595's or M50's?
Feb 19, 2011 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

langquorth

New Head-Fier
They are about the same price now, the HD 595 is around 129, while the M50 is around 121-149.
which one should I get? I listen mostly to metal though.
also, with the M50, for an additional $50, the dealer would give me free hippo box+.

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi, the 595's are open hp's and offer a more open natural refined sound. The M50's are closed and offer more bass but are also quite natural sounding too. They are more practical for using with mp3 players as they are easier to drive without the use of a headphone amp.

I own both, but If I had to keep one it would be the M50's. I think they give you a slightly more enjoyable sound experience.

Fot metal, the 595's may be a little too polite sounding for you, where as the m50's will give you a punchier sound. 

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 7
OP, bear in mind that the HD595 are a beautiful pair of cans, they are simply amazing, although I would have to admit the M50 might be more coloured and fun-sounding for your taste. Shame. The thing is we assume you would need a more low-frequencyinclined sound, i.e. more bass than what the 595 has to offer.

Will you be using them outside, at a library, or in your house? The difference is big, since the 595's are open and will make anyone around a bit conscient of the fact that you're listening to Slayer's Greatest Hits, while the M50 will keep that to yourself. Also, I think they might need some amping to bring out their best display.

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 7
I own the HD555 and the M50. Straight out of an Ipod I prefer the M50. For home use with an amp however, I'd have to give the edge to the Sennheiser (I like the bigger soundstage) but that's just my opinion. I use both cans to listen to hard rock and heavy metal.

Feb 19, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 7
I had both of these at one point.  They were both used unamped, straight into an IPod or Macbook.  I really liked the vocals and drums on the 595, but I thought that the low frequencies were sorely lacking.  The M50 where not quite as clear on the midrange and highs as the 595, but the lows made up for it.  It put body into whatever I was listening to.  I got rid of my 595s since I thought the M50's were better overall.

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 7
The bass on the 595 could never be described as sorely lacking. It may not be up to Denon standards, but if you find it sorely lacking I accuse you of being a basshead.

Don't worry, it's a common malady.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back