$500 dollars to spend on portable audio...recomendations??
May 17, 2010 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Jmstrmbn

100+ Head-Fier
Just a little background im going to college next semseter and i am using some grad money to buy headphones/amps etc. right now my idea is to buy the sennheiser ie8 or ie7 and either the Total Bithead or fiio e7 when it comes out.  My source is 5.5g ipod video with LOD and a fiio e5, my current iems are shure's se110s and while i like their sound i prefer sennheiser's hd238 which i got last christmas...the main problem with this plan is my parents feel that running around a college with 200+ headphones is begging for someone to steal them?

Thanks in advance for your opinons
dt880smile.png

May 17, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 25
That's what i thought however convincing parents is another matter, that said i think ill just buy the ie8 seeing that it is the safest route, are there any stores where i can test them? i live in  phoenix arizona

May 17, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 25
just to let you know: sennheiser is one of the best "mainstream" brands in full-sized headphones - in the IEM world... ie8 is generally considered to fare poorly against other top tier IEMs - you should look at the thread that koonhua linked you to.... before you end up regretting your purchase and joining those in the FS section of this forum trying to get rid of their IE8s.

May 17, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 25
my actual preference would be either the copper pros however i think that their showy style will be a beacon to college kids that they are expensive and they will be more likely to be stolen, which is one of the major selling points for me because the ie8 is the same drab gray that all sennheiser products are. I am interseted in the Jvc fx 500/700 also.  Right now i can get the 500 for about 150dollars is this a good price or is it better to just up for the 700?

May 17, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 25
^ Agreed.  IE8's sound good, but they really lack some of the qualities that some of the best IEMs have in terms of sound, especially at that price point.  I remember last year the real hot topic was the UE Triple-fi vs. SE530.  Definitely look into those two. 

As far as an amp goes, I feel like you could upgrade that with the money you've got right now.  I've got a pair of SE420's from my ipod and an iBasso D2, and it sounds great.  Also, I've read a lot about the new Headstage Arrow:  slim, extremely portable, and great reviews on sound quality. 

May 17, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #10 of 25
It'd be better to step up to the FX, assuming you wouldn't mind spending the extra money. I have not the FX-500, but you can post it on the FX-700 thread to ask those with both.

May 17, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #11 of 25
I'm not sure how settled you are on the IE7/IE8, but given that you are going to college I'd like to recommend either budget or remolded customs... better isolation in noisy environments & comfort for long listening, err.. study sessions :wink:

also, I imagine that they'd be less attractive for thieves :)

May 17, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #12 of 25
true true the coppers are super bling bling under sunlight, furthermore it is monster. College students might only know that monster (beats) is the only expensive brand so they will be looking at those. Though the coppers are really nice phones

May 17, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #13 of 25
i was really happy with Shure's SE530. I didn't use any amp or anything and it sounds perfectly fine from my iphone. note: try it with the triflanges with one of the flanges nipped off :)

May 17, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #14 of 25

Quote:
just to let you know: sennheiser is one of the best "mainstream" brands in full-sized headphones - in the IEM world... ie8 is generally considered to fare poorly against other top tier IEMs - you should look at the thread that koonhua linked you to.... before you end up regretting your purchase and joining those in the FS section of this forum trying to get rid of their IE8s.

you heard the ie8?if you didnt, dont comment on it.ie8 is still my favourite to date and it have qualities no other top tier iems have.i am selling mine along with my other iems just to fund customs,but if i had enough money i wouldnt even consider selling ie8.

to the OP,what genres do you listen to?

May 17, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #15 of 25
Ie8 is smooth, warm, but it might be too warm using the stock tips provided/comply tips. You will need the right tips and some eq, if you want a more detailed/sharper/edgy presentation. It still sounds pretty good using the proper eq and the right tips(tips modding/using other tips; I use the silicone provided by the FX-700, the affect the sound the least for me), but personally, I prefer the FX quite a lot more than I do for the IE8.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/450407/multiple-iem-shootout-v-3/0

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-63-iems-compared-yuin-ok1-added-05-03/0

Read up those 2 thread. You don't necessarily have to spend $500 on the earphone to get good sound. Save the money to get an amp (if you intend to get one) or a better player. And if you intend to go all out, get customs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back