6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes
May 6, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #781 of 1,004
I understand your contention about the pentastar, although this site says otherwise:
http://www.ominous-valve.com/russtube.html .

I would expect tubes that appear to be from the same year to have the same style date coder or similar if from the same manufacturer.

Take it EZ,
Robert

That site covers brand logos - as you can see there, the Orel logo which you have on one of yours. What I'm trying to explain is that the pentastar isn't a brand related logo. I have Oktyabr 6n3p, Voskhod 6n23p, and various Reflektor tubes that all have that logo. It's a military logo, on tubes denoted for military use. It's not brand specific.

As for similar markings in the same year, I have Refketors and Oktyabr from the same year, and they have different size logos, and different size and font date codes, with different placement. Some have a military symbol, some don't.

Here's a few examples of the universal russian star logo for military being on various different brands. As you can see, all three brands use that military logo:

Voskhod tubes:
spd_20091210151827_b.jpg

Oktyabr:

il_340x270.1035631972_jiig.jpg

Reflektor:

2-pcs-or-more-6N23P-E88CC.jpg

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #782 of 1,004
That site covers brand logos - as you can see there, the Orel logo which you have on one of yours. What I'm trying to explain is that the pentastar isn't a brand related logo. I have Oktyabr 6n3p, Voskhod 6n23p, and various Reflektor tubes that all have that logo. It's a military logo, on tubes denoted for military use. It's not brand specific.

As for similar markings in the same year, I have Refketors and Oktyabr from the same year, and they have different size logos, and different size and font date codes, with different placement. Some have a military symbol, some don't.

Here's a few examples of the universal russian star logo for military being on various different brands. As you can see, all three brands use that military logo:

Voskhod tubes:
spd_20091210151827_b.jpg

Oktyabr:

il_340x270.1035631972_jiig.jpg

Reflektor:

2-pcs-or-more-6N23P-E88CC.jpg

Yes, but they do show the pentastar as representing Novosibirsk.

I am not as dumb as I look:)

May 8, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #783 of 1,004
What tubes did you buy?

They are Audio Research Corporation ECC88, with gold grid. Of course they are made by someone else. AC says they look and sound like the Teslas.

They are significantly more detailed than the Schiit cheapies, including midrange and lower overtones. Currently still a bit hard in the mids as in middle key piano. Hopefully that will get better as the Schiit cheapies did. They also have more of everything else, dynamics, bass, and upper highs with clarity. Yet they are not harsh. Its like when I went from a cheaper cartridge to a Lyra Kleos, except for the hardness in the mids, the Kleos definitely does not have that.

I was concerned at first as the post office folks crushed the box somewhat.

I received my Philips ECC88's (supposedly Herleens) today from an Italian seller. Burning them in as I write this. Surprisingly similar to the ARCs except for apparently less energy in the highs and softer middle key piano. This after only a few minutes in the Valhalla2. As I listen to Jazz At The Pawnshop via Tidal and my Dragonfly Red feeding HD700s they don't appear to have as much high frequency clarity as the ARCs but I will give them time. Perhaps overall a bit more polite than the ARCs.

Y'all be cool,
Robert

May 8, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #784 of 1,004
Yes, but they do show the pentastar as representing Novosibirsk.

I am not as dumb as I look:)
Novosibirsk logo is a hollow/empty pentagon. Not to be confused with the universal USSR logo.

I was trying to help you identify your tube, not debate the finer points of logo identification. I’ve spent the last year plus studying Russian 6n23p, 6n3p, and their variants, and the various manufacturers.

May 8, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #785 of 1,004
Novosibirsk logo is a hollow/empty pentagon. Not to be confused with the universal USSR logo.

I was trying to help you identify your tube, not debate the finer points of logo identification. I’ve spent the last year plus studying Russian 6n23p, 6n3p, and their variants, and the various manufacturers.

Ah, thanks for the correction. I did not realize the distinction. I don't doubt you know more. I wasn't debating, I was merely pointing out what I saw. That's part of how one learns.

I appreciate the help. As you probably realize, knowledge is important with so many scammers in the tube business.

Let me know if you get a good pair of mid 70's rockets as I want to try them again.

Take it EZ,
Robert

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #786 of 1,004
Just recieved a pair of Amperex 6922 USA PQ D getters first impressions dynamic and crispy clear. I also have some telefunken E88cc coming this week. I Admit I am a tube fien. Addicted and I won't quit. That is until the wife realizes how much these little glass tubes cost.

Jul 23, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #789 of 1,004
I would have been interested to see a comparison review with authentic Mullard 2492 and how they scale compared to the other ones mentionned. I recall I liked the sound of the Mullard E88CC 10M series a lot (or was it ECC88). They are on a whole different level in terms of soundstage, sweetness and musicality. A unique experience. I had to return them because one tube was weaker than the other. Other than that, the sound was fabulous and it would have been one of my top choices. I never tested the cv2492 or 2493. Also, if anyone know of cheaper alternative to get that sound please let me know. The 10m goes for a pretty penny, especially matched pair.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #793 of 1,004
Do they have an upside down flying saucer getter? If they do they are Russian tubes.

Yes They have the upside down flying saucer getter. I agree I think they are Russian tubes. Is it possible that the Zaerix tubes are re-branded 6N23P's as they are drop in replacements ( at least in my amp ) I wonder who actually made the Zaerix Reflektor, Voskhod etc.

Thanks
Bob

Jun 7, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #794 of 1,004
Question:

I have 4 Reflektor 6N23P SWGP '75 tubes I purchased on Ebay, they were fairly expensive, but the Ukraine seller seems pretty legit and had measurement data. I swapped them into my amp last night and the balance seems off, in that the left channel seemed stronger than the right, shifting the soundstage to the left. It is pretty noticeable.

I've done a bit of tube rolling over the years, but I have yet to experience tube failure because I rotate tubes fairly often. I am sending the tubes off for testing, but in the meantime, do you think my issue may relate to one or more of the tubes going bad?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back