30$ IEM Recommendation
Nov 28, 2011 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Myself23

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I would like to ask you to recommend some IEMs for my sister. The budget is 35$.
She would like to have good sound (but not too neutral, not "Boring" sound) and comfort. She would also like it to include a case but if there are better IEMs which come without a case it would be fine.
It would be better if they would look "stylish", but again, if there's a better model which isn't that stylish it would be ok.

Thank you! :)

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #4 of 16
Could try the $25 JVC FXC51.  Fat bottom and a roller coaster of peaks as the frequencies go up and up.  I guess that could be called fun, and they're not bad... For $25...

There's reviews here and everywhere if you google it.  

I have a frequency graph posted somewhere, it starts high in the bass and takes a large dive downward to the midbass then slowly goes up and down three times maybe to the top.  A proper EQ curve took a few tries, and in the end I personally said I'll just take the unEQ'd roller coaster ride and have fun.  

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Are they balanced or do they have "fun" sound? Do you have personal experience with them?

Sorry. Should have typed that I have no personal experience with those iems. Low price and the things I've read all over interwebs are the basis for my "buy them opinion". :)

Quote:
(2C26) MEElectronics A151

Reviewed Jan 2011

Details: First armature-based earphone from MEElec
Current Price: $75 from meelec.com (MSRP: $74.99)
Specs: Driver: BA | Imp: 27Ω | Sens: 111 dB | Freq: 15-20k Hz | Cable: 3.9’ I-plug
Nozzle Size: 3mm | Preferred tips: Stock bi-flange, stock tri-flange, Sony Hybrids
Wear Style: Over-the-ear or straight down

Accessories (4/5) – Single-flange (3 sizes), bi-flange, and tri-flange silicone tips and zippered clamshell carrying case
Build Quality (4/5) – The housings are plastic but seem quite sturdy. A short sleeve protects the braided cable, which is by far the best thing about the earphones. The cord soft, flexible, and very light – a pleasure to use while out and about. The straight plug is quite generic but has adequate strain relief
Isolation (4/5) – The nozzles are thinner than those of the other Meelec earphones and despite the bulbous housings, the A151 can be inserted pretty deeply. Isolation is very impressive with the bi- and tri-flange tips
Microphonics (4.5/5) – The flexible braided cable carries very little noise but since the Meelecs can actually be worn cable-down (unlike the Westone earphones), a tiny bit of noise can be coaxed out of it with some effort
Comfort (4.5/5) – Though the A151 was designed for comfortable over-the-ear wear, it can be worn cable-down as well. Either way the nozzles are angled and of adequate length and the housings are rounded at the front for comfortable insertion. The light and unobtrusive cables helps make the A151 a pleasure to wear

Sound (7.5/10) – The mid-range IEM market has undergone some drastic changes in the past year and half, not the least of which has been the rapid influx of high-performance dynamic-driver earphones. Back when the <150 segment was dominated by the likes of the Westone UM1, Shure E3, UE SuperFi 3, and Ety ER6, single-armature was the de-facto standard in the price range. Despite the relatively high cost and some inherent limitations of single-armature designs, there is still much to like about such setups. Armature-based earphones are rarely lacking in control or clarity and have some practical advantages, such as the ability to function in a fully sealed chamber. All this can be said about the new A151 from MEElectronics, a single-armature design priced to compete with the likes of the Soundmagic PL50, Westone 1, and Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5.

Starting at the low end, the A151 immediately takes on typical armature characteristics – speed, control, and clarity to match the best earphones in the price bracket. Bass impact is just ahead of the Head-Direct RE0 and on-par with the Sunrise Xcape. Bass depth and extension aren’t competitive with bass-heavy dynamics like the Eterna, Nuforce NE-700X, or MEElec’s own CC51 but control and texture are very impressive. As with most single armatures, the driver struggles to remain detailed at the limit of its sub-bass response but, as with the pricier Westone 1, there is a bit of added mid-bass punch compared to the Soundmagic PL50 or UE SuperFi 5. The slight bit of added punch makes the A151 somewhat warm for an armature and there is a very slight lower-midrange bias. Despite this, the A151 sounds very accurate and carries good detail and texture through both the bass and the midrange. The mids are well-balanced – not forward but not noticeably recessed. Clarity is similar to the Head-Direct earphones but the A151 lacks the added bit of brightness resulting from the emphasized treble of the RE0 and RE-ZERO. It is also a touch less crisp, producing smoother, thicker, slightly less transparent notes.

The treble transition is smooth and neither harshness nor sibilance is present. The treble itself is clean, clear, low on sparkle, and slightly laid-back. All of the detail is there but it presented in a very non-fatiguing way. Compared to the brighter RE-ZERO, the darker A151 seems a touch less airy but also less fatiguing. Treble extension is good but treble emphasis is, expectedly, no match for my Ety HF3. There is also a bit of grain at the very top, likely resulting from the armature running out of steam at the very limit of its response range, but on the whole the A151 is slightly soft-spoken for an armature-based earphone. The soundstage is similar in size to the Sunrise Xcape and Head-Direct RE-ZERO – not gigantic but well-rounded and coherent. Instrumental separation and positioning are similarly good without being unnaturally exaggerated. Looking at the entire hierarchy of BA-based IEMs, the A151 reminds me most of the Klipsch Custom 3 – both have that slightly thick, dry, and full-bodied sound with an aversion to brightness and listening fatigue and a well-balanced presentation.

Value (9.5/10) – MEElec’s first armature-based earphone may not break any new sonic ground with its dry and accurate sound signature, but it delivers a very wholesome package of sound quality and functionality at a very reasonable price. The cable may just be the best I’ve seen on a sub-$100 earphone and the isolation, microphonics, and comfort all make the A151 a direct competitor of the much-pricier but similarly well-designed Westone 1. Fans of bassy, trebly, v-shaped, or mid-forward sound signatures would probably want to pick something else as the A151 is none of those things but if accuracy is a priority, the A151 competes with some of the better earphones in its price range.

Pros: High isolation, very comfortable with the right tips, excellent cable, solid sonic characteristics
Cons: N/A

http://www.head-fi.org/t/578951/meelectronics-a151-review

http://www.head-fi.org/t/551499/review-mee-a151

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541381/review-meelectronics-a151

http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/05/meelectronics-a151-review/

Nov 28, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Are they balanced or do they have "fun" sound? Do you have personal experience with them?

Ninja edit: I bought Meelec A151 just bit under 30$. This or CC51 should be quite a good deal in <30$ range.

Code Item Qty Price Grand Total
EP-A151-BK-MEE MEElectronics A151 Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphone 1 $74.99 $74.99
DSC-331 Cyber Monday A151 sale [EP-A151-BK-MEE] 1 -$35.00 -$35.00
DSC-175 Free US Shipping, $2.95 Off Int 1 -$2.95 -$2.95
DSC-277 Discount for fans of Clark Danger 1 -$7.41 -$7.41

Subtotal: $29.63
  Tax: $0.00
  Shipping Cost: $6.95
  Grand Total: $36.58[

Coupon codes: CYBER_MONDAY, SHIPPING_COUPON & CLARK_DANGER

Nov 28, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
Are they better than the cc51?

CC51 has recessed mids. Nevertheless bang for buck if you get a good deal. Beware, the nozzle is thicker and wont fit snug in small ear canals.

Quote:
Ninja edit: I bought Meelec A151 just bit under 30$. This or CC51 should be quite a good deal in <30$ range.

EP-A151-BK-MEE MEElectronics A151 Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphone 1 $74.99 $74.99

Didn't know about CLARK_DANGER discount :/

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:

You can't use the  Clark Danger coupon with the Cyber... one. However you can add the free shipping!

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
You can't use the  Clark Danger coupon with the Cyber... one. However you can add the free shipping!

Í already did. That's my receipt. I just wonder would I have done better if I had inserted Clark danger code first.
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back