3rd grade Geography Lesson
Dec 16, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

I taught myself how to build a computer, how to be a photographer, how to use complex photo and audio editing programs; I can pick up any electronic device and learn to use it within minutes with no instructions or prior experience; I learn new concepts quickly and can apply them in the real world without being told or instructed.

Wow!- but how much money do you make?

Dec 17, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #17 of 33
Not as much as I'd like, that's for sure.

[size=xx-small]You know, my knowledge of geography isn't even that bad...It's just the principle of the thing that bugs me so much.[/size]

Dec 17, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, this show really bothers me, because the ability to retain random facts through rote memorization really has nothing to do with how intelligent you are.

I taught myself how to build a computer, how to be a photographer, how to use complex photo and audio editing programs; I can pick up any electronic device and learn to use it within minutes with no instructions or prior experience; I learn new concepts quickly and can apply them in the real world without being told or instructed.

But because I can't name the capital of some random country or recall some arcane historical fact, I guess that means I'm just plain dumb.

I wouldn't call you stupid if you could not name the country where Budapest is in. I would just call you either completely oblivous and blind to the outside world or dumb if you did not know Europe is not a country. That is somethng almost anyone could learn from reading a newspaper once. I'm not going to call her stupid, just very very oblivous. And that is a tragedy. I hope you would no such basic information about the world.

Dec 17, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not knowing what Europe is, is being very, very dumb, period. It's similar to not knowing that milk comes from cows or that the earth is round!
rolleyes.gif

What are you talking about!! I get my milk from the store.

Dec 17, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #20 of 33
Intelligence is all well and good but when combined with gross ignorance it equals much of what we see here. Uninformed people, many who are happy to spout off about things they evidently know nothing about. As we've all seen, not knowing anything about something never seems to stop people forming dumb opinions on the matter and that's just scary.

The stuff in these clips isn't rocket science, it's basic general knowledge that I would expect anyone with half a brain to have some clue about. Surely they must have some innate curiosity about their world outside the local shopping mall!

It's also in no way limed to the US either, I came across this all over in the UK too.

Dec 17, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you talking about!! I get my milk from the store.

But the big question is: where does the store get the milk from??? MUUUAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA (evil laugh!
tongue.gif
) LOL

Seriously, I don't wan't to turn this into politics or insult anyone, but while I was living in the US, I felt that I knew more about the USA than the majority of Americans I knew. I knew more about your history, geography, foreign relations, science, etc.

Most people didn't know where Portugal is...

Dec 17, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #23 of 33
It was probably nerves, because of the beauty pageant, but I'll concede yurup is one hell of a large country! :wink:

Dec 17, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #25 of 33
Sure.... you can't call someone stupid for not being able to solve differential equations... but basic geography etc is something that people should know.

I'm from Ukraine and it amazes me how many people (like...most) ask me if thats in Russia.

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheynkman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure.... you can't call someone stupid for not being able to solve differential equations... but basic geography etc is something that people should know.

I'm from Ukraine and it amazes me how many people (like...most) ask me if thats in Russia.

Who cares? Ukraine, Russia.. same thing
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

I am from Belarus and I gave up a explaining to people that its a country in Europe near Russia a LONG time ago.\

To be 100% honest, before watching that, I had no idea that Budapest was capital of Hungary, but now I think I will never forget it.

Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United States of America, Uruguay, Uzbekistan... these are all the countries that begin with U.

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #27 of 33
I asked my girlfriend if she knew what the capital of France was (I knew) while watching this video as a little experiment. I said, "I'm pretty sure that its Paris." She said "I thought it was Moscow." I said, "thats in Russia". She then said "Wait. I mean Morocco." I said, "I'm pretty sure thats a country itself."

Shes going to Europe on Spring Break. I hope I get her back.

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who cares? Ukraine, Russia.. same thing
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

I am from Belarus and I gave up a explaining to people that its a country in Europe near Russia a LONG time ago.\

To be 100% honest, before watching that, I had no idea that Budapest was capital of Hungary, but now I think I will never forget it.

Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United States of America, Uruguay, Uzbekistan... these are all the countries that begin with U.

OUCH!
"The" Ukraine, Uzbekistan, I missed those, but you missed the UK, so you're, what, 20% smarter than me.

But then again, if you've seen one "splinter republic" you've seen them all. (peace..just kidding)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back