5 Million Star Wars geeks' heads just a-sploded!
Nov 9, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #61 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Talk about treating women like a piece of meat
Just some things written in this thread about 1 girl:

"She has the body of a little boy"
"She has no buisness playing a stripper when she lacks the hardware"
"Let them give her some fake ones or something"
"I'd say she's slightly above average, maybe an 8"
eek.gif

"her butt looks huge"
"yea i guess they gave her some butt pads in that pic"
"Is it me or her arms are really short?"

And my favorite:

"I never resorted to personal insults anyways, someone else did."

Ehrmm, have you read what you wrote about that poor girl?

I'm ashamed of you guys
frown.gif

I've heard plenty of women talk about guys in the same way. It's not just the testosterone addicts that treat the other gender as meat.

Nov 9, 2004 at 9:50 AM Post #62 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
I've heard plenty of women talk about guys in the same way. It's not just the testosterone addicts that treat the other gender as meat.

I never said anything about testosterone addicts. And I'm not talking about "plenty of women" I'm talking about the comments in this thread.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think it's realistic to ask men or women not to talk about the other genders looks. It's perfectly normal to let your hormones talk ones in a while. We're sexual beings.
I'm talking about the way you do that.
There's a difference between comments like "She's hot", "Great breasts!" or "she doesn't do it for me" and rating someone on a scale from 1 to 10 or photoshopping someones butt to make it more to your liking. That's tasteless and insulting. If you really want to talk that way, do it in private.

Nov 9, 2004 at 11:23 AM Post #63 of 79
each of those quotes is from me, i'll speak up:

Should i write a haiku now about my respect for women? Sprout feminism, and make nice with the female gender to fix my political correctnes and respect level?

Women are great
they make babies, YEA
it's fun

how's that : ] HAH
j/k

I have plenty of respect for women of respect.
Examples) My Mother, My sister, Mother Teresa, Wanda Sykes...Pamela Anderson.

Seriously though, please don't get all offended. It wasn't meant that way.
None of these comments are directed towards you.. I do not feel to have not stepped out of any bounds (nor has anyone else) here, but if you feel i'm being nasty, i'll stop now.

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:09 PM Post #64 of 79
mjg,
Those quotes are not all yours. From a quick look at them and memory of who wrote what I saw that at least three were made by others.

The post wasn't directly directed at you. I would have said so if that was the case.

I'm not offended. Why do you pressume that? I didn't take it personally. I said I was ashamed of some of my fellow head-fiers, not offended by them.
I just thought of how I would feel if I were her. And came to the conclusion that a lot of comments are just plain rude towards her.
As I said, I think there's a line between talking about someones appearance and being tasteless and insulting. And I felt I had to say that IMO the line was crossed.

Nov 9, 2004 at 1:31 PM Post #65 of 79
I know they'll say we just stick together, but I know what you're saying Lisa, and agree. The thing is I've just about given up on fighting it though, because they don't get it, and they don't see how it's insulting, and in fact feel it's completely normal. Yeah, it makes one feel they don't have a lot of experience with women in reality though.
tongue.gif

For my part, I often see the world so differently than your average head-fier that it's not worth the trouble of posting. But I wanted to come out of lurk mode to show some support that it's not just you.

I mean, even in another thread about UPS, we got to see some girl's decent into the land of impending yeast infections. Why? This is an audio forum.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
mjg,
Those quotes are not all yours. From a quick look at them and memory of who wrote what I saw that at least three were made by others.

The post wasn't directly directed at you. I would have said so if that was the case.

I'm not offended. Why do you pressume that? I didn't take it personally. I said I was ashamed of some of my fellow head-fiers, not offended by them.
I just thought of how I would feel if I were her. And came to the conclusion that a lot of comments are just plain rude towards her.
As I said, I think there's a line between talking about someones appearance and being tasteless and insulting. And I felt I had to say that IMO the line was crossed.

Nov 9, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #66 of 79
reading this thread i was wondering when someone would mention the way women were being talked about.

it's a public forum people, not a barroom.

with that said, these women are beautiful because they are classy as hell:
beri014.jpg

images118318_Marlene%20Dietrich.jpg

women movie stars today (in general) do not have the identity and personality that made actresses (yes, even though they worked in a very chauvanist society and workplace) so graceful and elegant back in the day.

does natalie portman compare to ingrid bergman?
biggrin.gif

or for that matter, Mel Gibson to Bogart???

Nov 9, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #67 of 79
I would say Johnny Depp, Matthew Broderick, Sarah Jessica Parker, Nicole Kidman and quite a few others have quite a great deal of class given the modern culture and expectations.

Nov 9, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #68 of 79
What can I say, I find it sexy when actresses strip. In fact, in "Jeckyll and Hyde" I thought Ingrid Bergman was quite sexy as the loose woman with the dropping neckline. I hope that's not sexist - I think it's just sexy. In fact, Julia Roberts is the ultimate example of this - she's classy and tough as nails whether she's playing a Hooker in Pretty Woman, or a Erin Brokavich (sp?) type who relys a bit on her feminine wiles to get the dirt on the corporation. So she's going to strip in this movie, and Princess Amidala is going to try to keep pace? Sorry sister, but Julia is going to win that dance-off.

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #69 of 79
Many of those old films were simply idealistic portrayals of what a man or woman should be and that's why they're not timeless to me. Regarding the objectification of women, it's unfortunate to read the comments by some of these members. Disregard Natalie's fame and beauty (or lack thereof according to many of the comments) and one is left with a talented girl who entered Harvard on her own scholastic merit. During the few interviews I've read she's presented herself as a very grounded and intelligent woman with a witty sense of humor and the ability to move beyond the stardom facade. Of course, none of that matters because, "She has no business playing a stripper when she lacks the hardware." The irony about that statement is the one who posted that would be lucky to find a woman with half of the intellect, beauty or class as Natalie (or any other woman).
rolleyes.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #70 of 79
ah, yes old movies definitely had their biases, unlike movies nowadays, especially the ones natalie portman are in.

regardless... how can you judge a person's character on interviews and limelight photos? I can't say much about her as a person either way.

i have no problem appreciating male and female forms as the beatiful things that they are. there's nothing wrong with that.
i certainly don't look at natalie portman and lust for her figure, but that's me. i'm plenty happy with my girlfriend's body, but her character(her facial expressions when shooting down my theories on semiotics could melt butter) makes whole her beauty in my eyes (and ears etc.).

i could sit and watch beautiful women all day, without a speck of guilt but there's only one i go home to

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #71 of 79
Yeah, I heard about the scenes being removed... I'm sure Fark has something on it. Oughta go read that thread; I bet it's good. Doesn't matter anyway, you know they're going to release a Director's Cut. I don't care what they say about morals, they always release the scenes.

That being said, she is pretty hot, IMO. And I think that if anyone on the board happened to meet her in person, you would indeed 'crap your pants and pass out.' (Props to KR for quote) Say what you like about celebrities looks, or lack thereof, they're still hot and you know it
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #72 of 79
Actually I saw Natalie Portman in Shakespeare in the Park acting in "The Seagull" with Kevin Kline and Meryl Streep. Maybe she was just nervous or something but her performance was uninspired and wooden. Meryl came off smelling like roses - she even tossed in a cartwheel (totally in character!) and was very sexy indeed. There's no doubt that she is a lovely young lady, but Meryl carried the night with an inspired performance - and that kind of self-confidence is attractive imho.

BTW in a strip-off, I'm not saying Julia would beat Natalie just because she's more attractive, but also that she can probably throw herself into the role more convincingly - it's a mark of a good actress, not just a sexy body.

Nov 9, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #73 of 79
Look all of my points, the serious ones are summed up in a simple sentence.

Women and men are equal? Then why shall we be treated differently?
I give much respect to people in general in face of adversity, given the stigma over men being pigs, well how much of it is true?

I think being a true pig, means you truly believe you are better then someone else, and they are then in fact a material, or object as used.

I believe we are all divided by the same means, yet i feel it's easy to pick on the subject, when you opened the door in a thread titled "3 million starwars fans pants jsut exploded"

What did you expect?

No doesn't justify us saying gross things, but are you sort of looking for a confrontation, or a bone to pick? This is the way people are... I've delt with alto of problems, one way i deal with thinhigs is by making a big joke out of it. I openly invite you to critque my messages,
i just don't get why you'd jump to such a tilted conclusion, with such little evidence. We aren't all pigs, i don't believe we should be ashamed when we joke.

Don't be jaded, Men aren't anymore disgusting then women are. The good ones are the ones that count (men or women). I hope my message isn't confusing, i suck at expressing myself. I don't feel anyone should be ashamed while playing, we all get caught with our pants down here and there.

I can totally see this thread getting moved to outside.
So i'll change my tone... Let's all be friends now OK ? : ]

Nov 9, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #74 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
I believe we are all divided by the same means, yet i feel it's easy to pick on the subject, when you opened the door in a thread titled "3 million starwars fans pants jsut exploded"

actually, it is "5 Million Star Wars geeks' heads just a-sploded!" you really are a pig, man!
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa
I mean, even in another thread about UPS, we got to see some girl's decent into the land of impending yeast infections.

this is fast becomming my favorite thread.
icon10.gif

in the interests of equal time, here is something for the ladies:
aprince.jpg

say hello to the "asian prince"!

Nov 9, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #75 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
in the interests of equal time, here is something for the ladies:
aprince.jpg

say hello to the "asian prince"!

Yes, but can he act?
lambda.gif