5670 W396a 2C51 6N3P tube thread
Feb 11, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #47 of 82
Hi, anyone can comment how about the GE5670 compared to Russian 6n3p/6n3p-E? Thanks!

I got a pair of russian 6n3p-e for my matisse kit preamp. I removed the stock chinese 6n3 that came with it and replaced it with russian ones. Sound changed very noticeably, the bass has become more heavier and tighter. It sounds more precise now, it starts and ends nicely while chinese tube had more. Mushier sounding bass that goes all over the place. I don't have ge5670 to compare but when i posted this question on audiokarma someone who is expert in russian tubes said he likes the sound og russian tubes over 5670.

In my case russian tubes sounded warmer too.

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #48 of 82
I'm late to the party here and getting more into tubes as of lately. Learning a bit. And have picked up a couple choices to try, yet still compiling my impressions of each and some yet to be tested.

My Test Rig is iFi Pro iCan / Hifiman Susvara+Norne Silver Draug/ KTE Spring L4 Dac
and tubes I picked up for the amp are:

*Stock GE 5670 tubes
*Western Electric JW spec 0396 D Getter and O getter types (matched NOS) 6-7 different pairs
*LM Ericcson 2C51 D getters (NOS matched)
*LM Ericcson 2C51 D Getters (NOS matched) earlier gold pin versions supposedly better than WE396a JW's.
*Bendix 6385's Red Bank duet (matched and strong values)
*Tesla Pinched waste 6CC42 (NOS matched pair) These sound incredible, very detailed
*Tesla 6CC42 with O getter, Ring Getter and some odd 64' Teslas i forgot ( all NOS matched pairs) But can't find any Disc Getter pairs which apparently are the rarest?
*Sylvania gold brand (NOS matched)

considering some RCA command, and looking for GE 6386's... but sticking with the couple i've picked up thus far.

The bendix really sound pretty darn good and havent heard any teslas or LM E's yet. still enjoying WE's and Bendix and Tesla Pinched at this time. The stock GE 5670 tubes are OK for the amp i'm using. Tesla's might be my second favorite, yet oddly were not priced too expensive unlike the Bendix which are like hen's teeth and heavy premium. Bendix Gold Bank Duet's are pretty odd since they are taller than all the other tubes by a bit due to the TRIPLE mica's, yet sound a notable bit better all around and easily my favorite tubes!!! better detail on top end by a significant amount, perfect mid range and low end is quite controlled and tight with more bass than the rest of the tubes i've tested thus far... the sound stage of the Bendix Red Bank Duet's is the widest and most separated/vivid of all the tubes. Once I have more time with all these tubes i'll try to put more detailed description of each.

does anyone use those tube damper things and find they help? any recommendations?

If anyone has a pair of Bendix 6385's avail as 1964's or other variants, I would still like to get another pair for another amp. Please PM if you would like to sell :D

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #50 of 82
I’m looking to get new tubes for my Loxjie P20. Any suggestions??

Same here, I recently purchased the Loxjie P20 and paired it with my RME ADI-2 DAC for XLR balanced input to output. Loving it so far with Sennheiser Jubilees and Hifiman HE-4XX planars. I did swap out the tubes with the Russian 6N3P-E ones sold on Amazon. It was an improvement over the stock Chinese 6N3P’s but I find I need to tame the mids a little with the EQ. I prefer a slight v-curve on the frequency spectrum. I do want to try some 5670 tubes and will follow up if I’m able to add any to the mix.

Later, G8tor

Dec 22, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #53 of 82
Sorry to revive this necro thread, but I ended up here on the subject of Loxjie P20 tube rolling... @Brooklyn70, did you find any tubes you liked? @G8torbyte did you stick with the 6N3P-Es, or move to something new?

I did try a few different pairs. Russian 6N3P-EV tubes sounded better for me than the tubes included with the Loxjie and the Russian tubes were plentiful usually less then $15 a pair. The 5670 vintage tubes were easy to find but are a bit more costly. I tried Raytheons, Heintz & Kaufman and General Electric 5-star. The GE 5-star suited me best with the tones I prefer.
One thing to be aware is 6N3P-type tubes are taller and much easier to pull in and out of the socket. The 5670 tubes will work but being shorter they are not easy to remove once inserted in the Loxjie.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #55 of 82
GE 5670 5 Star are good, if not the best ... I use them in a Schiit Mjolnir 2 (with converters) and can even get them in Europe at a reasonable price. I have both white and red lettering/logo at hand, although I'm not sure of the difference.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #56 of 82
Perfect, thanks all for your replies! I've sourced some local 6N3P-DR tubes for a reasonable price to start, but also found a local-ish source for a pair of JAN 5670's. I'm keeping an eye on it, bit I can see this becoming quite a money sink if you're not careful... :wink:

Thanks again!

Feb 14, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #57 of 82
I’m glad I found this thread, as I’ve been tube rolling my MHDT Havana. I got a bunch of tubes to try, including 6922’s and even a 6SN7 but I’ll need to get the adaptors to try those. For now, I’ve tried these tubes in the DAC:

JJ 6386
GE 5670 made by H&K
6N3P
GE JAN 5670W
Raytheon JRP 5670 black plates / square getter
Bendix 6385
Electronic Enterprises Inc. 5670

My favorite so far is the Raytheon. The sound is perfect for my system and ears. A little bright, liquidy, sweet. None of the other tubes are as lively and fun. Although I’m not sure about the Bendix because I don’t know how it tests. I think it might be a bit used up because it doesn’t sound “strong”.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #58 of 82
Hi all!
just arrived the new toy! SMSL SP100
First experience with tube for me...
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-01 at 13.19.43.jpeg

It use the 6N3 which I immediately replaced with an economic Nos GE 5670 that sound better.
Now it's in burn-in but for the price I am extremely happy! It sounds very good!
I took inspiration from the discussion and I have already ordered a GE 5670 Triple Mica and some strange Urss 6N3P, do you have any advice on where to find these tubes not only on ebay? I'm in Europe...

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #59 of 82
This is an old thread but I recently bought a new Schiit Vali 2++. I have a ton of 12AX7s from my tube receiver and amp days but nothing for the Vali. The tube in the Vali is OK but I definitely wanted to try another option. I have a GE JAN 5670W on the way. These seem plentiful for now. I have no interest in buying a tube that cost more than the amp. All in all the Vali 2++ is a surprising little amp. More open sounding than my Asgard 3 to my ears. Plenty of power for my HD600's and the low gain is nice for my other headphones.

Nov 17, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #60 of 82
I await a pair of GE JAN 5670 & of Western Electric 2C51 that I am excited to try out in Liquid Platinum & in Woo WA2 (via 5670 => 6922 adapters) 😛

Users who are viewing this thread

Back