6SN7 Tube Addicts
Jul 9, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #6,751 of 7,413

The one in your quote is way overpriced for sure...fng2u is a sucker, some stupid seller only slightly better than bangybang or manifee_audio

I think Wes bought the other one, slightly below NOS.

Jul 10, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #6,752 of 7,413
Hello guys

Great thread, Has anyone here had any experience with 6sn7gt made in Holland? Been eyeing some off that are branded Pope.
Would love to know some sound signatures of this tube. Cant find much information on the web about them.

Cheers

Jul 10, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #6,753 of 7,413
Not the one I bought, and yep tubes are expensive. They aren't making 1940's W tubes anymore, so I imagine they are gonna keep going up. I paid a premium and for me it is worth it. I can't really put a price on quality sound and the enjoyment I get from good tubes. If I have the money at the time, and I see a tube I have been wanting and it is a reputable seller selling it, well then I buy it and don't look back. Seems to be a reoccurring them with me lately, but life is short folks so enjoy good tubes and sound while you can. Of course you don't have to buy the most expensive tubes to get this enjoyment, but from what I have found there is a reason why some tubes cost more than others.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #6,754 of 7,413
This tube combo is legit!

Bendix 6080WB & Sylvania 6SN7W
20200710_060159.jpg

Happy rolling and listening! :o2smile:

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #6,755 of 7,413
My current 6SN7 tube rankings below. :o2smile:

1. Sylvania 6SN7W Metal Base
. . . All my other 6SN7's.

Jul 10, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #6,756 of 7,413
Hello guys

Great thread, Has anyone here had any experience with 6sn7gt made in Holland? Been eyeing some off that are branded Pope.
Would love to know some sound signatures of this tube. Cant find much information on the web about them.

Cheers

These 6SN7GT were manufactured in Eindhoven, Holland. Typically, the Philips production code is printed on the bottom of the base. The factory code for Eindhoven is "4". And the sound is similar to other common double triodes manufactured in Holland. For example the ECC40, which was manufactured in Eindhoven and Sittard. And later, the ECC88, E88CC, 6922, E188CC, 7308 and E80CC manufactured in Heerlen. I would characterize the Holland "sound" as being a bit brighter than Mullard, but not as bright as Valvo or Telefunken. To my ears, the main characteristic of the Holland "sound" is a lush, warm midrange, which tends to emphasize vocals.

I believe, but I am not sure, that this tube was also manufactured by Philips in Bruxelles, factory code = L. So if you want the Holland-made 6SN7GT, check for factory code = 4.

2020-07-10 12.34.07.jpg

2020-07-10 12.35.50.jpg

Jul 10, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #6,757 of 7,413
These 6SN7GT were manufactured in Eindhoven, Holland. Typically, the Philips production code is printed on the bottom of the base. The factory code for Eindhoven is "4". And the sound is similar to other common double triodes manufactured in Holland. For example the ECC40, which was manufactured in Eindhoven and Sittard. And later, the ECC88, E88CC, 6922, E188CC, 7308 and E80CC manufactured in Heerlen. I would characterize the Holland "sound" as being a bit brighter than Mullard, but not as bright as Valvo or Telefunken. To my ears, the main characteristic of the Holland "sound" is a lush, warm midrange, which tends to emphasize vocals.

I believe, but I am not sure, that this tube was also manufactured by Philips in Bruxelles, factory code = L. So if you want the Holland-made 6SN7GT, check for factory code = 4.

2020-07-10 12.34.07.jpg

2020-07-10 12.35.50.jpg
Thanks for the information, seems like they are pretty rare tubes as well. Wonder if the price of these tubes are more related to there rarity, then sounding amazing, or a mixture of both. Any way the tubes I was eyeing off sold last night, so the temptation of buying them has gone.:cold_sweat:

Does anyone have any recommendations on a nos 6sn7 that can deliver great transparency and have good bass, without sounding warm. I am using some 1940's sylvania vt-231 at the moment. They sound great in my system, but the bass is a little bit off.

Jul 10, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #6,758 of 7,413
Thanks for the information, seems like they are pretty rare tubes as well. Wonder if the price of these tubes are more related to there rarity, then sounding amazing, or a mixture of both. Any way the tubes I was eyeing off sold last night, so the temptation of buying them has gone.:cold_sweat:

Does anyone have any recommendations on a nos 6sn7 that can deliver great transparency and have good bass, without sounding warm. I am using some 1940's sylvania vt-231 at the moment. They sound great in my system, but the bass is a little bit off.
TungSol clear glass 6sn7gt's, with or without the mouse ears might get you there.

Jul 10, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #6,759 of 7,413

If you haven't yet, check out the 6SN7 reference thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/117677/the-reference-6sn7-thread

Jul 10, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #6,760 of 7,413
Not the one I bought, and yep tubes are expensive. They aren't making 1940's W tubes anymore, so I imagine they are gonna keep going up. I paid a premium and for me it is worth it. I can't really put a price on quality sound and the enjoyment I get from good tubes. If I have the money at the time, and I see a tube I have been wanting and it is a reputable seller selling it, well then I buy it and don't look back. Seems to be a reoccurring them with me lately, but life is short folks so enjoy good tubes and sound while you can. Of course you don't have to buy the most expensive tubes to get this enjoyment, but from what I have found there is a reason why some tubes cost more than others.
Sure. Same here when I pulled the triggers on those expensive tubes i.e. B65,ECC33, ECC35, WE422 .........

Enjoy!

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #6,765 of 7,413
Hi my name is Wes, and I am a tube addict, and a 6SN7 one at that. :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back