$350CAD HERUS: Asynchronous USB Audio 2.0, 24bit 352.8Ks/S, DXD and DSD64/128, 2.4VRMS Headphone DAC
Jun 5, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #226 of 326

I wouldn't call it so-so at all. Is it up to the same standard as the DAC portion? Maybe not. But it remains pleasing enough to my ears - especially with lower impedance dynamics like Grado, Audio Technica, Focal Spirit Pro, etc. 

+1, not at all just so-so, rather very good or even great on all of the 'phones I own.

Admittedly the highest impedance of those is only the Sennheiser HD598, but with any reasonable load the Herus sounds quite good.

I also don't have any issue with hiss on the other end of the spectrum, the Yamaha EPH-100 at their specified 16 Ohms do not hiss.

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #227 of 326
Greetings,

Have any of you had the privilege of comparing the Herus to the Concero HP?  I'm trying to understand how much better is the HP.  I have a Herus right now driving low impedance headphones like the Sony MDR-7520.  I like what RL is doing.

Many Thanks,
Duy

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #228 of 326
Too bad the amp in this thing is so-so and not as good as the DAC, could have been a perfect portable rig for HD800

For people wondering why there aren't any USB dongle DAC / amps with a sufficiently quite noise floor, here's the answer.  Any time a new one comes out, every third comment is about if it drives the LCD-2s, or worse, the HD800s.  The result is that manufacturers all have to jack the gain up to silly levels.  Try using a Microstreamer or Dragonfly with IEMs.  Notice that listenable volumes are around 10 percent of the max.  The noise floor is impossible to keep silent with that much gain.  This technology should be a natural pairing with IEMs, which can be brutally revealing of a source, but require very little power.  Unfortunately, in order to sell units to the "will it drive the HD800s?" crowd, manufacturers have to build amp sections that don't work well with any headphones.

If looking for a portable amp to get much out of the HD800s, you might also consider looking for unicorns.  They don't currently exist.  Nor will they any time soon.

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #229 of 326
True. I have tried loads of DAC/AMP combos, and many have a high noise floor. But Meridian Explorer is dead silent. So is Denon DA-300USB.

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #230 of 326
For those interested, my review of the Herus is finally posted at InnerFidelity. I was considering putting it on the Wall of Fame but decided to hold off until I get more experience with a few of the other key models in the segment. I'm sending the Herus over to Tyll now and we'll see what he thinks. We may have more discussion of these devices coming soon. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #231 of 326
  For those interested, my review of the Herus is finally posted at InnerFidelity. I was considering putting it on the Wall of Fame but decided to hold off until I get more experience with a few of the other key models in the segment. I'm sending the Herus over to Tyll now and we'll see what he thinks. We may have more discussion of these devices coming soon. 

Well done John, nice write-up.

Jun 18, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #232 of 326

thanks. It does confirm what's being said here and on Headfonia. I can fully agree to it as well. I'm loving it as a DAC.

Jun 18, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #233 of 326
  Well done John, nice write-up.

Thanks!

thanks. It does confirm what's being said here and on Headfonia. I can fully agree to it as well. I'm loving it as a DAC.

Now that I'm done with my write up, I can actually go search for reviews. It's always tough to avoid them but I try my best until after I'm done with mine. 

Jun 23, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #234 of 326
Can anyone compare Herus with the ODAC?

And how much improvement can be expected if I add a 5V linear power supply to Herus? 

Thanks  a lot!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #235 of 326
Hi folks
I am relatively new to headphones, but since I am really appasionated of music and Hi-Fi i decided to buy headphones as well. After searching the internet for reviews, opinions and suggestions (a lot of them on this fantastic forum) I came to the conclusion that the classic AKG k702 will best fit my music taste and needs. What I need too, is of course some equipment to plug the AKGs in. I did some research here as well and now I am really interested in the Herus of which I read some really impressive things about.
My question is: will the Herus have enough power to drive the AKGs? (I read here it does).
My other question is: I do not really need a portable setup, I will mainly listen to it at home. Does the Herus have some disadvantage against a full size desktop system, beside some more power (or do I need it?)
My budget is about 350-450$ (300-350€; products a pricey in Europe, due to high taxes) and the Herus seems ideal to me as a allbin one solution. What do you think? Thank you in advantage :)

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #236 of 326
Has anyone  tried herus on a haswell laptop? My dell e7440 (i7-4600u) does not detect herus on all it's usb ports (laptop only has usb3.0 ports). No issue with other machines with usb2.0 ports. Works with Xperia V (android 4.2) as well. Thanks.

Jun 25, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #237 of 326
Just got the Herus yesterday, does this unit benefit from burn-in?

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #239 of 326
Hi folks
I am relatively new to headphones, but since I am really appasionated of music and Hi-Fi i decided to buy headphones as well. After searching the internet for reviews, opinions and suggestions (a lot of them on this fantastic forum) I came to the conclusion that the classic AKG k702 will best fit my music taste and needs. What I need too, is of course some equipment to plug the AKGs in. I did some research here as well and now I am really interested in the Herus of which I read some really impressive things about.
My question is: will the Herus have enough power to drive the AKGs? (I read here it does).
My other question is: I do not really need a portable setup, I will mainly listen to it at home. Does the Herus have some disadvantage against a full size desktop system, beside some more power (or do I need it?)
My budget is about 350-450$ (300-350€; products a pricey in Europe, due to high taxes) and the Herus seems ideal to me as a allbin one solution. What do you think? Thank you in advantage
smily_headphones1.gif

Herus does a good job with the K702, though it won't help that headphone for people who don't like the presentation. Sounds like you do so it should be a good match. Tons of detail. I don't really find any particular disadvantage to the Herus in a home situation, other than requiring an adapter cable if I want to connect an external DAC. I can't really think of a $350 unit that I'd rather use.

Has anyone  tried herus on a haswell laptop? My dell e7440 (i7-4600u) does not detect herus on all it's usb ports (laptop only has usb3.0 ports). No issue with other machines with usb2.0 ports. Works with Xperia V (android 4.2) as well. Thanks.

My Dell Inspiron 17R SE has a 4600U and it works fine. I doubt it's a Haswell thing but rather a USB port issue.... I've had various problems with accessories on USB 3.0 ports. Seems they aren't always as backward compatible as they should be. I even had a Toshiba where one USB 3.0 port worked with all my DACs and the next one (also 3.0) did not. Weird. 

Just got the Herus yesterday, does this unit benefit from burn-in?

As always, this is subjective. I say just dive right in, but also give it some time for your brain to become accustomed to the sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back