4 amp showdown! - Hifiman EF5, Decware Zenhead, Schiit Asgard, Cavalli CTH!!!!
Jul 9, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #47 of 90
well it looks as if the CTH is going to pan out, so this will become a 4 amp showdown...   the asgard continues to burn, probably tomorrow i will give my final impressions and verdict between the ef5 and asgard...

at this point the zen head is up for sale- all be it a really great amp, its not so much fit for the thunderpants... though to be fair.. the ef5, which works great with the pants, did not sound good at all with my last ath w1000x cans, while the decware really shined, so its not simply a matter of the decware being a lesser amp.  Its just not at home with a pair of ginourmous orthos, which im willing to bet, it was not intended for.

that said..  still a very tough call as to whether to keep the ef5 - but to be fair.. the asgard does have a trial period, and the ef5 obviously does not, so to return the asgard, and keep the option open to sell the ef5 at some point if i choose, would be muuuuuch easier and more logical than selling the ef5 now and trying to sell the asgard later which would be inevatible only because i know ill want to upgrade sooner or later- I would probably have to take a pretty big loss to resell the asgard.. especially since its still in its honeymoon on head-fi.

@francisdemarte - im certainly interested in trying other Cavalli amps given their reputation, but they are hard to come by as they are all DIY jobs, and I am by no stretch a DIYer nor do i intend to be.  I have only seen FS for CTH, but it will probably bring a good fight to this showdown, given its $200 price tag, and reputation for being extraordinary for its price.   It seems I have a draw towards these tube hybrid amps...   I cant wait to hear skylabs impression of the pants with his csp2, as that is my dream amp, and i have no idea if its a good match for the Mighty Thunderpants

Jul 10, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #48 of 90
Well, the asgard has been burning in non stop, and while it still has time to go, i have been listening to it exclusively all day.  The results continue to be consistent

the asgard- more attack, more precision, tighter sound, and slightly more forward mids and highs, and slightly thinner sound (thinner should not be read as bad or lacking, its simply a comparison to the fuller sound of the ef5 which is not better... they are different sounds for different tastes.

the ef5 - rounder, fuller sound due to more forward bass and low mids, but less prominent upper mids / highs.  overall sound is a bit more laid back - voices are fuller, clearer, more true to life and pure sounding.. liquid is a good word.  the ef5 definately wins the vocal presentation, and frankly the overall music presentation.. its like adding more musicality.. but tubes will do that.

what i found after listening to the asgard all days was that i kind of forgot what the ef5 sounded like.  I got used to hearing the asgard.  i just switched back to the ef5 during my all time favorite album

paul simon Rhythm of the Saints.  it has a bit of everything: the silky smoothe lead singer, lots of fast beats - drums, backup singers, and what not, odd synth and instruments galore, and a great mix.  I was enjoying the music very much on the asgard, then i looked over at my lonely ef5 that had been on all day waiting for a comparison without playing a single note.  so i switched mid song, and immediately was flooded with all the reasons why i prefer the ef5 over the others.

the music took on a new life.  it felt.. well more alive, more clear, more pure.. the word liquid keeps coming to mind..  those smoothe smoothe tube mids just swoon me every time.  yes the low end is bit more bloated.. well full is a better word.. bloated gives the wrong impressoin... and yes a little precision and technicality is lost from the music, but i think again that is what really gets me.  everything sort of lightly smoothes together and feels more musical and engaging..  more real. the drums have more rhythym and swing.  I cant deny it.. the asgard just cant do it for me like the ef5 can

so thats really the last word for me. (well.. probably not...)

the asgard is a great amp, it is precise, it extends top to bottom, it delivers the music cleanly and clearly, and in every way it works and sounds great, it really does...but for my taste that tube hybrid sound is like spreading a layer of silk over the music... the cherry on top.

the asgard will go back (ill probably give it a week just because i can
tongue_smile.gif
, and the ef5 will reign supreme unless the cavalli CTH can knock it from its throne...   and if it does, well wow  even better sound would be faaaaaaaaaantastic! and if it doesnt, well knowing me ill keep looking... i guess we'll see. stay tuned

Jul 10, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #49 of 90
Great impressions. 

The CTH was slightly better than the EF1 when I compared them last year, even after rolling the tubes in both amps a bit.  But the differences weren't huge (posted in the CTH or EF1 thread, I forget now).  

I don't have either of those amps to compare to my EF5 anymore, but I still have the EF5 and the others are long gone.  So, I can't predict how the CTH vs EF5 battle will end, but I do know the EF5 is a good match for driving the power hungry HE-5 and HE-5 LE. 

Jul 10, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #50 of 90
thanks.. im doing my best to get ahold of a CTH.  of course what id really like to do is convince sachu to sell me his stacker II,   but i dont really think thats gonna happen, nor do i know how much it would cost.

is it possible to have someone make one of those for me or is that amp more of a living legend never to be reproduced again?

Jul 10, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #51 of 90
Since you've decided on returning the Asgard, do you think you'll give the Valhalla a try when that comes out? It'll be highly entertaining for you to compare against the EF5 I think
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #52 of 90

Quote:
thanks.. im doing my best to get ahold of a CTH.  of course what id really like to do is convince sachu to sell me his stacker II,   but i dont really think thats gonna happen, nor do i know how much it would cost.

is it possible to have someone make one of those for me or is that amp more of a living legend never to be reproduced again?

The CTH should actually be a great amp for the TPs..just make sure the output resistors are jumpered and some nice vitamin q  or auricap coupling caps with a 6CG7 cleartop should rock with almost any ortho.
This would give you a taste of the staacker's prowess..

Jul 12, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #54 of 90
You might also want to consider upgrading the opamp in the EF5 too. PM Hiflight, the new opamp gives a touch more clarity to the overall presentation that may be just what you are looking for. 

Jul 12, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #56 of 90
PM Hiflight about the cost, I think it's about $45.

No soldering it's socketed. Just removed the top plexi, grab the chip with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull straight up. Mine had a dab of silicon glue under the chip which made it slightly harder to pull off the socket. 

Make sure you line up the new chip correctly (they are marked) and push it into the socket.

Other comments in this post:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/454647/head-direct-ef-5-headphone-amplifier/120#post_6231054

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #58 of 90
well folks, we have a new contender for world champion entering the showdown.  The Cavalli CTH (compact tube hybrid) ships today! 

This is another tube hybrid, and rumor has it, it may just give the ef5 - our current champion - a run for its money.  considering the price of the CTH was $200, and the ef5 goes for twice that, this will be a showdown to watch for sure. 

If the CTH deals the death blow, the ef5 will of course be for sale, along with the already for sale decware zen head.

I actually really like how the EF5 sounds, so if i notice a substantial difference from the CTH I'm going be a happy little audiophile - and honestly, If i had to place a wager here, id put my money on the CTH.

stay tuned!

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #59 of 90

Quote:
well folks, we have a new contender for world champion entering the showdown.  The Cavalli CTH (compact tube hybrid) ships today! 

This is another tube hybrid, and rumor has it, it may just give the ef5 - our current champion - a run for its money.  considering the price of the CTH was $200, and the ef5 goes for twice that, this will be a showdown to watch for sure. 

If the CTH deals the death blow, the ef5 will of course be for sale, along with the already for sale decware zen head.

I actually really like how the EF5 sounds, so if i notice a substantial difference from the CTH I'm going be a happy little audiophile - and honestly, If i had to place a wager here, id put my money on the CTH.

stay tuned!

Sometimes you only hear what you want to hear, or expect to hear.

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #60 of 90
^ you're entitled to interpret my reviews however you wish.  just know that my intentionally theatrical build up  is not necessarily reflective of my actual review process

Users who are viewing this thread

Back