6922 Tube Review - 17 Top 6922 6N23P E88CC CCa 7308 E188CC tubes
Apr 19, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #151 of 1,003
  Hi MWSVette
 I got the 62/63's- the others were N/A. They sound quite good-better now that I've been running them 100+ hours. Leaps and bounds better than the stock GE's.

I knew one of the sets was a loaner for the shoot-out, forgot which set.

I imagine there is a big improvement in SQ.  You've gone from valley to mountain top in one jump.  Congrats...

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #152 of 1,003

I knew one of the sets was a loaner for the shoot-out, forgot which set.

I imagine there is a big improvement in SQ.  You've gone from valley to mountain top in one jump.  Congrats...

Thanks! The Reflektor Silver Shield SWPG 74's are very good as well! As you know, I'm an unintentional Tube fan-via Amazon's mistake.
Sometimes mistakes have happy consequences! Luckily there were people like Rob around when I did leap into the Tubular Zone. 
I still have hopes some new production tube makers will "get it right."

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #153 of 1,003
  Thanks! The Reflektor Silver Shield SWPG 74's are very good as well! As you know, I'm an unintentional Tube fan-via Amazon's mistake.
Sometimes mistakes have happy consequences! Luckily there were people like Rob around when I did leap into the Tubular Zone. 

Yes I agree as I have the 74's as well and of course those led me to the HG's.  And yes Rob has helped me a too and at a time when I knew nothing tubes.  Not to say I know that much now, lol...

Now of course I really want a nice set of CCa's.  Upgraditis is a dangerous disease.

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #154 of 1,003

I`m still wondering if they could make CCa replicas if proper laboratory analysis would be made about material consistency etc. to one of the best CCa`s? Why... WHY NOT? 
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #155 of 1,003
I`m still wondering if they could make CCa replicas if proper laboratory analysis would be made about material consistency etc. to one of the best CCa`s? Why... WHY NOT? :p

You'd think! They need to hire CSI:LV! They'd have an answer in under an hour!

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #156 of 1,003
rb2013,

The amount of effort that has gone into making this review possible is simply mind-boggling.

I would not be surprised if you emerged from this ordeal somewhat...diminished, at least temporarily.

I once attempted to compare a combination of about half a dozen pairs of headphones, a dozen amps and a dozen different cables. I took me neartly a year and I was never quite the same afterwards. But to do what you did in one session is beyond my comprehension.

Thank you for this Herculean effort.

Apr 23, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #157 of 1,003
Thank you for this comprehensive review!

I found a pair of the Amperex USN-CEP 7308 White '65 at tubeworldexpress, however I wonder if they take time to burn in. Because even after 20 hours I still think the sound is closed in and the treble is harsh (harsher than stock Valhalla 2). The bass is great, but I think the stock tubes still sound much more open than the 7308. Which doesn't match the description I read various places of the Amperex 7308. 

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #158 of 1,003
I bought a pair around the same timeframe. I dont remember NOS USN-CEPs available at that time. if they were used, then wouldnt they most likely be burned in already?

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #159 of 1,003
http://www.upscaleaudio.com  (matsu****a-national-pcc88-7dj8) Matsu****a / National PCC88 / 7DJ8

Are PCC88 / 7DJ8 tube compatible with Schiit amps? I have the Valhalla 2 amp, if I roll the 6N1P dual triode input tube with (6922 / 6DJ8 / 7308 / PCC88) is the difference appreciable? I don't want to spend my hard earned cashed on an unnecessary and incompatible upgrade, the stock 6N1P tubes under my magnifier appear to have gold grids.

It would be nice if team Schiit would shed some light on tube swapping, like a tube rolling chart something. I'm sure that everybody has noticed by now that vintage tubes are not cheap, it would be nice if Schiit would chime in on this because the cost of better tubes is eating into my buy more Schiit budget.

I'm sorry I got lost in the mix, the tube info is here, maybe its the format or something, when things get wordy my mind wanders, I'm looking for something dumbed down like this link  https://www.tubedepot.com/tube-comparison-tool the tube comparison from Tube Depot only more specifically charted to Schiit amps. 

Brent Jessee tubes http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm   6922 JJ Gold Pin, "New Stock original box. A very decent current production 6922 from the Slovak Republic, carefully tested and matched by us. These have gold pins and are among the best of the current production 6922 tubes. TOP SECRET: These are made in the same factory that makes the tubes for EAT, which are much more costly! Singles are $40 each, MATCHED PAIRS JUST $80.00 PER PAIR! These come the closest to the NOS European sound, and at a great price!"

Furthermore, 6DJ8 Matsu****a Japan (Mullard) factory made, "1970s vintage New Old Stock white box. Nice Japan made 6DJ8 tubes from a factory that was set up by Mullard, and these tubes have similar sonics to Mullard. Most are made for Amperex, some for RCA or National. MATCHED PAIRS JUST $50.00 PER PAIR! Better than any Russian or Chinese junk, and at a great price!"

"When it comes to warmth, no other tube can top this jewel from the British crown. Silky highs, a liquid midrange, and awesome deep bass give this tube its deserved reputation for warmth and full sonics." Mullard

Cca Philips Holland made for Valvo (ultra premium 6DJ8/6922) "The Cca is one of the "Holy Grail" tubes in the 6922/7308 family, and probably the best audiophile 6DJ8 type ever made, at any time. They were originally made for the German Government for use in telecommunications where low noise and long life were critical."

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #160 of 1,003
You can read "TOP SECRET... Better than any... Holy Grail... Probably the best ever made" etc. kind of sayings about many different tubes. This hyping of certain tubes may guide You with direction where to go and what kind of sounding NOS tubes to hunt but at the end it is very subjective and doesn`t include gear matching with particular tube sound and isn`t definite answer to what tube to get for "best sound". I know, been on that road with my Aune T1. My recommendation is to follow recommendations from many ppl about same tube and similar or same gear to Yours. I have some real gems in my collection which are also "secret" ...they sound basically same as my top choice and most expensive tubes but are from totally different family of tubes. While I`m not familiar with Schiit amp Your`e talking about, search for compatible/similar specification tubes and also tube family-changing adapters come handy, You may find some real gems with dirt cheap price. About PCC88/7DJ8 - they should be ok replacement to 6DJ8/6922, they just have higher heater voltage and in most cases they still work without problems because even within 6DJ8/6922 family heater voltage/mA tolerance/difference is quite big and doesn`t apply to stated standard values. There was one experienced radio-tube guy who made measurement tests about it, I think it was on UK radiomuseum forum but not sure, don`t remember anymore. Though, some of 7DJ8/PCC88 tubes might sound distorted because under-voltage heater plate but I`ve only run into 2 of them out of many so far (remembered wrong - it was about PCC189, all PCC88 I have work without problems). But the findings paid off BIG. Also found some tubes within PCC189/7ES8 family that sound close to best out of my Holland tubes (69` GAC coded Heerlen Holland Orange Globe logo single leg dimpled disc getter for example, quite hard to get these days and better than white/orange PQ logo 6DJ8, imo).
PCC189/7ES8 and ECC189/6ES8 family are really worth to check out, more chances to discover real gems than within PCC88/7DJ8 family imo. Also, 6BQ7(A) family might get You into "wonderland", I have 2 green label GE 6BQ7A`s with glow wire under getter that sound also very close to my best Heerlen tubes. There are more examples... just do some research about what tube is possible to roll.
I haven`t got much russian tubes and can`t talk much along about these but I think the best I have is Voskhod 6H1N-EB with double wire support "cup-disc" getter, exposed heaters, small rocket logo.

IMO
wink.gif

Forgot to mention... also check out this page: http://www.tubedata.info 

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #161 of 1,003
Don't believe all the tube hype my friend. I've rolled the "best" , and at the end of the day , my measly $125 1965 Amperex Holland Dumonts , won out.
Synergy is key imo.
There's some really great tubes that can be had in the 7308 and E188CC family, for much less than the "best".
Comes down to preference , whether you like a warmer , or colder sound sig.

Cheers

[COLOR=000000]http://www.upscaleaudio.com  (matsu****a-national-pcc88-7dj8)[/COLOR] Matsu****a / National PCC88 / 7DJ8

[COLOR=000000]Are PCC88 / 7DJ8 tube compatible with Schiit amps? I have the Valhalla 2 amp, if I roll the 6N1P dual triode input tube with (6922 / 6DJ8 / 7308 / PCC88) is the difference appreciable? I don't want to spend my hard earned cashed on an unnecessary and incompatible upgrade, the stock 6N1P tubes under my magnifier appear to have gold grids.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]It would be nice if team Schiit would shed some light on tube swapping, like a tube rolling chart something. I'm sure that everybody has noticed by now that vintage tubes are not cheap, it would be nice if Schiit would chime in on this because the cost of better tubes is eating into my buy more Schiit budget.[/COLOR]

I'm sorry I got lost in the mix, the tube info is here, maybe its the format or something, when things get wordy my mind wanders, I'm looking for something dumbed down like this link  https://www.tubedepot.com/tube-comparison-tool the tube comparison from Tube Depot only more specifically charted to Schiit amps. 

Brent Jessee tubes http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm   6922 JJ Gold Pin, "New Stock original box. A very decent current production 6922 from the Slovak Republic, carefully tested and matched by us. These have gold pins and are among the best of the current production 6922 tubes. TOP SECRET: These are made in the same factory that makes the tubes for EAT, which are much more costly! Singles are $40 each, MATCHED PAIRS JUST $80.00 PER PAIR! These come the closest to the NOS European sound, and at a great price!"

Furthermore, 6DJ8 Matsu****a Japan (Mullard) factory made, "1970s vintage New Old Stock white box. Nice Japan made 6DJ8 tubes from a factory that was set up by Mullard, and these tubes have similar sonics to Mullard. Most are made for Amperex, some for RCA or National. MATCHED PAIRS JUST $50.00 PER PAIR! Better than any Russian or Chinese junk, and at a great price!"

"When it comes to warmth, no other tube can top this jewel from the British crown. Silky highs, a liquid midrange, and awesome deep bass give this tube its deserved reputation for warmth and full sonics." Mullard

Cca Philips Holland made for Valvo (ultra premium 6DJ8/6922) "The Cca is one of the "Holy Grail" tubes in the 6922/7308 family, and probably the best audiophile 6DJ8 type ever made, at any time. They were originally made for the German Government for use in telecommunications where low noise and long life were critical."
[COLOR=8F8F8F]    [/COLOR]  

Apr 26, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #162 of 1,003
Don't believe all the tube hype my friend. I've rolled the "best" , and at the end of the day , my measly $125 1965 Amperex Holland Dumonts , won out.
Synergy is key imo.
There's some really great tubes that can be had in the 7308 and E188CC family, for much less than the "best".
Comes down to preference , whether you like a warmer , or colder sound sig.

Cheers

Thanks Guidostrunk!
Good points for us "Padawan Learners."

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #163 of 1,003
"Don't believe all the tube hype my friend. I've rolled the "best" , and at the end of the day , my measly $125 1965 Amperex Holland Dumonts , won out.
Synergy is key imo."

I couldn't if I tried (the hype) when the tubes listed score 117.8 to 117.5, OK sure buddy I'll buy into that..

The fact that the 6N1P is currently in production. The fact that Schiit is using this tube, speaks to me.

http://www.rutubes.com/product/6n1p-ev-e88cc-6n1p-eb-6922-tube/

While it might not be the best sounding tube it has to be the best sounding tube for the price @$3.20 per tube with gold grids

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #164 of 1,003
Wow, I'd sure love to be in love with the cheapest tubes myself. I think some tube gear comes with cheaper tubes because they're more accessible, and some companies charge outrageous amounts for tube "upgrades" that cost less elsewhere. I think Bob did a very good job with this review as well. Sometimes, to fully appreciate the top of the food chain, it takes some time sampling from the less expensive offerings, and seeing what works well for you and your gear. I think for the most part, the "holy grail" tubes have qualities that can be appreciated by the less expensive tubes, although they may be much tougher to hear/appreciate. Just my take. 
beyersmile.png

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #165 of 1,003
  Wow, I'd sure love to be in love with the cheapest tubes myself. I think some tube gear comes with cheaper tubes because they're more accessible, and some companies charge outrageous amounts for tube "upgrades" that cost less elsewhere. I think Bob did a very good job with this review as well. Sometimes, to fully appreciate the top of the food chain, it takes some time sampling from the less expensive offerings, and seeing what works well for you and your gear. I think for the most part, the "holy grail" tubes have qualities that can be appreciated by the less expensive tubes, although they may be much tougher to hear/appreciate. Just my take. 
beyersmile.png

^^ This ^^ ... I have some cheap tubes (well, not $3.00 cheap, but less expensive) that sound nice. But my favorites are, unfortunately, not in the same price/availability category and the sound is on a different shelf. Took me some time to really appreciate the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back