4 amp showdown! - Hifiman EF5, Decware Zenhead, Schiit Asgard, Cavalli CTH!!!!
Jul 19, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #76 of 90
This is BR777's new pride and Joy...

CTH%20inside.jpg

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #81 of 90
interesting thread so far

I'm a fan of the CTH, although it isn't the cavalli I'd put up as the best contestant in an amp shootout in this price range. The SOHA II is a more technically refined amp for not much more money. Same "Cavalli" sound, just a bit more polished. If you get a chance to hear a SOHA II after becoming familiar with the CTH, it's an interesting contrast.

There's lots of tube opinions for the CTH and a long thread in DIY. If you're willing to spend a bit more, my favs in order:
Mullard 6DJ8 (Brit marked Mullard &  IEC)
Siemens 6DJ8 (German yellow/blue box Rohre)
Bugle Boy 6DJ8 (Dutch)
They're all ~$25 tubes as singles though. Tubes really make or break the sound of this amp and it's a worthwhile investment IMO to spend on at least one expensive tube. My recommendation if you only spring for one is the Bugle boy, even though I like the mullard and siemens a bit more but for different reasons.

The best cheap upgrade for the CTH I've found is to swap out the alps volume pot for a "ebay" stepped attenuator. It makes a more positive difference than cap rolling. The big clunky one I installed is visible in this poor cell phone camera pic. Much smaller SMD based ones that would fit the standard short case are cheap & available on ebay.

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #82 of 90

Quote:
interesting thread so far

I'm a fan of the CTH, although it isn't the cavalli I'd put up as the best contestant in an amp shootout in this price range. The SOHA II is a more technically refined amp for not much more money. Same "Cavalli" sound, just a bit more polished. If you get a chance to hear a SOHA II after becoming familiar with the CTH, it's an interesting contrast.

There's lots of tube opinions for the CTH and a long thread in DIY. If you're willing to spend a bit more, my favs in order:
Mullard 6DJ8 (Brit marked Mullard &  IEC)
Siemans 6DJ8 (German yellow/blue box Rohr)
Bugle Boy 6DJ8 (Dutch)
They're all ~$25 tubes as singles though. Tubes really make or break the sound of this amp and it's a worthwhile investment IMO to spend on at least one expensive tube. My recommendation if you only spring for one is the Bugle boy, even though I like the mullard and siemans a bit more but for different reasons.

The best cheap upgrade for the CTH I've found is to swap out the alps volume pot for a "ebay" stepped attenuator. It makes a more positive difference than cap rolling.

i dont remember the details but more than one person told me the soha II wouldnt play as/sound as good with the thunderpants..i was about to buy a soha II with...bijous or jisbos... or something like that but was persuaded against it. i think if i upgrade i will try for something more along the lines of a stacker II, EHHA, or liquid something or other, but that will be a while im sure...

thanks for the tube reccomendations.. im really enjoying this russian tube suprisingly enough, though im sure ill try many others eventually.  right now all my funding is being dumped into a new dac.

never heard about the attenuator, though i am a far cry from a DYI guy, so i dont know if i could make that happen.   Eventually I plan to buy cfcubed's fancy CTH, so maybe i can speak to him about it... ive always had reservations about stepped attenuators though... anyway worth a bit of research... thanks

by the way thats an impressive collection you got going there.
wink_face.gif

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #83 of 90

Quote:
i think if i upgrade i will try for something more along the lines of a stacker II, EHHA, or liquid something or other, but that will be a while im sure...

The EHHA is an impressive amp, and I loved wiatrob's balanced EHHA for the 3 weeks I borrowed it last October.

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #84 of 90
Quote:
Br777 said:

thanks for the tube reccomendations.. im really enjoying this russian tube suprisingly enough, though im sure ill try many others eventually.  right now all my funding is being dumped into a new dac.

Mostly echoing some of bada bing's thoughts/opinions, here's a few of mine:
  1. taken far enough think you will notice/find tube/gear synergies, esp tube/headphone ones.  E.g. pairing "bass heavy" tube w/"bass lite" cans, pairing a somewhat "rolled top" tube w/bright source or bright cans, etc. It is an option not open in SS amps.   Much, much more info & opinion in the CTH Tube & tweaks thread....
  2. find the Mullard he mentions to be on the mellow side w/slightly rolled off highs - better w/brighter sounding cans. 
  3. the BB a bit punchy - good for bringing life to flatter cans.  I've a good one I'd be willing to part with very reasonably - PM me if interested.
  4. the Siemens "chrome plate" I rave about, perhaps like other Siemens tubes but manufactured to higher/closer spec?, is one I always come back to.  Hard to put a finger on it, but I very much like its presentation & with most/all cans.
  5. a common current production tube, the EH 12au7/ECC82, is worth consideration.  To me it's almost like turning on the "loudness" switch (bass & treble both seem elevated).
  6. I too will try a pot upgrade in my next CTH (alps black beauty), mainly because I plan for that to be my last CTH build.
  7. haven't heard a SOHA II but have seen feedback like bada bing's.  Keep in mind though it requires 2 tubes and it'd be much more expensive to go way overboard as I have:

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #85 of 90
I'd say don't bother yourself with the 6DJ8 in the CTH. Just go with RCA 6CG7.

Also the reason the CTH sounds better than the EF-5 is simpoly cause it is a better designed product. No steeking opamps in the signal path, a simple discrete complimentary refined diamond buffer.
Oh and its a Cavalli..need i say more. :p

The EHHA would be the next logical step up IMHO. As nice as the SOHA2 is, I personally prefer the CTH over it.
So for an upgrade look into a Toshiba 2232/968 based BJT version of the EHHA. Keep in mind though that the size of the EHHA is going to be huge compared to that of the CTH, and even then there is no guarantee that you will like the EHHA more.

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #86 of 90

Quote:

Also the reason the CTH sounds better than the EF-5 is simpoly cause it is a better designed product. No steeking opamps in the signal path, a simple discrete complimentary refined diamond buffer.

The EHHA would be the next logical step up IMHO. As nice as the SOHA2 is, I personally prefer the CTH over it.
So for an upgrade look into a Toshiba 2232/968 based BJT version of the EHHA. Keep in mind though that the size of the EHHA is going to be huge compared to that of the CTH, and even then there is no guarantee that you will like the EHHA more.

opamp snob

tongue.gif

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #87 of 90
I dont anticipate upgrading anytime soon.. no funds... i have a feeling that if funds come, i may start down the road of a Bravo/Supplier/usb isolator... but we'll see...

Quote:

Oct 6, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #88 of 90
As a child of the 70's, the picture below reminds me of that time of year when you break out the musty boxes (from attic or garage) and help your Dad put up the ornaments and lights...

Santa please bring a tube amp or the skills to build one.

Quote:

Oct 8, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #89 of 90
Being a child of the 60's with a father that fixed TVs as a side business influenced the amps I chose to build.  It was cool having that shop in the house w/all kinds of gear in it.
IIRC I was burning fingers by age 10:)

BTW one only needs a couple/few tubes to experience different flavoring in the CTH as it only uses a single tube & supports a large variety of them.  I can safely dispense w/at least 1/2 those tubes & still have more then I need...
Quote:
As a child of the 70's, the picture below reminds me of that time of year when you break out the musty boxes (from attic or garage) and help your Dad put up the ornaments and lights...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back