamic, and holographic sound.
It easily competes with the Treasure for detail, but without the unwanted extra highs...

So, any of you experts want to tell me i'm off my rocker for prefering this simple tube, that can be found for $80 or thereabouts?
Am I nuts?

cheers!
beerchug.gif

the wuss 

I have a 1955 pair of Sylvania 6SN7GTBs in my amp right now. They were $37 and sound fantastic. They will be a hard to best reference standard for the others I have on the way...

G

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #4,164 of 7,413
Mystery tubes of the day:

I picked these up from eBay for $31. There was NO description of either except for '6SN7', and they 'test good'.... figured it was worth the mystery. Any ideas what they might be?
When I look at the original image from e-bay, enlarge it and 'imagine hard' I think I can see a CKR on the tube on the left. Gosh, I hope so!!!
Best,
G

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #4,167 of 7,413
Now for the 'bit of a mystery' tubes of the day:

I got these two off ebay for $25. I'm pretty sure the Magnavox is a National Union re-brand... thoughts?
Also, I have seen NUs with variable length graphite coats (as with the second NU in this pic). Is this a 'date' related process or just inherent variability?

Thx,

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back