300$ headphone advice
Feb 8, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #16 of 30
Fair enough but I think we should leave it up to the designers of the headphones to state whether they are closed or semi-open. I think referring to the D2000 as semi-open is incorrect and misleading to newcomers. It would make more sense to refer to them as closed-back headphones that don't isolate very well.

I don't have the D2000s to inspect and I can't find any pictures that show the holes you're talking about. I'm not doubting you, just curious. Can you post some pics?

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #17 of 30
The D2000's are discontinued, good luck getting them...I used to own the D2000's and I am finding the V-Moda M100's a wonderful replacement.

I would say the M100's are the new D2000's

To this day I still do not know which is better.

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:
There design is semi open, they have openings around the cups. There sound also backs this up sealed headphones don't have openings like that.

Openings around the cups? Can you please post the pictures of what you mean, as I didn't see any when opening them and D5K.
This review has plenty of pictures of them disassembled, can you point where are they?
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000

Sony MDR-1R for comparison has big bass ports on the top of the cups but they are still closed back.

Semi open in headphones world has slightly different meaning, presence of some openings like bass ports does not disqualify phones as closed back.
DT-880 for instance was always as open as open can be, but this is manufacturer description.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/at-home/music-pleasure/dt-880-edition.html
Quote:
• Excellent sound location
• Ambient sound is attenuated, but can be still perceived (semi-open design)

Guess they have some dampening material behind the back grill which makes them such.

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:
The M100's are also semi-open (V-ports)

Again... the M-100's are closed headphones. You're going to needlessly confuse a lot of people, especially newcomers, if you continue referring to closed-back headphones as semi-open just because they have a couple of open ports in the cups.

Headphones like the D2000 may not isolate very well for a closed headphone but they still isolate a whole lot better than an actual semi-open headphone like the DT880.

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #20 of 30
I believe the V-Ports are only there to let a bit of air in for a better bass response? 

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Again... the M-100's are closed headphones. You're going to needlessly confuse a lot of people, especially newcomers, if you continue referring to closed-back headphones as semi-open just because they have a couple of open ports in the cups.

THIS!

V-Moda M100s == CLOSED
Denon D2000 == CLOSED (PERIOD!)

The Reem SEEMS to be referring to the separation between the cup/metal holder and the pads (which is due to the "clip-on" style of the earpads to this holder...).

Anyway, to the OP, my suggestion would also be the Mad Dogs by MrSpeakers. For $300 and change you can get one of the best modded headphones out there and for $99 you could buy the Schitt Magni amp (which drives the Mad Dogs or most Dynamic headphones very well.!)

Good luck!

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:
I believe the V-Ports are only there to let a bit of air in for a better bass response? 

Yes. Lots of closed headphones have this.

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #23 of 30
I dont have the money at the moment to know about other closed headphones that have this.

Over the summer I plan to set myself of a nice listening station, Schiit stack, some HD-600/650 or AKG K702, maybe some Grado SR325i, dunno. Wish I had the money for a Woo Audio WA6, but I gotta start small right? 

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:
No worries ill stick some pics up later. There not overly visible tbh it's more of small gap around than a hole.

I know what 'gap' you're referring to, because I've disassembled these enough times. Sound doesn't come out of that gap though, it's where the wood 'slides' into the plastic gap. 

to the OP, get mad dogs and the receiver, or a Schiit Magni or a O2 amp. If you're listening to electronic music, the orthodynamic drivers will in the end give you texture and tonality across the bass regions. Dynamic drivers end up costing a lot more to really get the bass regions tight, accurate, and toned. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Headphones like the D2000 may not isolate very well for a closed headphone but they still isolate a whole lot better than an actual semi-open headphone like the DT880.

So what your saying is the M100's are quasi open then?

They have ports surely they must be something. I have read reviews refer to the D2000's as semi open.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:
So what your saying is the M100's are quasi open then?

They have ports surely they must be something. I have read reviews refer to the D2000's as semi open.

I don't know how I could possibly be clearer than I have already been. They are not quasi open. They are closed. So are the D2000s. The reviews you read misstated that, probably because the D2000 don't isolate very well for a closed can.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

I don't know how I could possibly be clearer than I have already been. They are not quasi open. They are closed. So are the D2000s. The reviews you read misstated that, probably because the D2000 don't isolate very well for a closed can.

Ah okay, I see....well I edited my original post as to not confuse people.

Do you think the V-ports on the M100 contribute to the wider then average soundstage? Or does it just help with bass response?

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:
Ah okay, I see....well I edited my original post as to not confuse people.

Do you think the V-ports on the M100 contribute to the wider then average soundstage? Or does it just help with bass response?

Just bass response, by allowing a small amount of air flow.

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #30 of 30
Actually you can get a brand new HD600 for $300 from RazorDogAudio (authorized Sennheiser dealer) either by submitting a best offer to his eBay listing or using the $100 off coupon code through his website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back