6SN7 Tube Addicts
Jun 10, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #6,526 of 7,413
Absolutely. The gta to me sound lean in comparison. Great width but no real magic. I will definitely keep an eye for those rebranded ones. Emerson is another I've found.
I almost forgot I had this tube to be honest, had to light this thing up and remember what the fuss was about. Wow.. S W E E T. V O C A L S. Found a few 1953 out there (ebay) but, nah, 52 and under. One seller had them (1953) for $200 a pair LMAO!! https://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Tubes/Sylvania/6SN7GT-Real-Chrome-Dome/NOS-PAIR/210809

Oh well, out.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #6,527 of 7,413
I run a Dennis Had power amp at times, @bcowen knows them pretty well and gifted me some caps so I could upgrade a bit.That is an SLA 70 Mark II on the bottom. I also have a borrowed Cary phono pre-amp that I hook up on occasion. Currently I am using a Schiit Freya + with the as well as a pre-amp out from one of my own designs.

Bill also gave me an entire set of tubes including some GE's for the Cary lol, there are some Tung Sols in there instead of those now but he meant well, sort of. One day I need to send the guy something as a thank you. Maybe five shares of GE stock. :ksc75smile:

Cary amp.jpg

Actually, I didn't mean "well," I meant those as a joke. I was rummaging through a tube bin one day, saw the tubes adjacent to the GE's gagging and had to get them out of there before the good tubes all developed vacuum leaks and interelement shorts, so naturally thought of you. :)

But since you mentioned it, swapping out rectifiers was my first ever tube-rolling experience. The SLA-70 (original version) was my very first tube amp and used a pair of 5AR4 rectifiers. I stopped by an electronic store (this was mid-90's) and asked if they had any tubes, and lo and behold picked up a dozen RCA 5AR4's for a song. Could not believe the difference in those over the Chinese Ruby's that came in the amp (huh? a rectifier just converts AC to DC, how can the brand make any difference??) Sadly, that was the genesis of a decades long addiction that just seems to get worse with age.

I never heard the Mk II version of the SLA-70. By the time that was introduced, I'd sweet talked Dennis out of a pair of 805 amps for a price I should be ashamed of...but wasn't. :)

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #6,528 of 7,413
Actually, I didn't mean "well," I meant those as a joke. I was rummaging through a tube bin one day, saw the tubes adjacent to the GE's gagging and had to get them out of there before the good tubes all developed vacuum leaks and interelement shorts, so naturally thought of you. :)

But since you mentioned it, swapping out rectifiers was my first ever tube-rolling experience. The SLA-70 (original version) was my very first tube amp and used a pair of 5AR4 rectifiers. I stopped by an electronic store (this was mid-90's) and asked if they had any tubes, and lo and behold picked up a dozen RCA 5AR4's for a song. Could not believe the difference in those over the Chinese Ruby's that came in the amp (huh? a rectifier just converts AC to DC, how can the brand make any difference??) Sadly, that was the genesis of a decades long addiction that just seems to get worse with age.

I never heard the Mk II version of the SLA-70. By the time that was introduced, I'd sweet talked Dennis out of a pair of 805 amps for a price I should be ashamed of...but wasn't. :)
Those amps hold up well, I know of several people with SLA-70's and they are still going strong after 25 years or so. I just recently changed electrolytics in a 20 year old Mark II that Dennis sold directly to a guy just out of college in Chicago as I recall.

So anyway, back to 6sn7's. I do like Sylvanias and have most all of the popular types, one of my current favorite listens are some very old Sylvania 6j5G's, single triode versions of the 6sn7. These have the Motorola brand on them. sylvaina 6j5's.jpg
I am listening in an amp I designed that allows me to plug in two different headphones at a time and adjust each channel separately, I can also get a pretty quick indication of tube gain with additional meters.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #6,529 of 7,413
Those amps hold up well, I know of several people with SLA-70's and they are still going strong after 25 years or so. I just recently changed electrolytics in a 20 year old Mark II that Dennis sold directly to a guy just out of college in Chicago as I recall.

So anyway, back to 6sn7's. I do like Sylvanias and have most all of the popular types, one of my current favorite listens are some very old 6j5's, single triode versions of the 6sn7. These have the Motorola brand on them.sylvaina 6j5's.jpg
I am listening in an amp I designed that allows me to plug in two different headphones at a time and adjust each channel separately, I can also get a pretty quick indication of tube gain with additional meters.

Those Motorolas look like they have round plates (but hard to tell for sure from the picture)?

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #6,530 of 7,413
Those Motorolas look like they have round plates (but hard to tell for sure from the picture)?
CAD5E50F-4892-4115-888E-D79496B91AD5.jpeg

Black, two hole ladder plates. I did not have them in front of me earlier, they have GM on them rather than Motorola. These are not the easiest tubes to find in a matched pair.sylvaina st round plate.jpg

I do own some Sylvania round plate ST's, here is an example of them. Listening to those right now with a Tung Sol 5998 power tube. Bass is excellent, mids and highs are pure Sylvania. Separation and sound stage are to die for. I had not heard these in an Incubus before so this is a treat. 6j5g's as well, same top mica but a perfectly round mica under the plate. You can find these branded Philco but good again finding a good matched pair is not so easy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-...057559?hash=item2aea365c57:g:E5UAAOSwRaFcw5FE

These look correct. But different micas, round plate. There is a second pair on Ebay that look similar.

This type of tube dates back to 1936 from what I have read. 6sn7's a few years later with registration in 1941.

Here is some decent info listing other variations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6SN7

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #6,531 of 7,413
CAD5E50F-4892-4115-888E-D79496B91AD5.jpeg

Black, two hole ladder plates. I did not have them in front of me earlier, they have GM on them rather than Motorola. These are not the easiest tubes to find in a matched pair.sylvaina st round plate.jpg

I do own some Sylvania round plate ST's, here is an example of them. Listening to those right now with a Tung Sol 5998 power tube. Bass is excellent, mids and highs are pure Sylvania. Separation and sound stage are to die for. I had not heard these in an Incubus before so this is a treat. 6j5g's as well, same top mica but a perfectly round mica under the plate. You can find these branded Philco but good again finding a good matched pair is not so easy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-...057559?hash=item2aea365c57:g:E5UAAOSwRaFcw5FE

These look correct. But different micas, round plate. There is a second pair on Ebay that look similar.

This type of tube dates back to 1936 from what I have read. 6sn7's a few years later with registration in 1941.

Here is some decent info listing other variations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6SN7

Sweet! Just received these beauties today. Not ST bottles obviously, but 1945 lightning logos with black round plates. Match up pretty nicely right at NOS GM levels, so I'm looking forward to giving them a listen.

Sylvania 6J5 1945.jpg

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #6,532 of 7,413
Well, not one to be left out ...

1944 Sylvania VT-94D (military) 6J5GT/Gs ...

6J5GT.jpgbox.jpg

Just waiting on an adapter. :unamused:

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #6,533 of 7,413
Well, not one to be left out ...

1944 Sylvania VT-94D (military) 6J5GT/Gs ...

6J5GT.jpgbox.jpg

Mine are a year newer. So they're not as old. And I'm pretty sure yours were made in China.

:) :) :)

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #6,535 of 7,413
Think I have the same ones, minus the adapter. Can @Deyan come to the rescue?

*Still* no adapter? Crap!

I just received a pair of tubes from Langrex (in the UK) that were shipped 10 days ago. And a stash of Fotons that was shipped on April 10th is still conspicuous by its absence. Left Russia customs on April 21. Must have been sent by boat, and the boat sunk. Or the captain got North and South America mixed up. :frowning2:

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #6,536 of 7,413
Think I have the same ones, minus the adapter. Can @Deyan come to the rescue?

I'm still waiting on my 2x 6J5GT to 6SN7 adapter from Deyan. COVID has shut-down air parcel shipments to the US from his country, so he's hanging onto mine until he can ship. My Covid-related annoyances/impact is minor in scale compared to many others, so I'm not complaining. I just keep counting my blessings.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #6,537 of 7,413
I'm still waiting on my 2x 6J5GT to 6SN7 adapter from Deyan. COVID has shut-down air parcel shipments to the US from his country, so he's hanging onto mine until he can ship. My Covid-related annoyances/impact is minor in scale compared to many others, so I'm not complaining. I just keep counting my blessings.
I have a shipment coming through Moscow that will get to me this week, total ship time three weeks.

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #6,538 of 7,413
Good to know, sounds like I'd have better luck just waiting on this adapter from China.

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #6,539 of 7,413
I have a shipment coming through Moscow that will get to me this week, total ship time three weeks.

There's a saying for that. Can't remember it verbatim, but it has something to do with salt and wounds. :)

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #6,540 of 7,413
There's a saying for that. Can't remember it verbatim, but it has something to do with salt and wounds. :)
Lol you just have to understand how bribes work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back