6SN7 Tube Addicts
Mar 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #3,301 of 7,413
It's sure going to be fun!

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #3,302 of 7,413
Quote:
Stavros, you should hop on an airplane and meet us in Chicago for the Axpona audio show.

I've been to Chicago once and I like it a lot.
I have friends and relatives.

I wish I could come and meet you all and then fly down to NC to meet Glenn!

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #3,303 of 7,413
Sell a couple tubes you know you will never use.  That'll cover the air fare.  We'll pay for the rest.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #3,304 of 7,413
Quote:
Yup, I had an amp (Wheatfield Audio) arc a 5998 output tube, and it blew the drivers in my DT990.  Good thing they were not on my head at the time, or my hearing would have been permanently damaged as well. It's not to be messed with.

5998 are scary when they malfunction.  After my naughty 5998 blew up my K701s I took the pad off to look at the driver.  It was literally stuffed into the plastic guard slits of the enclosure the way a hurricane would stuff tree branches through the slits of a fence.  If I had been wearing them at the time I probably would have a blown eardrum.

It makes me cringe.  Still, every time I listen to something solid state in my apartment I'm reminded why it is all worth it.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #3,305 of 7,413
Quote:
Sell a couple tubes you know you will never use.  That'll cover the air fare.  We'll pay for the rest.

Thanks David.
You are very kind David and I do appreciate it.
I am tied up to a project until summer and can't get any time off I am afraid.

I'll be thinking about you all, I hope you'll post some pics, comments, etc.
People photos as well not just gear!

A pair of my 33S30 would cover most of the costs.................and I would still have 2 pairs left.

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #3,306 of 7,413
Quote:
Quote:
Yup, I had an amp (Wheatfield Audio) arc a 5998 output tube, and it blew the drivers in my DT990.  Good thing they were not on my head at the time, or my hearing would have been permanently damaged as well. It's not to be messed with.

5998 are scary when they malfunction.  After my naughty 5998 blew up my K701s I took the pad off to look at the driver.  It was literally stuffed into the plastic guard slits of the enclosure the way a hurricane would stuff tree branches through the slits of a fence.  If I had been wearing them at the time I probably would have a blown eardrum.

It makes me cringe.  Still, every time I listen to something solid state in my apartment I'm reminded why it is all worth it.

eek.gif

ph34r.gif
 I'm scared...silently, so. But I'm goin' in for more sessions anyway! 
normal_smile .gif

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #3,307 of 7,413
Of all the tube amps I have either owned or reviewed, only two of them arced - the Wheatfield, and the Decware CSP-2. In the case of the CSP-2, arcing 6DJ8's was a bummer, but not enough to damage headphones or ears, and it was cured with a different rectifier tube.  What both those amps had in common was a designer that encouraged VAST tube rolling options.  There were certain combinations which led to misbehavior.  I've never had arcing in any amp where the rolling was limited to different brands of the same tube type.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #3,308 of 7,413
Indeed, if my next amp goes as planned there will be no tube rolling options whatsoever aside from picking a particular brand of rectifier or output tube.  The rectifier, driver and output tube types will be singular with no substitutes aside from being able to run a 2A3 in place of a 45.

Tube rolling is fun, but the big box of tubes that just sits kind of bothers me after one finds their idea combination.  Might as well set the amp up for that ideal combination from the beginning and skip all the unnecessary tube buying right?

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #3,309 of 7,413
Quote:

Hey skylab,
maybe a bit offtopic..but could u pls reply me on my questions regarding the blue circle headphone amp u once owned..am interested to buy one also..i sent u a pm a few days ago..thanks! 

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #3,311 of 7,413
Quote:
Indeed, if my next amp goes as planned there will be no tube rolling options whatsoever aside from picking a particular brand of rectifier or output tube.  The rectifier, driver and output tube types will be singular with no substitutes aside from being able to run a 2A3 in place of a 45.

Tube rolling is fun, but the big box of tubes that just sits kind of bothers me after one finds their idea combination.  Might as well set the amp up for that ideal combination from the beginning and skip all the unnecessary tube buying right?

I like this commitment.

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #3,312 of 7,413
xcalibur it will take some tube rolling to find the ideal combination.

There is a variety of 45's in ST and Globe shape as well as a few different 2A3's.

It'll be a lot more expensive than rolling 6SN7's and 6AS7G's, so be prepared.

There is no end to tube rolling.

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #3,313 of 7,413
I picked up a few 45 STs a long time ago, and I consider myself set.  There really is no such thing as a bad sounding 45 tube after all. 
biggrin.gif
  I'm pretty well done with buying tubes, it feels good to actually be able to save a little bit here and there.  I was spending all my free money on new tubes for a while, and now I regret it.  I like the fact that this new amp will have a single driver choice and a single rectifier choice, the temptation will not be there.

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #3,314 of 7,413
Stavros, thanks for suggesting the Fivre 6sn7gt a while back in the thread.  Just got a black and brown base and trying the black base first.  Its a wonderful tube to hear.
Very nice presentation of the music and its got very good mids.  One particular attribute I like about this tube is somehow it has a slightly mellower sound and thus I hear a
longer decay with my W3000ANV.  It is not muddy or too tubby.  It just that compared to let say the Sylvania 6sn7w metal base.  The Fivre sounds slower and mellower.  
Not as clean sounding as the 6sn7w but very good indeed.  Its definitely a keeper.

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #3,315 of 7,413
Is there a good source for fivre 6sn7? I was looking for some and cant even find 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back