33rd birthday, XBA 4ip vs EX-1000
Mar 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

azureaura

100+ Head-Fier
Which one should I ask for from my wife? The XBA 4ip has good isolation, good separation and layering from instruments, but is not very neutral. My music stock is pop, rock and dance.

The EX-1000 is neutral, softer and more realistic with the bass and the midrange. Treble is brighter.

I also like complex passages of music.

If I went for the XBA 4ip, I would use it outside, and indoors with an amplifier like the Graham Slee Solo Diamond, or the Woo Audio WA7.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 7
I have also read the thread "two flagships pass in the night".

Do alot of you care that the XBA series are not neutral, as the soundstage and layering of instruments makes up for this?

Can you throw the SE535 into the mix, and is this a more neutral iem than the sony XBA 4, even though it isolates as well?

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 7
The XBA-4 has a successor in the XBA-40.  That's the one you should look into, apparently several of the flaws in the 4 have been corrected.  As to how it performs against the 1000, I can't say - have not had experience with either.

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 7
Phonak PFE 232`s are great for rock and pop, the bass is said to be the best of any ba and on par with the ex1000 and the highs have a unique twinkle, the Iem`s are quite neutral with a slight v signature. I`m selling my pair as I am a frequent traveler, with the 232`s requiring an amp to reach their full potential (Takes up too much space on my carry on), also the isolation is not great on planes (though better than the xba 4`s and ex1000`s). cheers

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 7
i think i will ask for the EX-1000 as the sweetness to the sound will be easier to live with over time, and the details are not lacking apparently, just not as in your face as a BA driver. High energy songs will be less involving, but less fatiguing.

I'm coming from a HD 25 II so value this neutral sound. These are said to be neutral for their price.

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 7
The EX1000 is the best IEM I've ever heard.  I prefer the sound of it to the rest of IEMs in my sig. 

There's 1 problem, the fit is horrible.  They do not isolate, and they protrude from your ears quite a bit, the cable its not very form fitting for over your ear either.  I simply cannot use these anywhere but sitting at my desk. 

I would hands down recommend the EX1000 as far as sound quality, but if you're planning on using these on the go it might be a deal breaker.

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 7
"I'm coming from a HD 25 II so value this neutral sound."
So I would then think the more neutral EX1000 would suit you better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back