The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Sep 14, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #1,171 of 23,565
Can anyone give me a direct comparison of what they think about the U18 w/ m20 treble vs the tia fourte? I find with using the U18 with silicone tips it can get a bit splashy/harsh but sounds great with foam tips. Was curious is the fourte brighter/splashier in the treble or more smoothed out?

And how does the DD bass compare to the 8 BAs?

Edit: I'm also using a Schiit Jotunheim + Bifrost 4490 and wondering if that may be too bright a setup for these IEMs

If you find U18 treble to be harsh, then I'm afraid you are very sensitive to lower treble. I find U18 upper mids / lower treble to be revealing but not harsh even with silicone tips. For comparison, TIA Fourte will be a little brighter, but still quite tolerable for me, though i switched to 2wire 1960 cable with Fourte. Personally, I'm sensitive to treble peaks myself, and for the reference, since I'm looking at your sig, can't tolerate Encore for too long, prefer Katana or the original K10UA over it.

So, will be a matter of personal preference and tolerance :wink: Have it paired up with neutral daps, all good. Even the pair up with more revealing Plenue 2 is fine to my ears.

Sep 14, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #1,172 of 23,565
I h
Can anyone give me a direct comparison of what they think about the U18 w/ m20 treble vs the tia fourte? I find with using the U18 with silicone tips it can get a bit splashy/harsh but sounds great with foam tips. Was curious is the fourte brighter/splashier in the treble or more smoothed out?

Edit: I'm also using a Schiit Jotunheim + Bifrost 4490 and wondering if that may be too bright a setup for these IEMs

I have the Fourte using a Truth silver cable out of wm1z balanced. All of this gear is very burnt in. I unfortunately cannot recall the specifics of the U18 to compare sorry. I will demo it again next week. I have spent some time with the U18 and I think that both it and the Fourte are among the very best iem's available. I do not find the Fourte treble problematic at all. I find it very clear, well extended, natural and organic, and not overly bright. The DD bass on the Fourte is excellent, textured, full, natural, and goes deep. I can FEEL the bass on the Fourte. I am listening to Gas - Narkopop (44.1k Hz/2 4bit) right now and I can feel the bass in through my neck and chest. I have zero complaints about the Fourte bass and feel it is probably the monitors second best attribute (bested by it's extraordinarily natural and tube like sound which is unlike any iem I have ever heard). I also have the Dita Dream's that have excellent, defined and well extended bass. The Fourte bass is better. The bass can actually sound intimidating - but in a good way if that makes sense - it's just very real sounding and tactile. These descriptions though are a reflection of the relationship of the entire chain I am using (DAP-cable-iem).

I bought the Fourte over the U/A18 due to the tactility of it's sound and what I felt was a more visceral bass - others may disagree. The U/A18 though is a hell of an iem that I am sure I will buy sooner or later.

Has anyone here got any comments re Fourte vs LCD i4. I will demo the i4 in a week or so and compare it, but interested to see if anyone has any comments in the meantime. I read quite a lot of people raving about the i4 and it's realism, bass and staging capabilities - attributes shared by the Fourte.

Sep 14, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #1,173 of 23,565
double post

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #1,174 of 23,565
triple post :)

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #1,175 of 23,565
I also find the A18 highs to be some of the best if not the very best of any totl IEM I’ve ever heard. They have zero siblance, I have maybe 100 plus hours now on them and I’m thrilled with its overall sound signature including the bass well texture excellent layering.

BE366117-FBBF-4DF1-99F7-A02D1CB94CBC.jpeg

F68BA06D-975B-4D41-8097-1EA46A7332BE.jpeg

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #1,176 of 23,565
If you find U18 treble to be harsh, then I'm afraid you are very sensitive to lower treble. I find U18 upper mids / lower treble to be revealing but not harsh even with silicone tips. For comparison, TIA Fourte will be a little brighter, but still quite tolerable for me, though i switched to 2wire 1960 cable with Fourte. Personally, I'm sensitive to treble peaks myself, and for the reference, since I'm looking at your sig, can't tolerate Encore for too long, prefer Katana or the original K10UA over it.

So, will be a matter of personal preference and tolerance :wink: Have it paired up with neutral daps, all good. Even the pair up with more revealing Plenue 2 is fine to my ears.

Yeah this isn't the first time I ran into issues w/ treble peaks, TH900 was unlistenable for me as well and it has similar peaks. I will say directly out of my iphone I heard no harshness, only out of my Jotunheim, I have no other amps/sources right now as my AK300 was faulty.

Edit: Just tried the SE output instead of balanced from my Jot and I don't hear any of the harshness anymore, seems the more power I put in the brighter these get

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #1,177 of 23,565

During my short tenure (tour units) with the twins, I found the fourte treble to be much brighter than that of the u18, everything else being equal (foam tips, Dita dream Cu cable, LPG source).

The DD bass hits lower, of course, but I found the fourte to be lacking midbass, which made the midrange thin for me. Between the two, I preferred the u18.

Sep 15, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #1,178 of 23,565
During my short tenure (tour units) with the twins, I found the fourte treble to be much brighter than that of the u18, everything else being equal (foam tips, Dita dream Cu cable, LPG source).

The DD bass hits lower, of course, but I found the fourte to be lacking midbass, which made the midrange thin for me. Between the two, I preferred the u18.

Thanks! Yeah the U18 seems like my perfect IEM I think just some of my favorite songs are recorded a bit harsh :)

Sep 15, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #1,179 of 23,565
Thanks! Yeah the U18 seems like my perfect IEM I think just some of my favorite songs are recorded a bit harsh :)

For me, the U18, dita Cu cable, and the LPG was just glorious.

At first, I leaned more toward the Fourte, but after extended listening it just became taxing for me. Sure, the holographic, unique, Fourte sound was great at first, but after a while the treble got to me. The midbass hole got to me too.

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #1,180 of 23,565
Would 64 Audio implement the eFit 3D ear scan system for ordering customs? It would definitely bring the experience to the next level.

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #1,182 of 23,565
They used 3D fit for my A12 and A18. So no problem with the fit, everything is perfect.

He mean 3D ear scanning instead of getting regular impressions and having them then scan the impressions.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #1,183 of 23,565
When I got my UE5 they used the 3D scanning and when I got my A10 it was done with the traditional impressions. My A10 fit better.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 20, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #1,184 of 23,565
On loan from @ostewart for a review: 64 Audio U6

They have really impressed me so far. Paired them here with my Ares II (balanced) and used the M15, which results in a warm, smooth and very engaging sound! :ksc75smile:

_MG_6482.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back