$500 dollars to spend on portable audio...recomendations??
May 17, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #16 of 25

Quote:

you heard the ie8?if you didnt, dont comment on it.ie8 is still my favourite to date and it have qualities no other top tier iems have.i am selling mine along with my other iems just to fund customs,but if i had enough money i wouldnt even consider selling ie8.

to the OP,what genres do you listen to?

Even though EphemeralHope might have exaggerated a little, I'd still say that the IE8 tend to be a bit overrated on head-fi - at least in comparison to other forums. In Europe they're priced very aggressively (180 euros, vs 320 for Westone 3 for instance), but at least on some French forums they're considered very good for their price, but not much more.

What I mean is that recommending the IE8 is easy (lots of feedbacks around here), and they're very good at a lot of things but it does not mean it might be a very wise buy for everything - I've seen them recommended for practically any kind of musical genre - and that is IMHO quite exaggerated :).

So I second midoo1990 in asking the OP what musical genres he intends to listen to 
normal_smile .gif

May 17, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #17 of 25
I wouldn't suggest the Op to go another way if I hadn't, I've auditioned the IE8s for approx. 20 hours. and the only redeeming of it is the "incredible" or "artificial" soundstage - whichever you prefer. But then again, I don't really like my E-q7s that much either and sometimes find problems with my MDs too - so I'm a picky person. But strictly SQ wise, I personally would not buy an IE8 at this point.

I would say the same about not buying shure 530s - except that I thought they were amazing because I heard them a year before I heard everything else that I have heard in the IEM world. But, I'm sure if I had another chance to audition them then I would find much more flaws than I remember :)

Quote:

you heard the ie8?if you didnt, dont comment on it.ie8 is still my favourite to date and it have qualities no other top tier iems have.i am selling mine along with my other iems just to fund customs,but if i had enough money i wouldnt even consider selling ie8.

to the OP,what genres do you listen to?

May 17, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #18 of 25
Good choice on the amp, just make sure you get a DAC also :) - as for getting coppers - I actually saw some cheap ones in the FS section yesterday if you're willing to buy off other members. But you're taking your first step into headfi land (well a first decent setup, I suppose)... be warned - once you enter then there is no turning back :)

Quote:
i was planning on spending about half on hps and half on an amp/DAC for my laptop ill look into the Headstage Arrow
dt880smile.png

May 17, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #19 of 25

Quote:

What I mean is that recommending the IE8 is easy (lots of feedbacks around here), and they're very good at a lot of things but it does not mean it might be a very wise buy for everything - I've seen them recommended for practically any kind of musical genre - and that is IMHO quite exaggerated :).

i still havent found an iem or headphone that makes every genres shine,thats why every headfier here has more than multiple iems, and thats why the op should tell us what he listens to.

May 17, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #21 of 25
i listen mainly to alternative, techno, trance and some classical
and to bledig or anyone who can answer how is the bass on the se530s? i have the se110 and it only has bass with the bass boost on on my e5 otherwise its not even there.

May 17, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #22 of 25
I dislike IE8 with a passion. :p

I even think IE7 sounds better and more refined to me. Seeing all the different opions its safe to say everyone's hearing is different and you will be bombarded with masses of choices.

FYI, I am a college student, and no one know how much my recabled TF10 cost. They all think Bose and Skullcandy is the most expensive crap. xD

May 17, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #23 of 25
yeah thanks for the confidence boost xD, anyways does anyone know how well the se530s extend in the frequency range? my se110s seem so narrow compared to my senn. hd 238s though that could be from the open design.

May 17, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #24 of 25
To me SE530 have no treble at all, very strange sounding without the treble but midrange is pretty nice. However I would say once TF10 is silver recabled, the mid range quality is much closer.

May 17, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #25 of 25
that's what i get from the se110s so ill probably stay away from the shure's i like a sparkly highs, has anyone heard the ck10? how would this rate compared to shure's sound sig.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back