3D printed headphones
Feb 8, 2013 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MichaelGr

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am playing with this thought of printing a 3D headphone from scratch.
(I can use different colors, textures: plastic, more elastic)

cannot even predict the quality that will come out. 

Anyone have any experience printing headphones?!

any pros and cons?!

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 12
Are you talking about printing of parts such as the cups and grills? Could be interesting. 
popcorn.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #5 of 12
I want to print the whole headphone. 
This is a versatile method, I can print the headphones as a whole or divide into separated parts.
I guess by parts will minimize the error of each component instead of whole printing gone bad.
I'm thinking sketching the headphones in Solid into three parts. arch, cups and driver base.

I want to use the KSC75 koss drivers.

I just don't have guidelines to follow designing each part...

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 12
It kind of depends on what method you're planning to use. Most rapid prototyping systems will produce parts that are VERY fragile, even with post production treatment. I don't think most methods will produce a headphone that will hold up to normal use. Selective laser sintering would give you the strongest parts, but it's also one of the most expensive systems. Even a cheaper system will probably end up costing you hundreds of dollars to make the headphones. Furthermore, if the method you're using doesn't have built in support for the part, you'll have to design supports to keep the part steady as it's being build, and etch it away in solution later. Plus, you'll have trouble figuring out the sonic properties of the materials if you're thinking of tuning the parts, because materials used in rapid prototyping are often secret formulas developed by companies in the business that are said to be similar to a more widely used material, but the exact formulas are not revealed. Unless you have a design that's impossible to produce using traditional methods, you're probably better off finding another way to make your headphones.

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 12
my biggest concern is the sonic properties of the materials. i can't predict what will come out.
as for the printing itself, i am aware of all the issues. i have some printed toys laying around and they are pretty rigid.     
the toys being abused by little kids are holding up. they can break if they fall as anything else.
the major problem is massive use or stretching the arch(i can combine the printing with an elastic material) or thin joints. ill take all in consideration when planning.     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back