3rd grade Geography Lesson
Dec 16, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #3 of 33
You know, this show really bothers me, because the ability to retain random facts through rote memorization really has nothing to do with how intelligent you are.

I taught myself how to build a computer, how to be a photographer, how to use complex photo and audio editing programs; I can pick up any electronic device and learn to use it within minutes with no instructions or prior experience; I learn new concepts quickly and can apply them in the real world without being told or instructed.

But because I can't name the capital of some random country or recall some arcane historical fact, I guess that means I'm just plain dumb.

Dec 16, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But because I can't name the capital of some random country or recall some arcane historical fact, I guess that means I'm just plain dumb.

Not at all. Heck, you could be President some day!

Dec 16, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #8 of 33
Exhibit #2:
biggrin.gif

YouTube - Americans are NOT stupid - WITH SUBTITLES

Dec 16, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #10 of 33
I at least thought she'd say "Hungry" - I mean at least it rhymes.

When I told a friend I was moving to Helsinki, she asked why I was moving to Africa....

Hey, we can't all remember facts, figures, and dates, but if we know we don't know something, and we know we don't have enough context to go on to build an edumacated guess, then we should learn to **** and not show how stoopid we are.

I need to watch that Youtube clip again to make sure I saw what I think I saw, but if I did, then Australia is about to become a parking lot.

Dec 16, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

You know, this show really bothers me, because the ability to retain random facts through rote memorization really has nothing to do with how intelligent you are.

I taught myself how to build a computer, how to be a photographer, how to use complex photo and audio editing programs; I can pick up any electronic device and learn to use it within minutes with no instructions or prior experience; I learn new concepts quickly and can apply them in the real world without being told or instructed.

I agree - knowledge != intelligence.

Seems we all like to make fun of anyone who can't do something we can do.

GAD

Dec 16, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snip

I need to watch that Youtube clip again to make sure I saw what I think I saw, but if I did, then Australia is about to become a parking lot.

What is it you think you saw, and why would Australia become a parking lot?

Dec 16, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #13 of 33
Not knowing what Europe is, is being very, very dumb, period. It's similar to not knowing that milk comes from cows or that the earth is round!
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Dec 16, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

It's the fact that she thought Europe was a country that makes her a moron, not that she didn't know that Hungary's capital is Budapest.

Dec 16, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #15 of 33
I didn't watch the whole video; I was just commenting on that show in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back