64 Audio A12t/U12t Impressions
Apr 4, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #16 of 273
@ceeloChamp

Yeah, I was fortunate that I was able to give a 4 hour listening session with the U12t and U18t. I know some other users on here have actually upgraded from the A12T to the A18T...but I couldn't justify another $1,000 for the 18T because the 12T sounds great! I can't wait for the N8T, I really want to get a hybrid IEM and an electrostatic IEM.

For another CIEM, hmm...I really haven't given much thought. I was so focused on 64 Audio because of their apex system. I have to wear IEMs at work for like 6-7 hours a day, and I realized after getting the Andromeda and Vega that no matter how satisfied I am with a universal's sound, I can't wear IEMs for longer than 1-2 hours. My ear canals are between medium-large size where medium foam/silicone tips fall out but large tips are TOO large and I'll get radial pressure/pain within 1-2 hours (not to mention fatigue).

Which is wy 64's two punch combo of a 3d printed shell with the apex tech sold me. And I can honestly say I've worn my A12Ts for 4-5 hours without once feeling any kind of pain or pressure or fatigue. I even fell asleep with them on one night and when I woke up, music was still playing and I still felt pain/fatigue free!

So searching for another CIEM will be difficult. I keep hearing great things about JH, UE, and Empire Ears, but I'd need to give them a listen before I can make a decision.

Since we seem to be on a similar level in terms of our IEM opinions/purchases, what CIEMs are interesting to you?

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #17 of 273
Yeah, I was fortunate that I was able to give a 4 hour listening session with the U12t and U18t. I know some other users on here have actually upgraded from the A12T to the A18T...but I couldn't justify another $1,000 for the 18T because the 12T sounds great! I can't wait for the N8T, I really want to get a hybrid IEM and an electrostatic IEM.

For another CIEM, hmm...I really haven't given much thought. I was so focused on 64 Audio because of their apex system. I have to wear IEMs at work for like 6-7 hours a day, and I realized after getting the Andromeda and Vega that no matter how satisfied I am with a universal's sound, I can't wear IEMs for longer than 1-2 hours. My ear canals are between medium-large size where medium foam/silicone tips fall out but large tips are TOO large and I'll get radial pressure/pain within 1-2 hours (not to mention fatigue).

Which is wy 64's two punch combo of a 3d printed shell with the apex tech sold me. And I can honestly say I've worn my A12Ts for 4-5 hours without once feeling any kind of pain or pressure or fatigue. I even fell asleep with them on one night and when I woke up, music was still playing and I still felt pain/fatigue free!

So searching for another CIEM will be difficult. I keep hearing great things about JH, UE, and Empire Ears, but I'd need to give them a listen before I can make a decision.

Since we seem to be on a similar level in terms of our IEM opinions/purchases, what CIEMs are interesting to you?

Now, that's a hearty endorsement...

I've auditioned quite a few JH & UE. The only IEM that was worth its salt was JH Layla. The others I wouldn't take for free; well, maybe to gift to someone :)

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #18 of 273
@ceeloChamp

Sorry it took so long to get back to me. I was thinking similar things about the A18t, I actually just bought a Fourte because I couldn't imagine getting the 18t and the 12t, seemed stupid. I do realize the 18t will be a whole new level, but the 12t is my go to all day CIEM and I am very happy with it. I also wear them all day long and I've kept them in for like 6 hours straight...I even play video games with them, which I never did before and the sound placement is unreal.

The Andromeda is airier, cleaner, and clearer, but there is something that is more satisfying about the 12t, I guess it has a bassy emotion to it that the Andromeda lacks. I will either get the 5-way, or the EE Legend X, but I am torn between the two. I'm leaning towards the Spiral Ears 5-way Ultimate. I've read a lot of interesting reviews about it and I think it won't be a redundant purchase, like getting an A18t would be. I'm going to wait and see how I like the Fourte, hopefully they fit well and because they have a built-in Apex, maybe they will be as easy to wear for long sessions as the A12t is.

Best,
Ben

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #19 of 273
I will say that I just got a used Sony WM1A and it sounds fantastic with the A12ts, maybe even better than my DX200...........

Apr 10, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #20 of 273
Wait, what? The A12t has more bass than the vega?! Damn, Im curious now.

Im kind of hesitant of going back to 64Audio, after the purchase of the Tzar and subsequent return of them thanks to huge built quality issues and uneven response at low frequencies.

I went on a search to find a new set, currently Im using Vega set while Im waiting for my VE8. When I pick up the VE, Ill try the A12t and hear it for myself.

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #21 of 273
Wait, what? The A12t has more bass than the vega?! Damn, Im curious now.

Im kind of hesitant of going back to 64Audio, after the purchase of the Tzar and subsequent return of them thanks to huge built quality issues and uneven response at low frequencies.

I went on a search to find a new set, currently Im using Vega set while Im waiting for my VE8. When I pick up the VE, Ill try the A12t and hear it for myself.

It is a BA, but the bass feels like a DD it also is fast when it needs to be, I've been really impressed. The IEM is warm, but definitely less warm then the previous version and the mids are still slightly recessed, but nothing like the deep V of the Vega.

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #22 of 273
There have been some discussions about the 18t as an upgrade to the 12t. I've been auditioning the former and I can state conclusively it is NOT an upgrade. The 18t lacks the LID technology and thus it's impedance dependant, which in turn can lead to nasty debacles. For example, my sp1000 drove the IEM to an aural disaster. Actually, I'm surprised 64 Audio hasn't implemented the LID technology in all their flagship offerings...

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #23 of 273
There have been some discussions about the 18t as an upgrade to the 12t. I've been auditioning the former and I can state conclusively it is NOT an upgrade. The 18t lacks the LID technology and thus it's impedance dependant, which in turn can lead to nasty debacles. For example, my sp1000 drove the IEM to an aural disaster. Actually, I'm surprised 64 Audio hasn't implemented the LID technology in all their flagship offerings...

That is a really interesting observation. I’ve only heard the U18t once and it was from a WM1Z and sounded great. I will say that I successfully use my A12t with a lot of different sources, I even use it to play video games...it is so clear, and immersive. I guess it really depends what your source is?

I think the A12t is the best all rounder IEM I have. We should e-mail 64 and ask if they are going to incorporate LID on the A18t.

@Vingard I didn’t realize that about the LID it may help inform your decision.

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #25 of 273
I’ve tried to give them equal time since I got them, but I like the air the m15 gives

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #27 of 273
i see, i'm torn on both because i like the tone of the m20 more, i'm wondering if cable rolling could change my mind, either add a little more air to the m20 or warm up the m15 a little.

btw, A12t owners should check out the album "雲" by _fuux released by DUST-TONE free to download on bandcamp. its an electronic, abstract album which to my finding, isn't to many people's taste, but the bass rumble it puts out is absolutely glorious. highlight track is "火箸"

link:

Apr 17, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #30 of 273
Back to the filters: I prefer the 15 since it subdues the bottom end to perfection. I'm not a bass-head, but still like the warm signature of the 12t; the 15 makes it all click.

Another benefit is the ambience penetration. Quite welcome when I ride my motorcycle or bicycle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back