$5-6k headphone amp suggestions/thoughts
May 10, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #31 of 65
For that kind of dough I would probably look at getting something custom made. Personally, I would get a DHT 45 Tube amp with the absolute best iron I could afford. I would probably think AudioNote OCC Silver wound output transformers, which would probably be just $1500 in iron alone. Inductors and tons of iron in general with all polypropylene caps in the power supply. I think from a parts and design quality standpoint, the TTVJ seems a real winner.

May 10, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #32 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're going to spend $5k-$6k, get the best. Don't settle for 12AU7 and 12AX7 tubes. Those were originally engineered for inexpensive consumer products - not high-end audio. You want meaty triodes, at least octal tubes. And insist on point-to-point wiring. For that amount of money, don't settle for anything. $2k can get you top shelf parts for a custom 300B. The rest could be spent at a machine shop getting the exact case you want, a few sets of tubes and a happy, motivated builder.

Agreed. 12AU7s do NOT belong in audio amplifiers, their original application is in oscillators and handling sawtooth waves in TV and some industrial applications, they were never designed to be linear and they can't be made to work linearly unless it's as a CCS'd cathode follower. Even then there are far more linear tubes. 12AU7s belong in guitar amps, not hi-fi. The 12AX7 isn't as bad, but again, there are far better choices for hi-fi.

Personal thoughts. Run everything on directly heated triodes, Emission Labs makes a full line of them, use the 20A or 20B for input with the AD1, 2A3, or 300B on output duties. Use LC or transformer coupling along with a good set of output transformers. You can also substitute a 205D or WE437A as the input tube, these are very linear low distortion tubes which won't hold back the DHT output stage. Use the good stuff, it's within your budget.

May 10, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #33 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For that kind of dough I would probably look at getting something custom made. Personally, I would get a DHT 45 Tube amp with the absolute best iron I could afford.

Try the Emission Labs AD1, everything you love in a good 45 but with more control and balls. I'm somewhat amazed and very pleased that this outstanding tube is finally back in production, the AD1 is every bit as special, and arguably even more so than the original production Western Electric 300Bs.

May 10, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #34 of 65
and who would build this amp?

you guys act like there are several reliable and experienced custom builders available. i don't think that's the case.

May 10, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #35 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and who would build this amp?

you guys act like there are several reliable and experienced custom builders available. i don't think that's the case.

I have probably 5 really good close sources that could build something like that for me right now. These are guys where a DHT headphone amp point to point wired would be pretty straightforward for them. Plenty of qualified individuals too on DIYaudio and such. The biggest thing would be the monetary aspect, but man with that much cash the sky is the limit and IMO none of the majors really could build me something that I would be happy with for that amount. So you go custom, plain and simple. If you want the fast food drive thru then I would say the TTVJ would be up my alley personally.

May 10, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #36 of 65
Quote:

If you want the fast food drive thru then I would say the TTVJ would be up my alley personally.

I dont know...having an amp hand built by Pete Millet himself...I think thats more fine dining than fast food
wink.gif

Fine dining drive through I guess.

May 11, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #37 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont know...having an amp hand built by Pete Millet himself...I think thats more fine dining than fast food
wink.gif

Fine dining drive through I guess.

LOL sorry there was supposed to be some sarcasm thrown in there, as in a $5-$6K amp that you can buy right now, very expensive and classy fast food for sure
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #38 of 65
Quote:

LOL sorry there was supposed to be some sarcasm thrown in there, as in a $5-$6K amp that you can buy right now, very expensive and classy fast food for sure
biggrin.gif

There is still a 1 month wait time for TTVJ to get stock, and there is no guarantee it dosnt take TTVJ as long to fill millett orders as it takes moon audio to fill singlepower orders.

On the topic of fast food: I would also say that fast food amps are machine built. even if its mass-produced, a hand built amp is NO WHERE near fast food. You COULD get away with comparing it to a coal cooked burger at a country club picnic, but not fast food.

May 11, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #39 of 65
Many people could build a custom, it doesn't have to be someone at Head-Fi. There are many who build power amps, and there are hundreds, if not thousands, of custom builders and repairmen for radio restoration and amateur radio. Radios are way more complex than amps are - a radio has several sections in addition to amplification. Most of the people who work on this stuff also dabble in hi-fi - they typically keep an old Dynaco, Scott, Fisher, etc. they've restored around for music.

Also, those guys tend to have uber-exotic test gear and many have spent their lives working in electronics. They usually charge a more reasonable rate, as well.

Personally, I'd cast around for someone who builds linear RF amps. Those are similar, some still use tubes, and the builder will know a thing or two about mucking with high voltages.

May 11, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #40 of 65
I would get a 6-channel Beta-22, wired as an integrated amp, 2 inputs, with balanced and single ended headphone and speaker outputs. And add in one of Borbely's new DAC modules with JFET buffer, with USB input, in dual differential config (my dream system).

May 12, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #42 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is still a 1 month wait time for TTVJ to get stock, and there is no guarantee it dosnt take TTVJ as long to fill millett orders as it takes moon audio to fill singlepower orders.

On the topic of fast food: I would also say that fast food amps are machine built. even if its mass-produced, a hand built amp is NO WHERE near fast food. You COULD get away with comparing it to a coal cooked burger at a country club picnic, but not fast food.

Touche - I stand corrected
biggrin.gif
The TTVJ is definitely not a fast food amp.
tongue.gif

May 12, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #43 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway I did talk to Todd, he said build time is around 2-4 weeks for the 307A

you would probably be one of the first head-fiers to get one, assuming you went ahead with it.

May 12, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #45 of 65
Markl uses this one, from what I understand:

HIC SUNT LEONES.....RP010

Seems like an amp that caters well to both low- and high-impendance cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back