$360 Budget, Best Sound Experience for Headphones
Sep 15, 2010 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jonnieos

New Head-Fier
Sound Source: Realtek Onboard Model ALC889: http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=173 for all info.

Just want the best overall headphone-sound-experience for the money. I really don't think there should be much need to sacrifice when I'm spending nearly 400 bucks on a headphone setup, but I'm not sure what to get.

I've been looking at tons and tons of stuff, have been going back and forth with headphones that should be amped and headphones that don't need it. This is my first jump into audiophile gear and I won't to add what headphones I've been looking at to distort what you guys recommend. Feel free to recommend headphones+amp+soundcard or maybe just headphones+soundcard or possibly just headphones+amp. I do believe I have pretty good sound coming from my onboard though, I believe it's both 24 bit and 192khz sample rate, so I'm not sure if a new source will make a difference in how it sounds. Please help me out though, I'm definitely a newbie to audiophile headphones so I need to see what you guys think I should get.

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #3 of 12
I'd strongly suggest upgrading your onboard sound to something in the ~$150 price range like a UDac-2 or Musiland Monitor 02. I've got a similar realtek onboard sound with 24/192 and it isn't that good. Then look for a pair of low impedance cans for around $200 that suit your preferences. Ultrasone, Audio Technica, and Grados, and low impedance Beyerdynamic all have good headphones in your price range with their main differences being sound signature.

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 12
Onboard soundcards suck. What might seem to be "pretty good" now will be unbearable once you get a dedicated DAC, and it's worth it if you'll be using a high quality headphone. Is $360 your overall budget for everything or just your headphones?

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 12
Yeah...I concur. Get a uDac2... great for the money. Then a pair of Grados 225i or other in similar price range. Thius would be a great start to the world of hi-fi.
Make sure your music is enocoded at a high bit rate or lossless.

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 12
Well I've thought it out and I could get the Asus Essence STX for $162.99 with a coupon code and then pair it with the Sennheiser HD 595 for $169.99 with some leg room left over then get a dedicated amp down the road. BUT I'd really hate it if I knew the HD 595 didn't have as much sound stage as the AD700. Meaning I could get the AD700 for $85.83, tack on the Asus Essence STX for $162.99, and then possibly add in a dedicated amplifier if it would make a further noticeable difference, (purely to make up for lack of bass because that's the one fault I've seen in these headphones). But that's where I'm stuck anyways, lemme know if I have some noob mistakes in these plans. I also had an original plan to get the Musiland 02 USB "Soundcard" Amplifier for $129.99, but I couldn't get a definitive answer as to whether or not it would be using my onboard sound or if it would be THE acting soundcard for the attached headphones, (I was leaning towards either the DT990 for $229.95 to go with it, just barely keeping the total in my budget). Let me know if my ideas are any good or if they're filled with greenhorn mistakes, as I've been working with cheap logitech gear until now.

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I suggest holding off on the equipment considerations for a minute.

What types of music do you listen to? 

I listen to hip hop, rock, anything that you would consider a good pump up jam. I enjoy immersion in movies and the 3d space while gaming. I'm either gaming, or listening to music while gaming. But I'll be getting some blu-ray movies to watch on my pc soon hopefully.

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 12
OK, now that a minute is up... how do you listen to music while gaming? Are you gaming on a console like xbox while using your PC for music, or are you using a source other than your PC for music while gaming on your PC? 

If PC gaming is your priority, you may be better off getting a gaming sound card, or use your on board sound for gaming. I suggest posting in the computer forum for help determining this.  You first need to know whether you're going to buy a gaming sound card or not, and how much money you will have left in your budget for other equipment.   

Quote:
I listen to hip hop, rock, anything that you would consider a good pump up jam. I enjoy immersion in movies and the 3d space while gaming. I'm either gaming, or listening to music while gaming. But I'll be getting some blu-ray movies to watch on my pc soon hopefully.

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
OK, now that a minute is up... how do you listen to music while gaming? Are you gaming on a console like xbox while using your PC for music, or are you using a source other than your PC for music while gaming on your PC? 

If PC gaming is your priority, you may be better off getting a gaming sound card, or use your on board sound for gaming. I suggest posting in the computer forum for help determining this.  You first need to know whether you're going to buy a gaming sound card or not, and how much money you will have left in your budget for other equipment.   

Quote:

I'm using the PC as my source for sound, and since I only have onboard I decided that I should get a high quality dedicated sound source. I was looking at gaming soundcards (mainly creative xifi), but realized that I can get the same and better from Asus, especially with the Xonar Essence STX. But I ended up finding that I could use the Musiland Monitor 02 for even better sound/amp/dac for cheaper. I can get the Musiland Monitor 02 for $122.99 and I can get the Beyerdynamic DT990 for $229.95, this combo will fit my budget. Let me know if this combo is a good idea, remember I want a huge soundstage (gaming and movies), and I want it to be great for hip hop and rock, any pump up music. As for my xbox 360, I will be wearing a TB Earforce Headset for chat on xbox live, so I won't really be worried about that portion too much. Tell me what you think please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back