64 Audio A12t/U12t Impressions
Apr 17, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #31 of 273
+1 to the m15

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #33 of 273
+1 to the m15

-1 to the M15(at least on A18), it's all about M20. Still waiting for that M30 bass monster module @64Audio =P Can't wait to hear U12t, U12 was my first custom in ear monitor and unfortunately the lack of high end, veil and opaqueness of the images just didn't do it for me. Just popping out the ADEL module and putting in the M15 module made a HUGE difference with regard to clarity and resolution. M15 module on A12 was very nice.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #34 of 273
-1 to the M15(at least on A18), it's all about M20. Still waiting for that M30 bass monster module @64Audio =P Can't wait to hear U12t, U12 was my first custom in ear monitor and unfortunately the lack of high end, veil and opaqueness of the images just didn't do it for me. Just popping out the ADEL module and putting in the M15 module made a HUGE difference with regard to clarity and resolution. M15 module on A12 was very nice.

I have the orange solid apex modules that come with their custom earplugs. I threw them in my A12T...definitely had more bass!

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #35 of 273
I have the orange solid apex modules that come with their custom earplugs. I threw them in my A12T...definitely had more bass!

Pay attention to the sonic images as they arise in the stage, they should also be more solid and concrete, less diffuse and more focused the tradeoff is that they will be closer and the stage slightly smaller.

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #36 of 273
Pay attention to the sonic images as they arise in the stage, they should also be more solid and concrete, less diffuse and more focused the tradeoff is that they will be closer and the stage slightly smaller.

Definitely. I see the modules like a funnel. M15 at the top most widest part, m15 (or orange solid) module at bottom. Soundstage tightens but music sounds closer and and everything has a little bit more to it, as if going from looking at how light shines through one piece of paper to several.

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #37 of 273
@ceeloChamp , do you have any cable recommendations beyond your review? Or can you expand on what makes the Leonidas your favorite? Basically, a coworker let me try their Oriveti Affinity cable on my A12t and I was blown away that I could hear a discernable difference with a more clean and open high end/sound stage. I've never been a believer in cable replacement but today was a holy conversion. The only thing is that I don't like the cable designs and I'm an aesthetics snob. I'm a big fan of Campfire/ALO, have you ever heard or would you recommend their SXC 8 or Reference 8 cables? If so, would they have a similar effect to the Oriveti (crisper high end, more open sound in general)?

If spending $800+ on the Leonidas is worth it, I'd certainly consider it. I'd definitely prefer spending in the sub-$500 range as I might buy two cables (one with 2pin, one with MMCX).

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #38 of 273
@ceeloChamp , do you have any cable recommendations beyond your review? Or can you expand on what makes the Leonidas your favorite? Basically, a coworker let me try their Oriveti Affinity cable on my A12t and I was blown away that I could hear a discernable difference with a more clean and open high end/sound stage. I've never been a believer in cable replacement but today was a holy conversion. The only thing is that I don't like the cable designs and I'm an aesthetics snob. I'm a big fan of Campfire/ALO, have you ever heard or would you recommend their SXC 8 or Reference 8 cables? If so, would they have a similar effect to the Oriveti (crisper high end, more open sound in general)?

If spending $800+ on the Leonidas is worth it, I'd certainly consider it. I'd definitely prefer spending in the sub-$500 range as I might buy two cables (one with 2pin, one with MMCX).

I have tried more then a few cables on the A12t and I found that I personally found that the best pairings were with cables that added some clairity to the overall sound while not making the treble sharp. The Leonidas seemed to accomplish that. Currently my A12t are at 64 audio getting “fattened” in the stem so I can’t give you a better answer because I can’t listen to them at this moment. Another cable i’ve Been excited to try is the plussound exo tri-copper. I am also a huge fan of aesthetics which is why I usually get things from Effect Audio their cables look good, they are very very flexible which I like and I haven’t owned an effect audio cable I did not like. My next cable purchase is going to be the Lionheart, not sure how it will pair, but you could try that it’s $500. I’d recommend you look at silver cables as they add clarity or copper silver hybrids.

I will update you when I get my A12t back

May 2, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #39 of 273
Just received my A12t and good god these are amazing. First pair of CIEMs. I’ll post impressions soon when I have more time with them. I’ll be testing them a few ways, straight out of my iPhone, also with my Mojo and with a Rupert Neve RNHP amp. I’ve only owned over ear headphones before so I’m curious how they’ll stack up against my HE1000v2. Time to dive in!

May 2, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #40 of 273
Just received my A12t and good god these are amazing. First pair of CIEMs. I’ll post impressions soon when I have more time with them. I’ll be testing them a few ways, straight out of my iPhone, also with my Mojo and with a Rupert Neve RNHP amp. I’ve only owned over ear headphones before so I’m curious how they’ll stack up against my HE1000v2. Time to dive in!

Those are one of my favorite over ears :)

May 2, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #41 of 273
Wondering what amps (portable or desktop) you guys are using to drive your A12t? They’re sounding great out of the Mojo but of course I’m still wondering what else is out there. The Mojo tends to be a little warm which generally I like, but I’m wondering if the A12t might benefit from a more neutral amp, especially with the M20 module in. The airier M15 module plays nicely with the Mojo so far.

May 2, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #42 of 273
I use the Ibasso DX200, it has a lot of different amp modules that sound gimmicky, but actually each offer very different sounds. The Sony WM1A I also own and that sounds pretty damn good too :)

May 5, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #43 of 273
Well I’ve had some time with the A12t now. Enough that I feel I can share my thoughts. I almost don’t want to share everything because I know how well liked these are and I’m afraid my comments will ruffle some feathers. But alas I’ll do it anyways in case anyone has some suggestions for me.

I’m really am enjoying them in general, but I must admit I’m not blown away. I’m a little worried that maybe I should have forked over the extra dough for the A18t. It might be more towards my preference in sound. However I’ll say right off the bat that after a few days with them I can easily hear why the A12t can be an end game IEM for many people. Especially depending on what genres they prefer. I tend to listen to rock, jazz, classical, hip-hop, blues and female vocals so I really need something versatile.

I guess I’ll get into my gripes first. Overall they have a warm character which isn’t necessarily bad with certain genres, but (and I know I risk getting flamed here) I dare say at times they sound just a touch veiled and muddy. I tend to prefer a neutral sound with a bit of an emphasis in the mids. No doubt the bass is there in spades and sounds great with the M20, but it feels like it leaks into the mids followed by a dip in the mids. The vocals sound a bit recessed and not as airy and lifelike like as prefer. I don’t think classical is this IEMs forte nor is rock. I have been absolutely spoiled by the HE1000v2 and I’m realizing that now, it just does everything well and effortlessly.

Before anyone asks why the heck did I get the A12t since it’s known to have a warm character, the answer is I was lucky enough to have won them for free. And yes I feel like a bit of an ass already for daring to criticize a $2k IEM I received for free.

I don’t hate this IEM at all, I am truly enjoying it with many songs, and I can appreciate its strengths. I am just left wanting a little bit more. I feel like I can’t let a playlist of my favorite tracks across different genres just play and every song sounds great. I find myself skipping a bit to get to songs that hit the A12t sweet spot, but it’s a great sweet spot :)

I’m very impressed with how well it brings the bass and just when I think the warmth is going to spoil the party there’s still a tremendous amount of transparency, detail, instrument separation, spaciousness and treble sparkle. I don’t know how they achieved this but it’s awesome. Like I said, im enjoying the hell out of many songs with the A12t, it’s just not 100% perfect for me across the board.

I wish there was an M17.5 module. Something right smack in the middle of the two they offer. I love the airiness and spaciousness the m15 achieves as the music just flows delicately around my head. However it’s just missing a bit of punch and the some instruments lack a bit of texture. The M20 is the total opposite... the soundstage closes in for an intimate injection of sound right to your brain. The bass reaches deep and gives the guitar, bass and drums amazing texture and pulp. I can really feel each note. However the warmth becomes a little too much and the vocals aren’t as life-like. It’s like the M15 is a little thin and the M20 is a little fat. I know that’s far too simplistic but there it is.

I listen mainly to Tidal, Masters when I can. I’ve been using two amps, a Mojo and a Rupert Neve RNHP. The RNHP uses a Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC. The Mojo maintains the musicality, power and just overall fun presentation of music like always, but the extra warmth it adds is not ideal with the A12t for my tastes. The Rupert Neve combined with the Bifrost Multibit outclasses the Mojo big time IMO with the A12t. It’s really a beautiful pairing and I hope others here have a chance to try it. I am borrowing it from a friend and I may have to buy one. It appears to be a very neutral amp and seeems to squeeze every bit of quality out of the A12t. The background is blacker, the instruments more separated and microdetail is pronounced. It just produces the music in such an effortless way that is so pleasing to my ear.

I just purchased the Alo Reference 8 from a member here so I’m hoping it can reduce the warmth, lift the veil a little and tighten the low end a bit.

I am absolutely nit picking here as the A12t is great. I’ve just kinda reached a point in my listening where I feel like I should be able to fine tune a sound that is perfectly suited to my preferences. The HE1000v2 is literally perfect to my ear and I’m hoping I can achieve close that with the right amp, DAC and cable pairing with the A12t.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #44 of 273
Hey man,

firstly I don't think you should expect to get the A12t to sound like the HE1000v2, so I'd get that expectation out of your head. IEMs are more precise, but I've heard those HE1000v2 and those are outstanding over ears, there is no way that the A12t will have the same feel as a TOTL over-ear fulled sized headphone.

I wrote a little write up in this thread about the A12t and after a handful of months with them I stand by what I said, these are awesome IEMs, but they are boring...they don't stir your soul in the same way that some do, because they don't really have a personality of their own. What they are is a good all arounder that has a great amount of bass for a BA, but they are also pretty detailed. I don't think that I would call them 'muddy', they have less detail/speed then the Andromedas, but they also have more bass presence. There is no doubt that the A18t is a better IEM, but it doesn't have the same level of bass that the A12t does, so if you value bass, then I don't think the A12t is a 'worse' choice per-say, but it is one 'step' down in sound quality.

It is a great all around IEM, if you were to get the A18t you will probably be happier, but you may feel as though you were at times missing bass then you would start looking into other headphones to scratch your itch for more bass...it's a slippery slope. If you want to get a bit more clarity from the A12t you can try pairing it with different cables, I'd suggest you get a good portable DAP too, I personally don't think the Mojo pairs well with it as I think it is a warmer source. Ultimately no IEM will give you the spacious feel of a full-sized can, this hobby is all about compromise, people always say that they have reached their 'end-game' but then they end up tweaking their gear, the A12t isn't going to blow your mind, but if you want a good all-rounder you can travel with and listen to all genres, you'll be hard-pressed to find one better...it personally isn't my favorite, because it is too 'safe', but I still love it and use it often.

May 6, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #45 of 273
@ceeloChamp I really appreciate your response. I totally get that its hard to achieve the level of the HE1000 and if that's my expectation i may just continue to get disappointed. I'm going to try the Alo Reference 8 and keep with neutral amps and take it from there. I'm going to just appreciate all that the A12t does so well :)

Between the DX200 and WM1A which is your favorite for sound quality? Are either capable of using Roon and/or Tidal? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back